Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My DIY carbon-fiber frame
Quote | Reply
Maybe I should have started this thread when I first started building my own frame, but I thought it was so much fun to build the thing than writing about it and therefor the writing comes now.

I wanted to build a CF frame since I just wanted to see if it was possible for me to do it. You should know that I had never even touched a CF frame, nor seen a TT frame up close.
When I started to build, Cervelo's P5 was announced and I thought it was so beautiful that I tried to copy it as much as I could (there were not that many pictures nor measurements at that time).
I thought that painting the frame when it was finished would be too hard so I just let the nude CF appear.
I also love my children so much (don't all parents do) so I dedicated the frame by putting an image on the top tube with them (under the clear coat) and the words 'Lellou' and 'Bobbo' is their nicknames.

First I cut out each tube in extruded polystyrene (that you use when building houses). I then wrap the tube with CF (wetted with resin). I then placed the thing in a vacuum-bag and applied vacuum and let it cure over night. When I had done all tubes, I simply? attached them to each other and when that was done, painted the whole thing with some resin and sanded it off to make it smooth. I then finished with clear coat.

The cost for the material (six square-meters of CF) and resin was around $300. I had to buy some extra equipment (like vacuum-pump, plastic bags etc) and that costed as much as the frame.

Anyway, here comes the pictures with some descriptive texts beneath.

Head tube: The first thing I made. It has a total of six layers of CF and the little notch is for the front wheel.

Top tube. Not much to say about.

Seat tube. Here you can see the polystyrene.

Seat tube: A close-up where the seat goes in. I put some more CF around the whole thing and it is really steady. The hard part with this was that I had to put it dead-straight (don't want the seat to be off)

Dropout. The thickness of this piece is 8mm and was build by adding 40 layers of CF. It was really tough to saw through and the piece ate a couple of saw-blades :)

Chainstay. Here you can see how the polystyrene looks before adding the CF. Layer on I put some acetone in the tubes and that will melt the polystyrene. I think that I only saved 100-200 frames, but the feeling is better :)

Top tube. I have sawed the whole where the top from the seat-tube will be put through (so the saddle post can slip in it).

Here you can see how I use the vacuum-bag

Simple align-text. Everything looks nice so far.

After this image I started to wrap more CF around the joints and make it smoother.

The most beautiful part of the bike :)

That was all images that I took during the building.
Quote Reply
Re: My DIY carbon-fiber frame [brummelisa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here comes the images of the complete bike:

The frame looks a bit dented, but that is the lighting (and some small variations too)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome that you built your own frame! I would love to see more pictures with different lighting since it does look very bumpy in those pics. How does it ride and handle? You should get a center pull front brake to make it look real sleek!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
someone is probably going to chime in regarding the aesthetics (or lack thereof) and the aero properties (again, or lack thereof) but i sir, commend you on a job well done! i'm in awe as being able to create something like this is so far beyond my skill set that i'll just sit back and give you a golf clap. i bet you're "that guy" who can fix anything...kudos to you!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Re: My DIY carbon-fiber frame [wempe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahhaah....awesome! I could never build my own CF frame. Kudos for taking on this project. I am sure you get plenty of fun out of it despite how it may or may not handle just because you made it. :)

It does a look a bit wavy, but I have seen some S5 here that look the same. So it looks very pro ;)

Now...where is the white paper?? hahahah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is amazing. Coolest thing I have seen in a long time! How many hours did you spend hands-on making that?

--------------------------------------------------------------
I am a newbie to ST please be patent with my idiocy!
Skin Sake Athletic Tri Team
Quote Reply
Re: My DIY carbon-fiber frame [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not easy to build your own bike! Congratulations
Quote Reply
Re: My DIY carbon-fiber frame [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google "Berk Composites" it's a kid (18 I think) in Slovenia who makes his own frames, parts, etc. He is amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Well done indeed, impressive skills!

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair to say a hand layup is a good bit less 'precise' than a molded frame, but this is so far beyond my own abilities and commitment that I have to commend you greatly on your effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing! Glad you posted about it.

I have deceptive speed.........I'm slower than I look!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does it ride? Does it feel off at all or does it feel like a real CF bike? (I have no idea what one feels like)

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should have built a draft legal setup where aero's not as important.

But seriously, amazing job.

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Re: My DIY carbon-fiber frame [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never ridded an CF frame, but an aluminum and it feels the same.

You should notice that I didn't build this frame to win at Kona, but to have some really fun and challenging project during the winter :)
I have read everything Berk has done and I also think is is amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is certainly a commendable effort. I don't want to diminish your accomplishment, but a concern might be the integrity of the joints. I would not want to the the one to test that integrity by bombing down the backside of Richter's at 80k and hit a bump in the pavement. Safety should always be the foremost concern.
Quote Reply
Re: My DIY carbon-fiber frame [nedbraden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nedbraden wrote:
Google "Berk Composites" it's a kid (18 I think) in Slovenia who makes his own frames, parts, etc. He is amazing.

It is Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites. And I believe he is 20 years old now. He has a FB page as well as a long thread on WW showing all of his work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent work sir, amazing setup.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: My DIY carbon-fiber frame [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy SHIT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very, very cool. It must feel great to sit back and admire your handiwork.

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW!!! That is something to be proud of!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWESOME WORK! In college a buddy and I made two for our college TTT... after we read "How I made a Carbon Fiber bike in my garage" by Damon Rinard of course! Congrats, your looks great.

-Belcher
Shift : Real Carbon Fiber Cases for iPhone and iPad
Woodly : Made in USA real Wood Covers for iPhone and iPad
BCO Skins : Carbon Fiber Skins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is quite an impressive project. How much does the frame weigh when all is said and done? Did you do any sort of engineering calculations on it to see if it would hold up or did you just overbuild it everywhere?
Quote Reply
Re: My DIY carbon-fiber frame [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asad137 wrote:
That is quite an impressive project. How much does the frame weigh when all is said and done? Did you do any sort of engineering calculations on it to see if it would hold up or did you just overbuild it everywhere?

The frame weighs 1600 grams. A bit heavy, but my goal wasn't a light fast bike, but just something funny to build. If I would do it all over I think I might be able too loose 200-400 grams.

I didn't calculate anything, but I found some other guys in the 'net that built some and I used their saying (but they hadn't done any calculations too)

I have wride in small pot-holes and down from the curb and it feels really solid
Last edited by: brummelisa: Jun 14, 12 14:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bumpiness is due to vacuum-bagging over a solid mold rather than bladder-pressing into a hollow mold.

Still, awesome job!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: My DIY carbon-fiber frame [boom808] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boom808 wrote:
Holy SHIT!

This!

Are you SURE that thing's not going to fall apart when you ride it? It's kinda important. I don't know about you, but I value my teeth.
Quote Reply

Prev Next