Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Olympic coverage - some random observations [chunkytfg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chunkytfg wrote:
tiptopshop wrote:
What coverage do you have for streaming?

I'm in the UK so I get the best coverage but some very suspect pundits.

Forgot to add. In the UK the BBC doesnt have adverts so we get coverage uninterrupted
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic coverage - some random observations [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
sluiper wrote:

I would disagree with that. I like weightlifting and their coverage of that has been very spotty, same for judo & wrestling. Coverage of weightlifting in the last Olympics was very good, pretty much showing most of the A pool competitions. This time almost no snatch and just the closing of clean & jerk of the top few lifters. Pretty sure they've only shown some of the weight classes as well.

----

I can do without watching the jerking but more snatch would be nice

--
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic coverage - some random observations [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
I can do without watching the jerking but more snatch would be nice.

You've obviously not watched any weightlifting. I've spent a good bit of time in the women's competition convincing my daughter that they really are girls. The one with the mustache and goatee was the hardest :)
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic coverage - some random observations [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
I can do without watching the jerking but more snatch would be nice.

You've obviously not watched any weightlifting. I've spent a good bit of time in the women's competition convincing my daughter that they really are girls. The one with the mustache and goatee was the hardest :)

--
Precisely why I'm voting for Crossfit to replace weightlifting in the Rio Olympics..

--
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic coverage - some random observations [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
If you were watching in the US, especially the prime time coverage, you'd think we were the only country who sent a team to the Olympics. NBC is doing their best to apply their human-interest-sob-story template to the Olympics and it's ruining the coverage. I've seen more coverage of parent reactions to performances than I have of the entire Chinese Olympic team, and they're currently leading the medal count. I expect them to focus on the US, but I want to see other countries compete too. This is supposed to be about the best in the world coming together to compete. Instead, it's been about watching Phelp's mom. Who gives a shit?

Have very much enjoyed watching the LIVE coverage during the midday here in the US. Was off work a couple of days with sick daughter last week and got to watch some volleyball and indoor cycling LIVE that was way cool.
Similarly, I enjoyed the NBC coverage of the cycling road race early on and women's marathon couple of days ago.

I'll watch the crap on prime-time because I have to. Cable provider wasn't on the "approved" NBC list so no stream for me. I almost always flip the channel when Ryan comes on, or Bob starts rambling, or god help me if Mary Carillo highlights aston-martin convertibles.UGH.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic coverage - some random observations [sluiper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sluiper wrote:
Coverage in South Africa is awesome.

5 dedicated channels, 4 showing live events and the other providing highlights. Almost feels like there's too much to watch at times.

Then again, we do have grinding poverty, massive unemployment and AIDS, so it's not all moonshine and roses.

Good for you, that's the way it should feel, it's the Olympics.
Growing up they would devide the screen when showing Track and Field or jump from one event to the other. Like during a 5k or 10k race also showing a long jump or a crucial high jump etc etc. You would sit at home knowing exactly what going on in the stadium at all tome. Good times.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic coverage - some random observations [amagangan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can understand the mispronunciation of any English city that ends in 'ham, but what baffles me is that the only time an American pronounces the letter "T" in the middle of a word is when saying Wimbleton, and there isn't even one there! It's Wimbledon, with a "d" people!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic coverage - some random observations [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The NBC coverage is, of course, slanted to appeal to an American, like myself, but I find it unbearable at times. Last night I was watching the finals of the women's vault in gymnastics. The American girl, Maroney, who looks like a miniature Posh Spice, was obviously the clear favorite. But they were going on and on about how much better she was than the rest of the field (is that Tim Daggett doing the commentary?) that I thought they would just award her the gold prior to the competition. I almost wanted her to lose. Alas, she landed on her butt on the final vault and came in second. I did feel bad for her, but that is why they have the event, you actually have to perform on that given day...

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enduring Mary Carillo is like watching poop return up into the butt hole. I mean geez NBC must be desperate for on air personalities to let this hack job come back day.....after day.....after day....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell, we get my mate Mark Watson doing a lot of the commentating here in NZ. He was a pretty handy triathlete before he retired and got into full time commentating and doing radiosport. Mark is a good friend and long time training partner of Cameron Browns, so knows what he is talking about. For the womens tri (and probably mens too) he had his other good buddy, Hamish Carter helping with the commentating.

While neither of them are that hot in my opinion, they sure do know their stuff.

Just yesterday I heard Mark commentating the mens kayak and canoe. Of one of the slow finishers he said "I think he confused ambition with ability" I roared with laughter in my living room. He'd said the exact same thing over the PA at a race I did, and used it about ME as I exited the water! Ah the good times.......

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic coverage - some random observations [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
Hell, we get my mate Mark Watson doing a lot of the commentating here in NZ. He was a pretty handy triathlete before he retired and got into full time commentating and doing radiosport. Mark is a good friend and long time training partner of Cameron Browns, so knows what he is talking about. For the womens tri (and probably mens too) he had his other good buddy, Hamish Carter helping with the commentating.

While neither of them are that hot in my opinion, they sure do know their stuff.

Just yesterday I heard Mark commentating the mens kayak and canoe. Of one of the slow finishers he said "I think he confused ambition with ability" I roared with laughter in my living room. He'd said the exact same thing over the PA at a race I did, and used it about ME as I exited the water! Ah the good times.......

---

And that is what I love about Aussie,Kiwi and Brit commentators,they just say itlike it is.It is not disrespectful but just the truth and at that moment that it is funny.Too much PC shit around these days.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic coverage - some random observations [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with SuperSquid. NBC seems to think there are no countries besides the US. People must want to watch the parents or yet another Phelps interview more than watching any event. It's reported as a travesty anytime the Americans don't win gold. Bob Costas is creepy looking.

And I hate that they show the Olympics all day long, except from 4 to 8 PM, which are the times I am most available to watch it. I can understand the main channel switching to news and Access Hollywood (since that show must be important), but even the other NBC affiliates don't show Olympics during this time. They switch to poker (side note: I'm surprised this isn't an Olympic sport yet) or other meaningless shows.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic coverage - some random observations [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
& also RSD, V and OLN (and "obviously NBC" yeah!!!!!!!!!! :)).

Edit to add: forgot to mention SN as well showing Olympics here in Canada!

Fred.
Last edited by: fred_h: Aug 6, 12 19:18
Quote Reply

Prev Next