Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Has anyone used ibike?
Quote | Reply
Have any of you used ibike for power readings. can't afford a powertap so I' looking at cheaper alternatives. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone used ibike? [tryguy67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't bother
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone used ibike? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try to find a used powertap instead.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never used one, but set one up on a customer's bike. Total pain. Took 2 of us 3 hours to set the %^& thing up and calibrate it for the guy who rode it. The customer ended up selling it because he was thinking it was giving imprecise results. Which I would tend to agree with. IMO It's orders of magnitude better to have a powermeter that is precise and inaccurate rather then more accurate but imprecise.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not precise enough. Skip it. I had big changes from week to week, which showed me it wasn't accurate to itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most people bag them but have never had one. It's always a friend/customer/whatever. Don't listen to them. It's like taking weight loss advice from a sumo wrestler.

Had one. Used it. Better than no power meter at all. Now have a Powertap which I consider better but when I got it and had the two running side-by-side the results were reasonably comparable. Perhaps not so much in magnitude (i.e. actual watts) but definitely relative to each other. If you base your numbers on tests done using the iBike it will do the job alright.

It won't do short, sharp measurements well. It won't do well if you are drafting. For steady state, solo training which forms the bulk of most triathletes workouts they are actually pretty good. Having said that, I would still try to find the extra cash for a Powertap if you can especially if you are going to be using a trainer at all.
Last edited by: stikman: Apr 16, 12 22:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll make you a great deal on mine.....seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used one last season, it was very consistent if set up properly - some people might find the set up part annoying, but I actually enjoyed playing with the numbers.
I switched to Powertap and used them together for awhile, the numbers were very close for the most part. I noticed that the iBike doesn't work very well for "instant pacing" (eg. for intervals), there is a lot more fluctuation in the readings. The numbers are fine after they are downloaded and smoothed out. It's a neat gadget, and I don't personally regret buying it, but go for the Powertap if you want simple and ready-to-use.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone used ibike? [naxen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't visited this forum in years; someone sent me a link to this thread.

It's sad that no one asks the obvious question: if the iBike is so bad, why is it still around?

The iBike is a pain to set up! It's not consistent from ride to ride! It's so complicated!

Really?

How true it is that facts can change, even if opinions don't.

If you're daring enough, go to http://www.ibikeforum.com. Look for the Newton announcement.

And in June, go to your Apple Store and check out the new POWERHOUSE. You might be very surprised to learn the identity of the coach who designed the power training plans for it.

While some companies keep charging you a fortune for the same old technology, and other companies promise you (expensive) new technology but can't deliver--even after trying for years to do so--iBike keeps improving and simplifying its products, software, apps and value.

John Hamann
Last edited by: kyzyl2: Apr 17, 12 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone used ibike? [kyzyl2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But I hate apple, and I really hate a sales pitch!

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone used ibike? [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What sales pitch? The guy just told you to go to a forum for the thing and get the opinion of real world users. Sounds like he's confident that it's users will do the selling for him.

The Garmin/Metrigear dig was really just a statement of fact. Several years on we still have no product and no firm release date.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone used ibike? [stikman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Sounds like he's confident that it's users will do the selling for him."

On the other hand, the two actual users in this thread who claim the ibike "wasn't that bad" both switched to using a PT, so I guess they were bad enough.

Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone used ibike? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I was one of them. Neither of us actually said why we moved to a PT but you have just assumed it was because we weren't happy with the performance of the iBike. In my case you are completely wrong. I can't speak for naxen but his assessment didn't seem like he was dissatisfied. Neither of us said it "wasn't that bad" (by the way you shouldn't use quotation marks if you are paraphrasing, quotation marks are for quoting), I said it was alright. In fact I still occasionally use my iBike.

I bought a Powertap because:
a) Morons who had never owned one had me doubting the accuracy of the iBike.
b) I understood that a DFPM should always (if correctly calibrated) be more precise than an inferred/calculated PM.
c) A really cheap offer on a wireless PT and had spare cash to take it up.
d) I planned to use the two in conjunction to do some aero testing (did you know that you could do that?)
e) It would be more accurate on my trainer/rollers.

As I stated in a previous post, the first point was proven incorrect just by using the two side by side. The iBike tracked the PT very well. The second and fifth points are still true, the third was opportunistic and the fourth required both units. Had I known that the iBike was accurate I would have still bought the PT for the other reasons.

Fact of the matter is, the iBike will do the job that most triathletes want it to do. If you can afford it buy an SRM/Quark/Powertap first would be my advice. The OP has clearly stated that he cannot and is asking whether the iBike is a viable alternative as it fits his price range. Two people that own one say yes, a few others with baseless opinions and sticks up their arses say no. Like I say, it's much better than no PM. A Ferrari is better than a Toyota but that doesn't mean I'd rather walk than own a Toyota.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone used ibike? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used one for a month along with my PT, it was the biggest PIA I've ever used on a bike.

While the unit worked as prescribed it wasn't even close to any of my 3 PT's unless they are all reading low by 60 watts at 220. And then there was the false flat problem and slight downhill with the wind problem. No instant power reading to make me adjust, yes sure the average was consistant but the data while riding was useless.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stikman wrote:
Most people bag them but have never had one. It's always a friend/customer/whatever. Don't listen to them. It's like taking weight loss advice from a sumo wrestler.

Had one. Used it. Better than no power meter at all. Now have a Powertap which I consider better but when I got it and had the two running side-by-side the results were reasonably comparable. Perhaps not so much in magnitude (i.e. actual watts) but definitely relative to each other. If you base your numbers on tests done using the iBike it will do the job alright.

It won't do short, sharp measurements well. It won't do well if you are drafting. For steady state, solo training which forms the bulk of most triathletes workouts they are actually pretty good. Having said that, I would still try to find the extra cash for a Powertap if you can especially if you are going to be using a trainer at all.
The new Gen IV iBike will work as head unit for a budget Powertap Elite. Good combo!
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=3558260#3558260
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Neither of us said it "wasn't that bad" (by the way you shouldn't use quotation marks if you are paraphrasing, quotation marks are for quoting)"

Sorry, those were supposed to be finger quotes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy had one, has PT now. It's not accurate in varying terrain. His power would be up to 15% off compared to my PT and we are only 1 kg different. If you lived someplace very flat and rode same position all day it might be more consistent but i couldn't say for sure. Powertaps are not without problems either. I will wait to badmouth Cycleops for now until I see how how my 5 week ongoing issue is handled longterm though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stikman wrote:
What sales pitch? The guy just told you to go to a forum for the thing and get the opinion of real world users. Sounds like he's confident that it's users will do the selling for him.
That's John Hamann, iBike's CEO. Several times on several forums (including here on ST) he or people who work for iBike have made positive posts about iBike or derogatory posts about competing products without identifying themselves as employees. I've called him out on it twice, and twice (once on the wattage list, and once on another forum) he has agreed that as a company policy, whenever an employee of iBike posted on it or a competing product, they would identify themselves. Make of this what you will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with stikman. I bought an iBike iSport in 2010 and used it for 2 years. I also have a PT and Quarq now and have found each has their own pluses and minuses depending on how you want to use them. I started with the iBike when I started training with power because I couldnt afford a PT or Quarq at the time, and the iSport was their entry level unit. After some calibration (which was more reading than actually calibrating) I had it up and running and used it for all my outdoor training and racing that year. I upgraded the same unit to the iPro that fall so that I could start to download my data and get a more accurate calibration. I again trained and raced on it and was also able to use it on my trainer with the trainer firmware. After reading all the iBike literature I decided I wanted to go to the next level with the iAero, so thats when I got myself a Quarq and upgraded the same unit again to the iAero. There are a lot of features in that unit that you cant get with a regular (Garmin 500 or the like) head unit and a DFPM. I used that training and racing all last year to refine my position by using the realtime CdA measurement feature.

What I'm trying to point out is that its the only unit out there that allows you to buy 1 device and then upgrade the firmware with the features you want. I ended up having everything that iBike offered and found it to be very useful, especially when combined with a DFPM like a PT or Quarq.

If you want something that you can move quickly to multiple bikes then your options are iBike and PT. If you want to spend $300-$500 and not mess with changing wheels then your option is iBike. The accuracy of the iBike pretty good, within 5% of the DFPM I've found. I should also mention that I've noticed that much or more variance between a PT and Quarq when both are 'properly calibrated' as well, so there isnt one that is completely accurate. They are all pretty relative to each other and the iBike offers features that the others dont.

If you are willing to spend the money to invest in a power meter then you should also spend the time and understand how to use power. How many people do I know have PTs or Quarqs because someone recommended that they train with power, and they have no idea what any of this actually means and they just go out and ride and turn it on and then look at an avg. watt power number when they are done, or even weeks later when they get around to actually downloading data from their head unit because they are out of memory space. Whether you spend $300 or $3000 on a power meter the thing is useless if you dont understand what training with power means.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one years ago and upgraded twice to the most current iAero with wireless mount. Given my history of frustration with this product (the reasons for upgrading along the way which wasn't cheap at all), I wish I hadn't bought it in the first place, although for you it may work out as the current version is okay and does not suffer from some of the serious problems the older versions had, such as normal road vibration affecting accuracy. If you have the patience to put up with the calibration procedures (that takes away from your riding time) and really want a power meter, its not a bad buy, but just don't expect it to be plug and go which it is not.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone used ibike? [Jie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jie wrote:
If you have the patience to put up with the calibration procedures (that takes away from your riding time)

Ummmmmm. The only part of calibration that takes any time is the calibration ride and coast downs, performed by............riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no opinion on the matter, but it seems like with some patience you can get a used PT for the same price as a new iBike (based on a cursory google)...

-2cents

tweets.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone used ibike? [siegfried08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it when a company representative post about how good their products are and go farther by bashing well established products and company

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone used ibike? [stef32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
by the way I had an ibike and switch to powertap, big difference.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but riding for the purpose of calibration is not the same as just riding. You gotta go out and come back to the same spot you started from within a relatively short distance, and it has to be a nice day without too much wind or traffic, and you gotta repeat it if you change your equipment, and so on. And on a daily basis, you have to do the wind offset calibration - granted it is automatic and takes only seconds, but it has to be done at the outdoor temperature which takes minutes before you actually push the button. What I meant to convey here is there is a trade off between cost vs. easy of use with the iBike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next