Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 3D Trainer Program w/pics (ANT+, MAC/PC) [jmX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmX wrote:
TriangleIL wrote:
Another interesting piece would be to display the current gear, but that would require something like Flight Deck I'm assuming? Sorry, just thinking out loud.

The program does that now (I know cadence and I know wheel RPM...so the math is pretty simple from there) however it turns out to be nothing more than a party trick. I'm not sure if its useful in any way. Is there a reason you'd want that?

I was mainly looking at the current gear for another interesting data point that could be logged, graphed and analyzed after a ride. Perhaps that isn't very interesting, but I could see a lot of data heads looking at it (comparing rides across different gears with the ride being the same distance, etc.)

I'm usually a big data head when it comes to this kind of stuff (my Polar for running is extremely addictive).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmX, I look forward to your reply, and am happy to share and trade. I used Quartz Composer to Xcode to .app as my workflow, so alot of custom modules were used. Kineme.net is a good source for these things as the guy who runs the site took a job with Apple on QC. The video I employ uses a video playback module that uses QT as a wrapper, and I just control the data layers much like you would in a photoshop design - except they are plugged into data streams from the ANT+ stream. The polar implementation used a small custom program to read the realtime polar data. I like the QC implementation because it is all vector-based, which makes the graphics look good on any platform. Some of the early implementations I saw looked really rough, so I am really happy to see yours in such a good-looking state.

From there, you can use the data to control the speed of the video, etc. which makes it good for running and cycling along with recorded routes via a gopro or contour. There are quite a few telemetry apps that will post-produce stuff, but as you can see from my videos, mine is real-time. I prefer to just overlay the numbers over a nice sufferfest or CTS video for my workouts.

BodyLinkSystems.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by kostya416 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmX wrote:
... I've had somebody come forward offering to discuss how some computer controlled variable resistance trainers work so support for those could be added, however I do not have the budget for buying $1000 trainers at the moment - not to mention avoiding buying those is half the reason I started writing this thing.

That was probably me.

It did take me 2 years and to build my own trainer. I'd say it is very high end device. It provides physically correct simulation for both positive and negative torque (meaning it simulates inertia as well as resistance). Does it 500 time/s so it feels like a real riding also thanks to unique flexible mounting system and is very quiet. Can't say much more at this point. In any case anyone who ever tried this trainer had only one question: that is when can I buy one (those were people who already own computrainers and Tacx Fortius). I've finally found factory that is going to produce those so you'll have more info very soon.

Reason I contacted you is that even though I am very experienced software developer, I've never dealt with producing games. So I have no problems working with Ant+ sensors, doing Real Life Video as TACX, controlling devices and writing firmware etc. etc. but for doing 3D stuff I thought it'd be probably easier to find person with the real experience in the area rather then learning it myself. Obviously you were not interested since after our initial conversation you never got back to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't know if someone else mentioned this...but theoretically, couldn't you code something that would work with the PS3/XBOX 360 camera systems that capture your motion? or what if there was an ANT+ receiver that you could plug into your video game console, and picked up all your HR, speed, cadence, power and put it into the game.....along with potential google maps sourcing since everything is based off of the internet at this point.

the stuff looks good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

JmX + Sufferfest = DOMINATION

http://www.kickstarter.com/

Make it happen!

Later!

Brian

Swim. Bike. Run. Repeat as necessary.
Welcome to the Church of Briantriology!
Quote Reply
Re: New 3D Trainer Program w/pics (ANT+, MAC/PC) [Miguelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miguelon wrote:
Graphics are important. It helps in stimulating the brain. I'm sure that you rather be staring at a monitor with nice graphics relevant to the type of training you are doing than stare at an empty wall. Graphics sure add a fun factor and kills the boredom of training indoors.

The graphics are cool but I'd more often use it with the data overlaid on top of some video (be it a DVD, downloaded, or netflix) running through an HTPC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To bridge the gap while this awesome software becomes available, the iphone/ipad user among us might take a look at "cogmon bike" by GameWax on the itunes store.

Its seems to look roughly comparable although it does not look nearly as polished or has as many features as jmX's software.
I haven't been able to try it out myself as my Wahoo ant+ dongle for my ipad is still beeing delivered so it might be total junk too.
I will let you know what i think of it in a few days when i get my dongle, hopefully.

edit : they seem to have a "run" app also.
Last edited by: bk227865: Jul 10, 12 1:07
Quote Reply
Re: New 3D Trainer Program w/pics (ANT+, MAC/PC) [bk227865] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno, that looks pretty advanced to me. The graphics aren't as shiny, but it's full featured and probably "good enough".

Of course I'll still be working on mine, and I'm starting the iPad version this month. My wahoo dongle showed up today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't you just use the existing Garmin ANT+ stick and an iPad camera connection kit? At least for testing? I haven't done it, but someone suggested it to me. I think there might be issues with signing the app in that case.

If someone wants to work with me to port my app to the GoogleTV platform, get in touch.

jmX wrote:
I dunno, that looks pretty advanced to me. The graphics aren't as shiny, but it's full featured and probably "good enough".

Of course I'll still be working on mine, and I'm starting the iPad version this month. My wahoo dongle showed up today.

BodyLinkSystems.com
Quote Reply
Re: New 3D Trainer Program w/pics (ANT+, MAC/PC) [BodyLinkSystems] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BodyLinkSystems wrote:
Can't you just use the existing Garmin ANT+ stick and an iPad camera connection kit? At least for testing? I haven't done it, but someone suggested it to me. I think there might be issues with signing the app in that case.

Nope.

--------------------------------------------------
Yeah, it's a great bike but the engine needs work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next