Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run
Quote | Reply
I completed a HIM 6/3/12. I took 2 days off after and began training again. I noticed that my glute and hip(side of hip below belt line) were sore. I can feel it if I push with my fingers into the muscle. I ended up taking a few days off because I got sick. I returned without any issues. I was able to go back to my running mileage without any issues (long run=16 miles). I was fine up until Saturday (6/30/12). I did a 16 mile run. However, around mile 9 I noticed my hip/glute were tight. It didn't hurt(more of annyounce) so I ran through it. After the run, I could tell it was really tight and sore. The run was hilly and a lot of downhill running too. I did a recovery run on Sunday and it was better than Saturday but still sore. I woke up this AM and it felt fine so I went for any easy run(3 miles) but it can back after 1 mile not as severe as the long run. Any clues to what this is? I think its probably from ramping mileage up back to pre HIM after extended time off and the hilly/downhill run. But is it the IT band or piriformis or something else?
Quote Reply
Re: Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run [Mrdavidalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the injury.

As you have read I am sure, always hard to tell online, but...likely not ITB in this case. Possible that it is related to the lateral (outside) attachment of the piriformis. My first suspicion would be glute med and hip rotators. These guys stabilize your pelvis with each step. When we run (flat) each step is about 7x our body weight of force. Downs and with fatigue these forces increase or are transmitted up the body more. Often after a taxing effort people can end up with their pelvis slightly out of wack - usually muscular fatigue, compensation. This may be the root of the pain, or simply overuse from trying to stabilize for a long time under challenging conditions.

More info is always good! The fact that you rested a few days and it was good for almost 3 weeks lends itself to an overuse/fatigue issue. I can send you some exercises to target that area if you want, but the good old relative rest thing is likely part of the healing process.

Good luck!

Dana

Re: Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post these exercises? Or PM them? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run [ackvor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think pictures will be too big to post, but I can look for links to videos a bit later - headed out to run now myself! I will do it today though!

Re: Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run [Mrdavidalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use foam rollers and/or stretch after any/every run?

I used to have issues similiar to these and found that frequent use of a foam roller (I actually use the Trigger point kits as I like the firmness) and ensuring I stretched each and every day helped massively. I still get sore glutes now and then after a hard week, but only then.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridana wrote:

As you have read I am sure, always hard to tell online, but...likely not ITB in this case. Possible that it is related to the lateral (outside) attachment of the piriformis. My first suspicion would be glute med and hip rotators. These guys stabilize your pelvis with each step. When we run (flat) each step is about 7x our body weight of force. Downs and with fatigue these forces increase or are transmitted up the body more. Often after a taxing effort people can end up with their pelvis slightly out of wack - usually muscular fatigue, compensation. This may be the root of the pain, or simply overuse from trying to stabilize for a long time under challenging conditions.

More info is always good! The fact that you rested a few days and it was good for almost 3 weeks lends itself to an overuse/fatigue issue. I can send you some exercises to target that area if you want, but the good old relative rest thing is likely part of the healing process.

Good luck!

Dana

hard to rule out bursitis over the internet but I am going to agree with probably glute medius not liking you very much after your HIM... your on the right track thinking ITB doesn't sound like your to that stage yet but this type of thing turns into the ugly beast.... I would get a lacrosse ball and lie on your side and and see if you can find the trigger point for glute medius (you'll know when your on it) I am all for stretching and foam rolling but even more for some of this neural flossing and PNF work that you will see here ( I know its crossfitish and I am not a crossfitter but this guy is a PT and knows his stuff)

I would also follow general icing to reduce local inflammation

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run [prosh8905] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! My rest day is tomorrow so hopefully this will help. I can feel the tightness when I do the pigeon stretch and if I sit in a chair and cross leg over the other and lean forward.

Yes I stretch after every run but don't use the foam roller very much.

Should I cut my mileage back this week by 50% or so?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridana wrote:

Good luck!

Dana

Yes please send more info....do you think I should see PT or Chiro to get it back in place. It feels like something is out of whack(not in the right place) I bet you are right on the money!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think seeing a PT or Chiropractor would be great. Most insurances will require a referral for a PT (I am one....so this is frustrating for cases like yours!), but you can head to the Chiropractor and likely get one or only a few adjustments and be fine. It sometimes does take more than one, especially with a lot of muscular tightness.

So stretches - the tennis/lacross ball idea - great. What I do is have people imagine a line from their sacrum (butt crack) to the greater trochanter (lateral hip, you can feel it spin if you are on it and move your knee side to side). in the center of that line is approximately the middle of the piriformis. You can sit on the ball for NO MORE than 10 min and try to release it. Usually, 2-5 min is enough.

pigeon you are doing

ITB stretch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2uCy7lb9XU

Strengthening:

Glute med/rotators: http://www.oprah.com/...Walk-ilates-Lesson/2 (Forgive the link - I am working fast!) - add a band around the ankles for resistance. Stand straight to target glute med, slight squat for all glutes. Keep toes straight - you will feel pigeon toed to accomplish this.

Clam: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/...te-Activation-_6.htm - again add an ankle weight or band above the knee for resistance. Prevent your trunk from rotating backwards.

I also like good old fashion step ups: 18" or higher - I am short and do 18" - so adjust as needed. You should be working on pelvic stability and knee stability.

Single leg squats - again pelvic and knee stability.

That's probably a good start, but feel free to holler if you want more!

Dana

Quote | Reply
I had a very similar problem based on your description. However, mine started in my taper week right before a HIM 6/10. I went to a chiro and he adjusted my pelvic. it was out of place and it is 90% better now. I still feel some tightness but no real pain like I used to have.
Quote Reply
Re: Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run [3Dealz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I did a HIM last Sunday and this same problem returned after I started running on Thursday. It eventually went away last time. But is racing the cause? Maybe its throwning my pelvis out of alignment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok....I did a 10 miler last Saturday and I was fine afterwards all the way up to Wednesday. I went for a run on Wednesday and these same issues I had above came back. It seems racing is causing this and interval running. Is this normal? I am still running but its not very enjoyable right now because of the tightness in the hip/glute. At some points, it feels like my sit bone is digging into my glute and other times I feel it on my side of my hip (belt line). I feel it more going uphill. I have ran 47 miles this week (post race) and it feels better than Wednesday but still there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some symptoms ring a bell and I sincerely hope it is not what I have.
I looked for all possible reasons, ruling out Piriformis, Glutes, ITB, Bursitis to have the MRI reveal a labral tear.
It is the cartilage between the hip and the femur.
It is a condition that is very hard to detect and that usually leaves doctors and chiros puzzled.
It plagued Paula Findlay's season and can lead up to surgery.

Once again I hope it is not the case for you but an MRI or MRA (arthrogram, dye injected to show small tears) would shed light and bring peace of mind.
Excessive stretching when dealing with a labral tear can be counterproductive so be careful.

Good luck with all that.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be willing to bet you have some decent abductor weakness that is getting overworked during the race and hard efforts and you going back at it before your fully recovered. Try some of this stuff for relief/prevention. Let me know if you have any questions

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to do a bunch of glute medius strengthening.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a long-shot, but consider myofascial pain syndrome. It's a muscle regional pain condition characterized by trigger points in a taut band of fibers. Imbalances in strength and flexibility are usually found. However, MPS is more common in the upper back-shoulder-neck vs. the pelvic-buttock-hip area.
Last edited by: Pedalhead: Mar 10, 13 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run [Pedalhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I had to stop my long run short today. So I turned to the bike which doesn't bother me at all. It actually makes it go away. But I think I need to shut down run for a few days. Could it be bursitis? Stress fracture?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds odd, but do you have pain when sitting in the car & getting in & out of vehichle? May be a stress fracture & or labral tear.

Check out the bursitis/stress fracture thread. Good info out there.

Let the crazy out.
Quote Reply
Re: Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run [MI Unsalted] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No pain at all even running. But very uncomfortable because it affects my stride and is tight. Sometimes when I am running it feels like my hip moved out of place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed that after getting out of bed this morning I had feel really tight,uncomfortable, etc in the glute/hip region. This went away after walking for 1-2 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great timing on this thread. I am suffering too! Did an MRI to rule out another labrum tear in my repaired hip. Thanks for all the info. Back in the gym after years. My problem was I have not taken a balanced approach. Got it after a marathon three weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run [greggtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greggtri wrote:
Great timing on this thread. I am suffering too! Did an MRI to rule out another labrum tear in my repaired hip. Thanks for all the info. Back in the gym after years. My problem was I have not taken a balanced approach. Got it after a marathon three weeks ago.

Did you have a labrum tear?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. I had both hips done. Been healthy since. Glad it didn't happen again. But it was a different pain this time. So I was a bit confused.
Quote Reply
Re: Glute/Hip Sore after HIM and returned after long run [greggtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greggtri wrote:
Yep. I had both hips done. Been healthy since. Glad it didn't happen again. But it was a different pain this time. So I was a bit confused.

So what do you have? Or you just know its not a torn labrum? Do you have similar symptoms that I have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tore my labrum back a few years ago. After surgery it has been better ever since. Ran a marathon 3 weeks ago and agrivated it. Now I have a bit of tendinitis. Not a torn labrum again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next