Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [scann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scann wrote:
I agree it was chaos. I saw a kayaker turtle near me as I swam the back stretch. I was thinking geez the rescuers are going to need rescuing!

The last red turn buoy seemed have moved/be moving as it was actually down wind and closer to shore than the final orange buoy. I went around the orange buoy and then tredded water for a while discussing with the swimmers around me if that was indeed the final turn marker. There were no guides/kayaks to be seen but one boat in the distance seemed to be pointing us to turn and head for shore at that point so that is what we did (effectively rounding the red buoy that was down just wind of us).

I am happy it was not a duathlon though given that it sounds like nothing serious happened to anyone.

Stephen

Tough day out there Stephen, congrats on getting it done.

Marcel
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the props Dev and Jonny. Wow, yeah it was survival mode for sure. Grueling. I started the run conservatively and was never able to pick up the pace to a race effort.. Hats off to the guys who were strong enough to go fast today despite the challenges...major respect!

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM is cursed in Utah. As was mentioned before in this thread one just has to remember back to IM Ut. Full to half to grave :( . Many have tried but few have overcome. I wont be long until they pull the plug on the 70.3 race also.

RIP IM Ut & SG

----------------------------------------------------------

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life".
Zappa
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [crambo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but there were alot of us who survived the brutal conditions with really slow swim times who chips were pulled on the 2nd loop regardless of pace before 2:30 pm even though on pace to make the 5:30 pm bike course closure time and complete the race. That is just plain wrong! Why would anyone want to pay money to do an event where the real cuttoff time is not 17 hrs but 7:30 hrs.

Personally now pretty angry since I was trying to qualify for IMH. I struggled to swim the whole course.
I had a (4:20) 15.6 mph pace when my chip was pulled at mile 66 conserving energy for the 2nd loop as many had recommended. Given the chance would I have made the bike cutoff with a sub 8 hr bike. I felt pretty good then & fine now. Really unfair & a ripoff since the bike split of the winner & only age group finisher had a bike split of 8:40 with a 5:23 pace @ mile 66 over a hour slower than mine.

Barb l
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barb,

I feel for you as yesterday was a day that was beyond anything most of us have ever dealt with, and I think the race organizers tried to do what they could (at the swim), but did not think it through to the rest of the cut off times.

Regards,

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Website wrote:

Bike Cut-Off

There are multiple cut-off locations throughout the bike course.

The cut-offs are at mile 21 at 11:30 a.m. (start of the first loop),

mile 64 at 2:05 p.m. (start of the second loop), mile 95 at 4:30

p.m. (Center Street and SR18 in Veyo), and bike finish at 5:30 p.m.

Any rider who has not reached the cut-off locations by these times

will not be permitted to continue. The bike course will close at 5:30

p.m. Athletes arriving at the bike dismount line after 5:30 p.m. will

not be permitted to continue. If you do not meet the cut-offs at mile

21 or 64 you will be given the option to ride back to T2, or ride in

the SAG vehicle. If you do not meet the 95 mile cut-off you will be

required to ride back in the SAG vehicle. Athletes must be out of

transition and starting the run course by 5:40 p.m. or you will not

be permitted to continue.

l

If they gave people until 2:30 to get to loop 2 that is 25 minutes more that advertised. Kinda would have been unfair if they let you continue after the advertised cutoff and then you passed the eventual winner and stole her kona spot.

Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea that's the point it's supposed to be a race to the end!

not to a intermediate pre determined point pre race announced but not pre pay ones money. they did to do adjustments on the swim tiime. I heard later there were still people out ther till 10 am & then riding the couse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This race sounds a lot like a typical Silverman 140.6, only less elevation gain-by far

Bring back Silverman Frank!

"If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health"
- Hippocrates, 460-370 BC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarbBikeTechie wrote:
Yes but there were alot of us who survived the brutal conditions with really slow swim times who chips were pulled on the 2nd loop regardless of pace before 2:30 pm even though on pace to make the 5:30 pm bike course closure time and complete the race. That is just plain wrong! Why would anyone want to pay money to do an event where the real cuttoff time is not 17 hrs but 7:30 hrs.

Personally now pretty angry since I was trying to qualify for IMH. I struggled to swim the whole course.
I had a (4:20) 15.6 mph pace when my chip was pulled at mile 66 conserving energy for the 2nd loop as many had recommended. Given the chance would I have made the bike cutoff with a sub 8 hr bike. I felt pretty good then & fine now. Really unfair & a ripoff since the bike split of the winner & only age group finisher had a bike split of 8:40 with a 5:23 pace @ mile 66 over a hour slower than mine.

Barb l

Barb,

So are you saying that she got to the 66 mile of the bike half an hour after you did and they didn't take her chip? That's what the numbers you are quoting imply.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I don't know if this actually happened in your case, but it is possible the winner changed strategies to ensure making the published time cuts (e.g., maybe overcooking the first loop to make the cut, resulting in a slower overall time). Because of such potential behavior modification, it really is potentially unfair to change published rules while the race is in progress.

It certainly sucks for you, and I'm sorry your day ended in such disappointment.
I don't know your financial situation, but it is still possible for you to get into IMTX which occurs 19May. You still have fresh run legs. You potentially have another shot to show off all your training and try to KQ.

Whatever you do, best of luck. And congratulations on completing such an epic swim - many failed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read through the thread and I can tell you from being out there in that lake that it wasn't 2ft chop. I'd say 4 to 5 ft swells. It literally would pick you up and body slam you down. It's a miracle no one drowned because when I looked around there wasn't a rescue boat in site and the three kayakers I saw were all floundered. I talked to a guy at breakfast and he told me his uncle's boat sank out there yesterday. But as it turned out the swim was the easiest of the three events. The bike was just plain brutal. For as much as I've heard about the wall it was one of the easiest parts of the ride as the gusts were at your back. My slowest time out of 8 and the most painful. I know now how all the geographic features of this state were carved out of the wind over 1000s of years. It only took one day to carve me up!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finished the race also yesterday, in just under 15h. My goal was 12.15 ~ 12.30. I'm a slow swimmer, and was shooting for 1h25 but took me 2h08. As others have described, it was brutal. People were all over the place, some had climbed on the islands, many on kayaks and boats. Total carnage. After 1.5h I started getting really tired of fighting these waves, and pushed to make the cutoff and be safe. When I came out of the water I was exhausted. I am very happy everyone make it out alive.

My arms were so tired it was very difficult to handle the bike in the wind. Simply didn't have any power left. Going towards Veyo took forever, but the Veyo wall was probably the easiest part of the day. Downhill was sketchy on the first lap with the wind gusts. Flatted on the second lap, got stomach ache, nose started bleeding, whole body was hurting. Mentally and physically exhausted. Started the run running but was so bloated it became more and more of a walk. Finished around 10pm. Tough tough day.

Quote | Reply
IMSG yesterday was my first Ironman ever... and I finished!
Are they all this tough?

Holy crap it was gnarly out there!!!

About 10 minutes into the swim the wind started blowing, hard. By 20 minutes, I had waves coming over my head from behind. My wife at the start line said sand was blowing all across the lake. At the 2nd turn when you start heading back, I only saw 1 buoy the entire 1.8km return trip. The Salt Lake newpaper reported winds were 40mph and waves up to 5'.

In the water, we could see nothing, but more waves. Maybe another swimmer every few minutes. I would pause and try to spot the rock island since I knew we passed off to the right side. That was my only guide for the entire return trip. There was no cutting the course BTW. A guy who exited the water at the same time as me and was being told he had to swim back out and go around the final red buoy. Must have cut inside it. Harsh...

I thought I'd do a 1:15 swim, but I think it ended up around 1:40. Had fears of not making 2:20 since I didn't have a watch. You couldn't stop and catch a breather because the waves were in your face and you'd just be pushed backward. Couldn't side stroke or breast stroke because the waves would just pour over your head. I literally felt like I was fighting for survival. Made it though, and VERY proud of that.

Then onto the bike. Same 40mph winds on the bike. When I was passed by the 2 leaders, riders were pushing along at a blistering 6mph on a 'false flat' into canyon headwinds. The leaders BLASTED by probably doing about 10-12MPH... like 12MPH is "blasting".

The run sucked. Zig-zag-zig-zag, etc, etc. Great for spectators I guess, but having to cover all those back and forth's really just made it an uninteresting and therefore psychological challenge.
At the awards this morning they said 28% DNF... does that qualify this as the most difficult Ironman in history? Sure as hell felt like it should be.
I give mad props to anyone who survived that swim. It was 'survival' out there, bottom line.
-----

This is ten percent LUCK, twenty percent SKILL
Fifteen percent concentrated POWER OF WILL
Five percent PLEASURE, fifty percent PAIN
And a hundred percent reason to be IN THIS GAME!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let Barb Ride!!!!

So sorry that happened. It seems that yesterday was somewhat unprecendented but I bet you would have made it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
I finished the race also yesterday, in just under 15h. My goal was 12.15 ~ 12.30. I'm a slow swimmer, and was shooting for 1h25 but took me 2h08. As others have described, it was brutal. People were all over the place, some had climbed on the islands, many on kayaks and boats. Total carnage. After 1.5h I started getting really tired of fighting these waves, and pushed to make the cutoff and be safe. When I came out of the water I was exhausted. I am very happy everyone make it out alive.

My arms were so tired it was very difficult to handle the bike in the wind. Simply didn't have any power left. Going towards Veyo took forever, but the Veyo wall was probably the easiest part of the day. Downhill was sketchy on the first lap with the wind gusts. Flatted on the second lap, got stomach ache, nose started bleeding, whole body was hurting. Mentally and physically exhausted. Started the run running but was so bloated it became more and more of a walk. Finished around 10pm. Tough tough day.

I'm tipping my virtual cap to all of you who raced yesterday. Sounds absolutely epic! And the times and DNFs reflect the struggle you all went through. Your non-tri friends and co-workers may not appreciate what you went through but we do. I've only done one IM and I was fortunate to have pretty much perfect weather and it still was a bitch! Nice job, folks whether you finished or not.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [gergzos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough day. Goal was 11:30 and I did 11:58. Bike portion was really hard with winds.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [KonaDreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KonaDreamer wrote:
Iwont be long until they pull the plug on the 70.3 race also.

Doubt that. Wouldn't be surprised to see the 70.3 sell out for years to come.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I guess I'm being misunderstood this is not about the other age grouper at all. She had an 45 min better swim time than then me & was ahead of me at the time the race official pulled my chip though at the pace I was going even allowing for a slower second loop had I'd been allowed to continue with the 9 hours still left I'd probably have finished the bike nearly an hour ahead of her 8:40 split so our elapased total times would have been similar (assuming I'd made it by 5:30 pm) & it would have been a good race in the run.

It used to be that an ironman was race to the finish line after all 3 sports not does not appear to be the case an longer. Has my husband a non triathlete but supportive wondering why anyone would pay $700 to be told they can't continue to the 17 hr cutoff with so much time left.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimMoss wrote:
KonaDreamer wrote:
Iwont be long until they pull the plug on the 70.3 race also.

Doubt that. Wouldn't be surprised to see the 70.3 sell out for years to come.

I disagree, Jim. I think the 70.3 will struggle to find an audience. It literally has nothing going for it that would draw a big 70.3 crowd. Brutal course, early season, BFE location, no more cool IM swagger, people dont travel as much to a 70.3, etc.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
vtlars wrote:
10 mph winds? looks like the wind is howling out there !

The wind is gusting so strong out between Gunlock & Veyo that Ben Hoffman was blown off the road and had to unclip and remount his bike.

This is false by the way...
I was driving the lead car and saw the whole thing.

A suspected 40 MPH "gust" came up on us after battling a headwind from the Ivins area up to "the Wall" It was right near a rock quarry and a huge amount of sand blew across the road. I stopped the car- (almost in an effort to block/break the sand from pummeling the cyclists. I knew the wind would still kill them though. It was the worst 'short burst' gust of the day.) but the gust still pushed Hoffman- who had a rear disc - off into the weeds. he handled the bike like a mountain biker champ and got right back on the road. He was off the road for maybe 3 seconds.
Maik Twelsik almost stopped as well, but did take the lead at that moment for a bit.

They basically rode together the entire ride, and I never saw a 3rd place biker from mile 25 on... They had a commanding lead on Axel Zeebroek and anyone else.

The Wall had a bit of a tailwind, and then some battling until Veyo. The ride down Snow Canyon highway gave some relief, and I saw them settle into aero for the first time in a long time.

"I wanna go fast!"
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [AtoZion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AtoZion wrote:
They basically rode together the entire ride, and I never saw a 3rd place biker from mile 25 on... They had a commanding lead on Axel Zeebroek and anyone else.

The 2 lead guys were only yards apart when they passed me by Gunlock. Didn't see 3rd for at least another 15 minutes or so, and 4th passed me right before I passed the bike path for my 2nd loop. Definitely looked like a 2-man race from my perspective.

Really can't imagine battling the ride with a full disc though. I was happy to be 'spoked' and having no problem with the side winds.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [KonaDreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KonaDreamer wrote:
IM is cursed in Utah. As was mentioned before in this thread one just has to remember back to IM Ut. Full to half to grave :( . Many have tried but few have overcome. I wont be long until they pull the plug on the 70.3 race also.

RIP IM Ut & SG

Im interested in hearing why you would something so lame. I personally know MANY people will be racing next year in the St.G half. All of the people Im thinking of (me including) heard that it will be a half next year and said oh yeah, I can complete that distance. I live in St. George and the community here is a community that thrives on physical activities. I respectfully disagree. I think that the 70.3 is a PERFECT fit for this area and I think its here to stay.

As for the race Saturday, I volunteered at T1 and I volunteered at a run aid station on diagonal. I have grown up running and my family is a boating family. I have NEVER seen the weather change as quickly as it did on race day. I was told by a security guy that 1 person had died but that is completely hearsay, the newspaper and local news stations havent reported anything so I doubt that there were fatalites. EVERY swimmer that came in said the swim was the craziest thing I had ever seen. My family has a twin engine 35' Nordic speed boat and I wouldnt even want to be on the lake in the boat let alone swim in it. We were told by the swim director that had the race started 10 minutes later they wouldve "canceled the whole thing." BUT they didnt and sometimes thats how things go. I felt horrible when I saw the people who had finished their day with a DNF.

They did give the swimmers an extra 30-40 minutes before they called time. They even let people who they had pulled out of the water and slower swimmers continue without being timed. It was crazy but many athletes were able to complete. I LOVED helping the athletes in the aid station. I found friends I hadnt seen since running in highschool and college. I learned so much and It made me so excited to start racing tri's.

THANK YOU TO ALL YOU TRIATHLETES. YOU ARE A VERY STRONG INSPIRATION TO MANY LOCALS. THANK YOU THANK YOU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I call it the St George kiss goodbye. I did all 3 races the first year in the cold. last year in the heat. And finally we saw what can really happen in southern Utah, the wind. It was sad to hear of so many people not making cutoffs. It was by far and and probably will be forever now that is gone the Hardest Ironman of my life. I was in complete I just want to be done mode and it was fantastic to finish and to have not let the course finish me. I did want to quit many times but I knew this was the last hoorah and I would do everything in my power to see it through.

My hear goes out to those of you who were unable to make finishing a reality. No one is to blame it was chaos out there and as bad as some things were handled the RD kept it going when he could have stopped it and said it was canceled. We knew what we were signed up for and knew that this required extra preparation. If you didn't make it you will live to fight another day. We did the best we could in the circumstance and so did the RD's and the best volunteers on the planet.

All that I can I will.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [LayLow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LayLow wrote:
[
As for the race Saturday, I volunteered at T1 and I volunteered at a run aid station on diagonal.

All the aid stations were great, but what you guys had going on with Diagonal road... CRAZY!
Great theme. Great decoration. Lots of fun to run through.
You guys put alot of time and effort into your little corner of the race and I for one REALLY appreciated it!

Good job up there on Diagonal!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [LayLow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LayLow wrote:
KonaDreamer wrote:

RIP IM Ut & SG

Im interested in hearing why you would say something so lame. I personally know MANY people will be racing next year in the St.G half. All of the people Im thinking of (me including) heard that it will be a half next year and said oh yeah, I can complete that distance. I live in St. George and the community here is a community that thrives on physical activities. I respectfully disagree. I think that the 70.3 is a PERFECT fit for this area and I think its here to stay.

As for the race Saturday, I volunteered at T1 and I volunteered at a run aid station on diagonal. I have grown up running and my family is a boating family. I have NEVER seen the weather change as quickly as it did on race day.

The Sand Hollow State Park manager said she had never in the history of the park seen a wind that bad coming from the east like that. She said that they maybe get that easterly wind 3 times per year and never that bad.

I am ALL in on a 70.3 next year and totally agree that it is a perfect fit for the community! This year for the full IM there were approx 80 locals racing and around 300 from N. Utah. (not counting a big number of locals that signed up last minute...) I would expect that number to total well over 700 for the 70.3 next year.

"I wanna go fast!"
Quote Reply

Prev Next