Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Donner Lake Water Temps?
Quote | Reply
Will be up in Truckee for the long weekend and was thinking about some open water swims in beautiful Donner Lake.
Has anyone been swimming there yet this year? Can't seem to find any info on temps.
Anyone interested in joining would be fun and safer.
Quote Reply
Re: Donner Lake Water Temps? [Redog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just have a wetsuit. Even in July when I race in it, folks always wear wetsuits.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the official temp is "F'N COLD!!!"

You'll be fine w/ wetsuit I would guess
But for men, but swallowing can be difficult since testicles fighting for space with tonsils in the back of your throat...
Quote Reply
Re: Donner Lake Water Temps? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuit is a given. Last August I swam the lake a few times always without a wetsuit and was ok but never was able to get warm.
Planing on doing the Donner Lake Pac Masters race this year - no wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redog wrote:
Wetsuit is a given. Last August I swam the lake a few times always without a wetsuit and was ok but never was able to get warm.
Planing on doing the Donner Lake Pac Masters race this year - no wetsuit.

I had consider that race, but when they made it clear no wetsuits allowed, period, I said no thanks, not the kind of sport I want to spend my money on.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Donner Lake Water Temps? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as much as I hate wetsuits, they do keep you warm. I hope this year with the little snow we had the lake will be much warmer.
(at least than Lake Tahoe)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of all the years I have done the Donner race, only once was the water super cold. Since I did a few this year at 53 degrees, anything near of above feels just fine. The one Sunday at 72 in a wetsuit was just too hot.
When I saw the article of "The Orca" at 240 swimming, the first thought is yep some have a wet suit for warmth built in. At my 160, I freeze.

Quote Reply