Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? (updated)
Quote | Reply
Got it on Saturday, and last night it started getting itchy. Today, oh yeah, we're there: Itchytown, USA! Population ME!

I had some Caladryl at home, but was going to go to the grocery store to get something else, any recommendations?
Last edited by: Tridiot: Apr 18, 12 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds wacky, but run hot water over the arms (check temp to ensure you won't burn yourself). In about 20-30 seconds it will start to itch even more. Keep the water running and in a minute or so the itching will subside and last quite a while. This was my go to a few years ago when I had it on my legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't scratch your arms and then take a pee without washing your hands first!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post Poison Ivy there are several "Non itch" products that are similar to Calamine that work. I prefer some of the tube ones because they aren't as liquid as the ones in the bottle and seem to not get all over the place as easily.

Other than that, learn to not scratch.

If you're around the stuff at all I would strongly suggest getting the anti poison ivy soap. I make it a habit to take a shower pretty much right after anytime I'm doing any serious yard work these days and wash with this stuff.

It's ALL OVER the place in my yard and in the field etc. I could be pulling weeds out of the flower beds and end up with it all over my hands because I didn't see a small plant of it.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oakasm...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Oakasm

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [Smil'n Hawaiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not cheap, but pick up some over the counter Zanfel cream. It does wonders regardless of the stage of the reaction. You can usually find it at Walmart, Walgreens, or others in the pharmacy for around $40/tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone is giving you some good advice. You might consider stopping by your doc and seeing if you can get a predisone script. That usually takes care of it in 2 or 3 days (but you still have to finish the dose pack).

Benadryl helps too.

Bernie

Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowbern wrote:
Everyone is giving you some good advice. You might consider stopping by your doc and seeing if you can get a predisone script. That usually takes care of it in 2 or 3 days (but you still have to finish the dose pack).

Benadryl helps too.

Bernie

This: steroids. I used topical corticosteroid cream (2% or whatever) last time I had it, and that worked better than anything else.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's gotten worse from this morning to now, so I might be heading down the prescription path...

Need to put some gauze to stop it from spreading more too. Ooof.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Predisone will clear it up the fastest, but for such a small area may not be worth it.

Let it run its course.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if I'm at about 60-70% of each forearm being covered?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get it BAD so I know how you feel. Prescription of prednisone would be my advice if you have that much. Remember, the ozzing stuff does not contain any of the volitile oils, you can't spread it. Once you wash off the oil, the rest is just your body fluids as your system fights the invander.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chainpin wrote:
Predisone will clear it up the fastest, but for such a small area may not be worth it.

Let it run its course.

Agreed, usually I let it run its course. Hot water trick works good for an hour or so.

Last week I had it in my eye and it swole up. I did get the prednisone this time and it has been much less itchy. Instead of buying the expensive packs, my doc gives me script for 10mg pills to take varing numbers each day. First day 3, then 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1. That works out to about $2.50 vs a $30 copay for the packs.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
slowbern wrote:

Benadryl helps too.

Bernie

This: steroids. I used topical corticosteroid cream (2% or whatever) last time I had it, and that worked better than anything else.

Yep. Topical cortisone cream if it's contained to a few discreet areas, oral steroids if it's widespread. Everything else is just window dressing.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest issue with poison ivy is keeping it off gloves, boots, tools, etc.

Last summer I kept getting mild ivy itch on my face after gong to our getaway house (probalby from putting in contacts, etc.), even on weekends when I didn't work outside, so it was definitely on something that I was touching, so I wiped down all door knobs, threw away gloves and cleaned the handles on all the tools with Technu and I didn't have any problems.

I had a friend that had it all over and infested his sleeping bag with it, and he got it bad about three times after until he figured out the cause, but the kicker is he washed the bg and then tried it again and sure enough he got it again.

He threw the bag out in the end.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point: Do I need to ditch the work gloves I had on this weekend? I washed them, but...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big fan of soaking the affected area in epsom salt water. Had it really bad awhile back all over my body while living in Boston. Would take the subway to the beach during my lunch break and took AM/PM epsom salt baths. Cleared it right up w/o drugs.

Quote | Reply
My neighbor got it on his jeans and then spread it into his pickup seat.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips on treating some poison ivy I have on my forearms? [Smil'n Hawaiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

LMAO!!! That was the best! Explains many of my hot showers over the years while covered in poison oak!

I'm deathly allergic to poison oak. I swear I can ride by it on my mountain bike at 20 mph and still get it. To get over it I also get the 2% cream and absolutely have to get the pred steroids. Awhile back at an adventure race I was introduced to a product called Tecnu. I tried it after a race up in the Folsom area where we slogged through tons of poison oak. After the race we wiped ourselves down with Tecnu and it was money! No poison oak. You can get it at most of the mainstream drug stores. Since using this stuff, I've seldom had it and when I have it, it is generally in the areas I didn't wipe down with the Tecnu. I was told you can use this stuff on your clothes too, but I just wash 'em right after the exposure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowbern wrote:

Benadryl helps too.

Bernie

This. Cold will help alleviate the itch somewhat, but ice can damage the skin so cool wash cloths.
You can also try a tepid bath in baking soda, but it is a temporary fix as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tridiot wrote:
What if I'm at about 60-70% of each forearm being covered?

My wife had it over about 90% of her legs. She had blisters on her blisters. Scare young children kind of grossness. We were on vacation and were at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. She hears a little girl ask her mom, "Mommy, what's wrong with that lady's legs, is that what leprosy looks like?"

4 weeks of prednisone to clear it up. As time went on it got worse and worse and she just kept breaking out in new places. When she went to the doctor he gasped, "Oh my god, are you sure that is poison ivy? And do you mind if I bring in some students because I've never seen a case like this."

The gloves are probably fine if you washed them. The reaction is caused by an oil that can be washed off. But for most people who have a reaction you have to wash it off in the first few minutes.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI - Since you know you get it bad, I would suggest you try a product called "ivy block". Its a skin protectant that basically seals your pours a bit to prevent absorbtion. I tried it for the first time at the American river 50 mile run last weekend where we were brushing up against poison oak all day long, it was completely unavoidable. When I finished, I wiped myself down with cold water and a clean towel. Not a lick of PO. I showered with tons of soap within about an hour of crossing the finish line. This time I did not use Technu, like I usually do, because I left it at home. I'm a beleiver in the Ivy Block now for sure.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya gotta get the urushiol oil off. May be a little late but this is the ticket. http://www.teclabsinc.com/...poison-oak-ivy/tecnu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so allergic to poison ivy I am suddenly feeling itchy from reading this thread...
Last edited by: ziptied: Apr 16, 12 12:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've had it crop up in our yard several times over the years; couple times I was just careless and got it directly, other times I'm pretty sure I got it second-hand from something else that had been contaminated. If it's just on arms/legs, the hot water trick is awesome (it's as if it boils out several hours' worth of evil all at once), and the topical creams are also helpful, plus you can cover them up with some sort of dressing to soak up the ooze and keep the mess off your clothes, sheets, etc.

However, one time when I hadn't realized I'd come in contact until it was way too late, I'd already taken a normal hot shower and unknowingly spread it all over so once the outbreak began I knew where it was headed. Ho-Lee Shit was that bad... got it all over my junk and everything (flashing it to the semi-hot female intern working the urget care clinic was about the only enjoyable part of the whole ordeal). I attempted the hot water trick afterwards in the shower, but simply couldn't endure it no matter how tough I tried to steel myself, and ended up going in for the Prednisone Rx. Since gotten it again on the extremities and the Rx isn't really worth it if you can get the affected area into the sink.
Quote Reply

Prev Next