Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [krash187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call. I was very surprised to see the swim times of my friends that go sub 1:00 easy, and they're way over. Bryan Dunn is not a 1:08 IM swimmer. St George IM gods sending the race off with a bang
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8 ft swells? Seriously?
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree...8ft? prob more like 2' chop. Not easy for your typical Triathlete who stugglesin a pool without a wetsuit. That race looks like it is beating those people up right now!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [cmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard 3' chop with no consistency from one of my friends that is watching out there today. Fully understand how it feels out there after being in something similar on Lake Mead for Silverman in 2008! Switching to survival swimming isn't much fun, much less with others around you!!! Good call out there, there is always another day!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [ball6135] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Be safe. I was watching the swim feeds and it wasn't all that bad if you can swim. Any insecurities in the water andit's a tough day.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [cmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the Live Blog..
"To give you an idea how tough the conditions were out on the bike today, Hoffman & Twelsiek both only managed to ride 5:10. That's over 25 minutes slower than the course record and 17 minutes slower than Hoffman rode here in 2010."

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YIkes....that 20 minute slower split for pros will translate to 40-90 min longer for most age groupers!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like WTC made the right call in bailing on this race as an IM going forward. Registrations would've been very hard to come by next year. The 70.3 is probably going to struggle to find an audience.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Looks like WTC made the right call in bailing on this race as an IM going forward. Registrations would've been very hard to come by next year. The 70.3 is probably going to struggle to find an audience.

"Yup I want to do an ironman...but don't make it too hard for me."

Someone needs to adopt this race course and take whomever will sign up for it,

Rev 3?
Lifetime Fitness?
Or what I really want to do/see happen...ST St. George 140.6 in 2013!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Video of the swim exit w/ some WICKED winds...

http://www.facebook.com/...5&id=91161023333

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm all for a challenge, but put me in the group that does not really want conditions where we have to worry more about survival than racing. I'd be entering adventure races if that is what I really wanted. Ironman are tough enough. I don't think there is any shame in admitting that you don't want to have to deal with the wrath of nature on top of the already long distance and a tough course. The long distance and a moderately hilly course is fine by me. For those who want to race crazy difficult races, I can understand the draw, but that's probably just a small minority of athletes. Most want to challenge themselves, but not kill themselves either. We still need to go back to work on Monday and perform there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree dev... I seriously don't think this is a case of catering to a low common denominator. Memories of IM Utah with that wind
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a note related to this thread Terra-man has played it out patiently in M50-54....as his name suggests, he was off the back by 30 minutes after the 90 min swim, but has moved up to 8th starting the run...now he probably needs to pass 5 more on the run for a Kona slot....go Larkin!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1fastbeaver wrote:
Next think you know, they will give EVERYONE a metal. This crap has to stop!

No, they are not giving everyone medals. There is no harm in letting them finish as unofficial finishers. They paid their money.

You want to be a badass, go do Norseman, Badwater, Marathon de Sable, or any other number of events out there that make Ironman look like a cake walk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironically, I too started IM number 11 today. The swim was brutal as described. I'm usually very solid around 1:27-1:28 for 2.4 and I swam 2:05.
Then faced brutal wind on the bike. It felt like a headwind most of the time. Missed the bike cutoff to start the second loop along with a big crowd.

Kudos to those who finish today. I did the original IM Utah in Provo the first year and this swim was every bit as bad. The wind on the bike was worse.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that your quest for number 11 was cut short. But sounds like you are in a positive mindset about the entire deal. Well done!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elsa wrote:
The swim was brutal as described. I'm usually very solid around 1:27-1:28 for 2.4 and I swam 2:05.

Watching the IMSG hashtag. This just came up:

"Lori Jomsky ‏ @LJ3000
RT @tritweeter: Mike Rielly just said this was without a doubt the toughest ever IronMan swim ever in the USA. #IMStG #IMSG"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy cow, had the feed on,. some dude just ran across the line in second place, Reilly tells him, "you've got one more lap,man. but you were almost second." Guy runs back down the finish chute towards the course. LOL
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 5, 12 14:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larkin is a clever race and is good at execution. At this point, it is a survival race.....run times are gonna be very slow but it s about getting the work done and been very patient....

brutal day form what i see so far...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For an indication of the winds today, here is a quote from the Liveblog at 2:50

"The wind is gusting so strong out between Gunlock & Veyo that Ben Hoffman was blown off the road and had to unclip and remount his bike."

If the pros are getting blown off the road (and he won) I would suggest that it's not a nice day in St George.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha saw that too, how do you not know you have one more lap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robertl wrote:
Ha saw that too, how do you not know you have one more lap

Wishful thinking, I'm sure.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
Larkin is a clever race and is good at execution. At this point, it is a survival race.....run times are gonna be very slow but it s about getting the work done and been very patient....

brutal day form what i see so far...

He's gradually moving up the field, and what's even better for him is that as a 50-54, his run is pretty strong. Lots of guys fall off on the run. Good work to you coach Jonnyo!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St. George thread- The last running today [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started my 17 IM today. Will probably be my last. A lot of $$, time etc to be sitting in my motel room before 3 pm forced to DNF when working my way back from the swim conditions.

They swim was totally brutal with 1800 yds directly into the wind as wicked as others mentioned. I'm a 1:20 swimmer slower now, but finshed in 2:14. Was the last out of T1 before the cutoff. Then realized I'd forgotten my number so I rode back a mile to figure out what to do. Wasted a bunch of time looking for an official who said just forget it.
I was surprised to see many people out on their bikes sans the chips & passing on the right etc.

I plugged along on the bike planning to take it easy on the 1st loop to get my nausea stomach corralled & then pick it up on the 2nd loop. I had over 9 hours left to go 46 miles @ my avg unstressed pace of 15 mph on the bike & then even walk the marathon to make the midnight finish if necessary. Was rather shocked to find that they were pulling all chips at the beginning of the 2nd loop. There was a huge pile chips on the street & mine nnow one of tem. Only 3/6 of my age group (W 60-64) even made the swim cut off.

Barb L
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually They were. Back in my motel room the were as tall as the door. It picked up the longer one was out there. Initially agreed just a chop kinda fun, then a washing machine then these huge swells crashiing waves, water spitting like ice chips & bobbing to catch a climps of the next bouy.
The couse was set up with a 1800 yd swim leg which was directly into the wind.

barb
Quote Reply

Prev Next