Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [joshuaforty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
POST THEM. I also was the in the middle of that too. That was some serious shit!!! (I was think that for sure, someone was going to die out there)

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
twothbeave wrote:
Incredible. Hard to believe the lack of response on this thread. SG went from infamous to legendary yesterday. This was absolutely the most difficult race in IM history. The most obvious and telling three facts. Slowest average finish by an eternal 9 minutes, 13:52. Finish time by a winner 9:07.
Mike Reilly the voice of IM can never recall a race won in more than 9 hours. Ben Hoffman was 19 minutes up on second place...after he was literally blown off the course by the wind. The fastest age grouper was over 10:05. And finally the most telling stat: 29 % DNF rate. The scary thing is, as bad as the swim was the bike was worse! 19% did not make the bike cutoff. Which in itself is equivalent to the highest previous record for failure to complete in an entire race (St George 2011). This after they made the marathon course easier! Mixed feelings for me. After completing this monster in 10 and 11 might have been nice to say I did it all three years and finished the toughest race EVER! Knowing my luck I would have again lost my timing chip and not gotten n official time. St George you are gone, but you have assured yourself you will never be forgotten!
In Reply To:

----

Mike has a short memory...Perhaps he meant that in the last decade or so he can't remember a 9hr plus win.....Tough day and a huge shame that it will be the last time for an IM in St George.

---

And presumably Mike Reilly doesn't pay attention to European events...
Last year's Ironman Wales:
Jeremy Jurkiewicz won in 09:04:21.

The swim was moved to a different beach because of unsafe conditions, the video for that still looked gnarly. The winds were the tail end of some hurricane over the Atlantic and the bike course is an exposed (windy) ~8000ft of climbing. Not sure what the DNF rate was (I'm too lazy to check). It likely wasn't as bad as IMSG (don't know, I wasn't at either, but the wind looked hellish) but Mike Reilly should check his memory (or his stats package).

Anyway, IMSG looked like a real challenge, so fair play to anyone who went out in that. It's great to hear the stories from the survivors and finishers. Real grit was shown by everyone who finished, or tried to.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [drsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drsteve wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
twothbeave wrote:
Incredible. Hard to believe the lack of response on this thread. SG went from infamous to legendary yesterday. This was absolutely the most difficult race in IM history. The most obvious and telling three facts. Slowest average finish by an eternal 9 minutes, 13:52. Finish time by a winner 9:07.
Mike Reilly the voice of IM can never recall a race won in more than 9 hours. Ben Hoffman was 19 minutes up on second place...after he was literally blown off the course by the wind. The fastest age grouper was over 10:05. And finally the most telling stat: 29 % DNF rate. The scary thing is, as bad as the swim was the bike was worse! 19% did not make the bike cutoff. Which in itself is equivalent to the highest previous record for failure to complete in an entire race (St George 2011). This after they made the marathon course easier! Mixed feelings for me. After completing this monster in 10 and 11 might have been nice to say I did it all three years and finished the toughest race EVER! Knowing my luck I would have again lost my timing chip and not gotten n official time. St George you are gone, but you have assured yourself you will never be forgotten!
In Reply To:

----

Mike has a short memory...Perhaps he meant that in the last decade or so he can't remember a 9hr plus win.....Tough day and a huge shame that it will be the last time for an IM in St George.

---

And presumably Mike Reilly doesn't pay attention to European events...
Last year's Ironman Wales:
Jeremy Jurkiewicz won in 09:04:21.

The swim was moved to a different beach because of unsafe conditions, the video for that still looked gnarly. The winds were the tail end of some hurricane over the Atlantic and the bike course is an exposed (windy) ~8000ft of climbing. Not sure what the DNF rate was (I'm too lazy to check). It likely wasn't as bad as IMSG (don't know, I wasn't at either, but the wind looked hellish) but Mike Reilly should check his memory (or his stats package).

Anyway, IMSG looked like a real challenge, so fair play to anyone who went out in that. It's great to hear the stories from the survivors and finishers. Real grit was shown by everyone who finished, or tried to.

I've heard stories of Wales being crazy.

When I first heard about IM StG, I was angry at WTC for "wimping out" on a real SoCal/NoCal/AnyCal Ironman. Yes, Vineman is there. But come on. Dave Scott and Mark Allen are from California.

But, I got talked into it for the last go around.

The circuit needs these races. I don't know if I can time-qualify for Hawaii. I did France as my first, and now I've done this, and there is a special satisfaction to doing Ironman courses that test you against geography and nature. France was the sheer magnitude of a Cat-1 climb. Here it was the wind.

And the community was the best, nicest, and most supportive of any of my five Ironmans. Best run support stations ever. By far.

And no one is really mentioning this, but the roaring headwind on the climbs was only exacerbated by the chip seal concrete. When you slow down, the tires really dig into the chip seal gaps. I would occasionally roll through non-chipped sections for a few yards (and at 25-30mph headwinds, you have a lot of time to try out different kinds of concrete) and that would have been a lot better. You know, so I was doing 8mph rather than 7mph. I had a compact and 11-25, and have never spent so long in 34x25. I think the concrete wouldn't have been as big a deal without the headwind.

Again, I think IM needs some races like this, that aren't supposed to be 3000 people behemoths. Draft pack-breaking climbs. Tough runs. And swims that don't get cancelled unless there's lightning or impossible wakes. That swim was epic, tough, and awesome.

If anything, this day is an argument for the return of the full IM. Bring it back.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a bit lengthy so I'm not going to paste it, but my better half has put up her race report and I think it captures the feel of the day pretty well.

I'm, er, pretty proud.

Http://www.lauratrimble.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [SmallAngryMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell your wife she had a nice blog. Its interesting to re-live my experience that day thru other's writings. Of course... I finished nowhere near 1st place in my AG like she did though :^)

Seems like the run course was forgettable for most people. I found it hugely boring, though my family and friends enjoyed seeing me yo-yo'ing all over the place. If they'd placed the run along a bike path down to the river and along some bluffs, would have made it HUGELY more inspiring and memorable.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

This is ten percent LUCK, twenty percent SKILL
Fifteen percent concentrated POWER OF WILL
Five percent PLEASURE, fifty percent PAIN
And a hundred percent reason to be IN THIS GAME!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [SmallAngryMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her description of the swim is spot on and I copied that section of her blog and sent it to my wife as I couldn't have communicated it any better. I find it interesting that I had a similar time goal and came out the same time as her friend @1:22. I've read a couple of posts where people reported only around a 5 minute delta over their best Ironman swim time. I find that very hard to believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I met Laura (my mate Tim was racing with her), and found her to be a great person and super fast racer! Tell her congrats on running them down to win her AG. I hope to see all you guys in Kona!

Cheers,
Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers guys, appreciate the kind words.

Definitely hope to see you out in Kona Cpt
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [rebmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree that the swim was insane, and people who weren't in the water should try to avoid talking about "12" chop." The earlier description of 4-5' swells is closer to my recollection. I thought the ship was more than just taking on water. A buddy of mine - former collegiate swimmer - said he swam by a boat that had capsized.

I inhaled a bunch of water, could barely breathe during the bike, and had to bail during the run after I started to desaturate at rest while sitting in the ambulance.

Most disappointing race of my life.

Well, I guess I'll have to do another one.
Last edited by: dienekes88: May 9, 12 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [LayLow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that it is a great location for a race. I loved it except the wind. 70.3 will be easier to plan and keep the bike course a bit easier. Cant do anything about the wind. The problem is going to be where are you going to draw the participants from? Vegas has a 70.3 and only 90 miles away. I won't travel from the east coast for a 70.3 but I did love it. I would be back for the 140.6 (even though I got pulled of the bike course for being a slow, ill-prepared hack:). It was brutal, but an awesome experience.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [rebmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great attitude. Sorry you got pulled. I got through the swim but was very very concerned about a friend who is am IM arizona finisher. He also got pulled from the water. It was just dangerous. I am glad nobody got killed in the water. I got pulled on the bike, and I'll tell you this. this was my 3rd IM and out of the 7 people in my van off the bike, I was the least experienced.

We all knew IMSG was a beast. We all trained(clearly not enough). This was a special day and i will remember it forever.
Bummer but no dishonor. Looking forward to IMFlorida.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to the wifey! Enjoyed reading her report. She and I had very similar time goals going in. And eerily similar race experiences. I finished a minute ahead of her.

Have fun in Kona!

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [dienekes88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you didn't make it, but you got a lot further than most. I made it but had my slowest time of 6 IMs. I swallowed a bunch of water too and am curious about what "desaturate" means. I was constantly peeing on the run and couldn't figure out why.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [mrwoodhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desaturating meant that my O2 sat (proportion of hemoglobin binding sites that was oxygenated) was low-ish as determined by a portable pulse oximeter that the medics had. Didn't need oxygen, but it was really odd to see a large drop from my baseline that really couldn't be explained by the altitude (~3000 feet).

Swallowing water wouldn't have been a problem. It felt like I actually inhaled it into my lungs when a couple waves crested over me while I was taking a breath. I coughed up a storm and then had breathing issues that have continued (to a much lesser extent) until the present.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [dienekes88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you might consider seeing your doc in the next couple of days if not back to baseline.
Last edited by: cb196808: May 9, 12 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some video of the IMSG 2012 swim from a boat following the Pros.

http://www.youtube.com/...de=1&safe=active
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [drsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I what recall saying was I personally had never brought an Ironman Mens winner in over 9 hours. Which I haven't.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [IMVoice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. That's obviously a very different thing than the recollection of the other poster, who said "Mike Reilly the voice of IM can never recall a race won in more than 9 hours." I (and ultra-tri-guy) was responding to that statement, which is clearly not what you said then...

Good of you to correct the record though. It's nice to have input from the names in triathlon on ST, and Mike Reilly is definitely a name.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [IMVoice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMVoice wrote:
I what recall saying was I personally had never brought an Ironman Mens winner in over 9 hours. Which I haven't.

--

I think I might have you on a technicality Mike....2006 Ironman Coeur d'Alene..Age-grouper Chris Hauth wins overall in 9:07..I'm sure I heard someone calling out "You are an Ironman" at the finish.....Maybe I am mistaken and that was one of the few races you weren't working.

----
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: May 10, 12 16:06
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
IMVoice wrote:

--

I think I might have you on a technicality Mike....2006 Ironman Coeur d'Alene..Age-grouper Chris Hauth wins overall in 9:07..I'm sure I heard someone calling out "You are an Ironman" at the finish.....Maybe I am mistaken and that was one of the few races you weren't working.

----

...and then of course as the pro womens only race moved to Lake Placid the following year age grouper Alex Mroszczyk-Mcdonald was first male and fastest overall in 9:16.....

I know,I know...these weren't male pro races but if we do know one thing about Slowtwitch is that folks are anal about the facts ...

There are two more but after hanging out at over 100 of these things I'm sure they are all starting to melt into one big Iron-mess in the old grey cells....and the cheesheads are a pretty forgettable bunch..;-)

------
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: May 11, 12 0:54
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So here's a question: IM Lanzarote has fewer registered participants (1694, if the participant list is correct) than IMSG. So why do they keep that race around? I know WTC is trying to maximize their profits (can't blame them for that), but why hang on to Lanzarote and not Saint George? Are there other factors in play?

Tough conditions but incredible location and swim / bike course (run would need improvement). Hard to imagine a better destination race in the US (at least from an east coaster's perspective.) And, I think it's more difficult to justify spending the money to travel that far for a 70.3.

Sad to see it go. Glad I got to participate in the last one.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
So here's a question: IM Lanzarote has fewer registered participants (1694, if the participant list is correct) than IMSG. So why do they keep that race around? I know WTC is trying to maximize their profits (can't blame them for that), but why hang on to Lanzarote and not Saint George? Are there other factors in play?

Tough conditions but incredible location and swim / bike course (run would need improvement). Hard to imagine a better destination race in the US (at least from an east coaster's perspective.) And, I think it's more difficult to justify spending the money to travel that far for a 70.3.

Lanzarote has been around for 12 years so it has a nice solid history. It fills a niche in both its location and difficulty level. It's located in an area where many pro triathletes do a good bit of winter training. IMSG has seen decreasing enrollment and after a year like this with weather that made things extremely challenging it's likely that next year would have been a bust. Athletes that have trained extensively in the area know that as difficult as last weekends weather was, things could be much worse. Many other reason too and I'm certain others will add them.

As sad as it is today, 20 years from now it will be enjoyable to remember that you did the last IM in St. George "the really tough year when less than 3/4 of the field finished." Few others will remember but you will and that should be enough.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: May 12, 12 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:

---

Ironman Lanzerote is a race that is run by people who are passionate about multiports and licence the name from WTC...Ironman St George is owned by WTC which is owned by a company which is now showing a leaning toward developing their portfolio and not developing a great triathlon venue...

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good points.

And St. George is a great destination in many respects...but name a "great" IM venue where the swim is far removed from the finish...are there any?

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply

Prev Next