Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me lighten up my TT bike?!
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I am a small light rider and my TT bike seems so heavy compared to road bike. How do I lighten it up? I ride a QRoo 2011 model. Are there lighter aerobars, etc. out there? Any other suggestions to lighten this bike?!

Thanks!

KK
Quote Reply
Re: Help me lighten up my TT bike?! [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need some "Drillium" modifications....see, you start with a nice center punch and a 1/16" high speed drill bit...a dab of metal cutting oil.....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Last edited by: R10C: Apr 23, 12 16:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear a Squatty Potty can lighten your overall load by 8 lbs!!

;-)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Help me lighten up my TT bike?! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wheels is a big one but could be expensive. Tires, tubes, stem, cockpit, saddle are other area you can make it lighter. post a full list of your bike and specs

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Help me lighten up my TT bike?! [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That actually looks like a piece of art.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never have to worry about water in the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me lighten up my TT bike?! [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
link5485 wrote:
Never have to worry about water in the frame.

But plenty of places for birds to build nests, that ain't aero OR light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been looking into lightening up my 2010 B2R, and I think the basebar is a good place to work with, depending on what you have. I am jusst having trouble finding one I like where I can keep the bar low and have the pads & extensions up higher. Look at YOUR basebar specs

--------------------------------------------------

Triathlon was started by a bunch of kids at the swimming hole, who heard the ice cream man. They swam to their bikes, chased down the truck, jumped off their bikes, and ran to be first in line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's easy to make bikes lighter- you do it by throwing money at them.
As long as it's your money- we'll all cheer you on!

just rember- on every course you'll ever race on... aero trumps weight.

this is gonna' be fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me lighten up my TT bike?! [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A QRoo Seduza. Standard components. What is the base bar? Is that on the aerobars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:
You need some "Drillium" modifications....see, you start with a nice center punch and a 1/16" high speed drill bit...a dab of metal cutting oil.....

We call those "speed holes"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kat....that, not matter how you cut it is a LOW gain opportunity - bar for bar. OE there really is nothing simple you can used to drop an appreciable amount of weight from the total package of the bike. Tri bikes weigh more, that is just a fact. I would say wheels would be an obvious first option - it is a heavy option however, more so if you have race wheels. Plus, if you have race wheels - on race day your spare tire, tube, CO2, fuel and on and on will offset your weight savings. I would just not worry about it if I was you - or, just get mad at your money and get a new ultra light bike to match your ultra light bill fold.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Send me a PM with the parts that you currently have on your build and I will be able to help out. Trust me, much better to discuss in a PM. ;^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kat_Kong wrote:
A QRoo Seduza. Standard components. What is the base bar? Is that on the aerobars?

I have a 2010 Seduza, and yeah, it's a pretty hefty pig, which kind of surprised me as it's not a super deep aero frame with a lot of obvious mass - it's pretty slim, relative to some of the aero frames out there. Here's a couple of key areas I've been looking at on mine:

- The stock wheels are definitely pretty heavy (over 1900 grams for the pair), and you can get some aero wheels that are a lot lighter. Zipp 404 FC clinchers, for example, will save you over 350 grams. If you want to save more, go tubular - 404 FC tubulars will save about 700 grams for the set, just for the wheels, plus the tubulars will be lighter.

- The no-name basebar, Vision aero bars, Tektro brake levers, and QR stem weigh over 1100 grams combined. They could be swapped out for something like a Profile Design Svet Zero with some HED Clip Lites, a Zipp Service course stem (since it's a 31.8 mm clamp), and Dura Ace brake levers, for a total weight of around 700 grams. You'll also have a more aero basebar.

- The crankset is also really heavy. A SRAM Red crankset and bottom bracket is good for over 200 grams over the stock spec (although I'm pretty sure they changed this for 2011, so yours might be a little bit lighter to start with, for less savings).

So, that's about 1300 grams saved, or close to 3 pounds, and you will have a more aero setup with the wheels and basebar. The bad news? That's also about $3500 worth of stuff... The wheels are definitely an area where you have a lot to gain, both in weight and aerodynamics, so that's where I would start.

For "free" weight loss, you could save a couple of ounces by cutting your seat post and any extra steerer tube that is above your stem.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Help me lighten up my TT bike?! [beebs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beebs wrote:

"Oh yeah... speed holes!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just remember, if there were just one or two simple, low-cost places to save a lot of weight, the manufacturer would've already spec'ed it that way before you bought it. It's still possible to save a lot of weight by adding little bits in a lot of places, but the costs will also add up at a rate that's likely even steeper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick Salazar did a fairly remarkable build, I hope it is ok to post a link to it.

http://www.tririg.com/...01_Lightest_Tri_Bike

Lots of ideas and inspiration there for you.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't you need to tape over those speed holes(?) Everyone knows invisible speed holes are the fastest speed holes :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beebs wrote:
R10C wrote:

Not familiar with that instrument. Where do you blow into it?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me lighten up my TT bike?! [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
Nick Salazar did a fairly remarkable build, I hope it is ok to post a link to it.

http://www.tririg.com/...01_Lightest_Tri_Bike

Lots of ideas and inspiration there for you.

Looks like my old Aero-Lite pedals, what a pain in the ass. Nice to see a high end bike rocking friction shifting. At least we have one thing in common.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me lighten up my TT bike?! [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Trust me, much better to discuss in a PM. ;^)

yes

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Help me lighten up my TT bike?! [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing about the TriRig build is that you could still save weight on that build and get it lower still while not making the aerodynamics any worse. I think Nick could do another project with his Omega Brakes on a different frame and go lighter.

My SLC will be the same weight as the TriRig build but I have drop bars, Sram Red Shifters, full carbon aero chainrings and will be running the Omega brakes. I think Nick could get a tri bike built up to less than 12lbs easy.
Quote Reply