Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:
Good points.

And St. George is a great destination in many respects...but name a "great" IM venue where the swim is far removed from the finish...are there any?

----

Ironman Cairns,which will go down as one of the most beautiful race destinations on the planet has it's swim and transition about 20k'ish from the finish...

-----
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you are right...but among established races which have long term success, that is the question.

Bad logistics will kill a race once the luster wears off

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:
Maybe you are right...but among established races which have long term success, that is the question.

I suppose if you didn't have a car, the logistics of SG would be difficult. But I found it to be one of the easiest 2 transition races I've ever done. Only challenge was that the directions that they handed out to the spectators were wrong (something like turn down 700 instead of 5000 or vice versa....) The athlete shuttle service was quick and easy.

Compare that with CdA, where we had to stay in Spokane last year because there were no hotels left. Not to mention that a hotel within 3 miles of the start is $300 per night, compared with $129 at the Best Western Abbey Inn (with the best breakfast buffet I have ever had...fresh waffles with strawberry and banana!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:

----

I will be very interested in seeing how many go to Cairns as it is right at the start of winter and makes for a very long season for the southern triathletes.If WTC is dissapointed with Cairns and bails after a few years,someone else will take over and put the race on...Personally I liked the small field feel of Challenge Cairns last year as I'm not really a fan of the gong-show mega races.It was one reason I loved Ironman Malaysia but that didn't make enough cash (among other problems) and was canned.

----
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: May 12, 12 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
Terra-Man wrote:
Good points.

And St. George is a great destination in many respects...but name a "great" IM venue where the swim is far removed from the finish...are there any?

----

Ironman Cairns,which will go down as one of the most beautiful race destinations on the planet has it's swim and transition about 20k'ish from the finish...

-----

Isn't this the first year for IM Cairns? It seems to still be open for entries at this point too. Only time will tell if it's a success.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue with the logistics is when you are a DA, like me, and leave your bike number stickers at the hotel and can't check your bike in and have to drive back, etc...and also when your friend's wife, who has never seen an IM race, has to choose between seeing the swim and being stuck there for 2.5 hours, or waiting for the bike and run.

Vegas WC has similar issues...but at least there, the check in is at the finish line.

There are very few perfect venues (like Canada, once you get there). St. George is far from perfect. Beautiful scenery. Great support. But challenging logistics. And chip seal roads

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
Terra-Man wrote:
Good points.

----

-----

Isn't this the first year for IM Cairns? It seems to still be open for entries at this point too. Only time will tell if it's a success.

---

First year as an Ironman branded race and second as an Iron distance after Challenge Cairns last year..the same managment company are putting the race on..It is an awesome venue!

---
Quote Reply

Prev Next