Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [silentcs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the bonds between the amino acid are broken, then it would be extremely effective in digestion (this generally occurs by hydrochloric acid in the stomach). However my understanding is that the heat process (and extreme heat in certain cases) actually denatures the amino acids and damages their structure (and as a result function), but I'm not a biochem expert, so I cant go into more depth. Another case against lots of cooked food is that your body initiates an immune response when cooked food enters your body (watch Food Matters for an explanation of this).

Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott, I'm in total agreement with you. Cooking, denatures proteins, which I believe is helpful. The Maillard reaction is the culprit for loss of protein content during cooking. Cross-linking of molecules almost always equates to higher stability (greater resistant to hydrolysis or other degradation reactions).
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert Preston wrote:
Title of thread is self-explanatory. Whaddya have first thing in the morning?

RP

100% Kona Coffee.

Oh and some brown rice congee.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still in the "trying to lose weight" training period, so here you go:

1 cup frozen mixed fruits, thawed 60" in microwave
1 cup Special K berry cereal
1 small greek yogurt, either honey or caramel flavored.

total Calories = 260.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First thing in the morning before an early workout is toast or rice cakes with jam and maybe some a smear of almond butter. Depends on length of the workout.

Post workout is either sprouted whole grain toast or oatmeal. Both w/ almond butter, honey, cinnamon, sprinkle of hemp seeds and banana

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breakfest is pretty much always oatmeal with some fruit, pb and maple syrup.

Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to say that a vegetarian diet is healthier than a traditional diet, I was simply defending the fact that it wasn't unhealthy. There are definitely some convincing arguments in favour of it when it comes to reduction of nutritional stress, improved digestive efficiency/bio-availability, and reduction of acidity/increased alkalinity of the diet. As well as generally being a less expensive option.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually some combination of oatmeal with peanut butter and any of the following: Applesauce, Cinnamon, almost any type of fresh or dried fruit or nuts, yogurt, wheat grass, protein powder, skim milk

Half a banana w/peanut butter as a pre-workout snack

or if hungrier

3 eggs (1 whole + 2 egg whites) w/vegetables on corn tortillas with cheese and salsa

Leftovers from whatever "healthy" dinner I had the night before
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Costco can make the cost of a lot of these items much lower. Costco has a good selection of berries fresh in season or frozen out of season. Eggs are super cheap as well.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
Two cups of coffee.

Three eggs (any style/ organic free range from my own chickens in the backyard)

2-3 sausages or bacon strips (nitrate free, pastured pork)

1 cup of a vegetable like spinach or a piece of fruit.

Pretty much eat the same thing every morning. I'm a creature of habit. Once and a while I will make a fried egg sandwich with gluten free bread if I need more carbs for a workout or a race.

And yes, I do consider this to be very healthy.

Dave
In Reply To:

My same breakfast after training. Before training, coffee and a banana. I consider this very healthy and satiating. What are you using for "nitrate free"? Uncured, or maybe salt cured with natural occuring nitrates?
My same breakfast, every weekday morning after training
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I eat only the "ironkids" vitamins from costco and water. Yikes lets not go there or their or they're....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
same thing every morning before work: a large (~300g) sweet potato, microwaved, chopped into chunks and drizzled with ~1.5tbsp almond butter with ground cinnamon sprinkled on top.

weekend brunches can be anything: frittata, pancakes, omelettes, french toast, scrambles, hash browns, latkes, whatever i feel like making. usually have at least 2 servings of fruit and/or vegetables, though.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
I don't know about healthy, but some combination of:

Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup of museli, maybe fresh fruit
Hard-boiled egg
Ezekiel bread with natural PB, roasted almonds, local honey
Eggs on toast drenched in Cholula, maybe cheese
Tortilla with eggs/grilled chicken/Cholula/maybe cheese
Coffee
Water

probably not the tortilla, unless its made of corn. flour tortillas used transfat based oils.

As for vegetarianism being more healthy..lol. Would a diet of french fries and other fried food be healthy? No. Your body makes cholesterol from fats,so while your total maybe low on a plant diet, if its fried food you still can have bad ratios that promote heart disease.

My pre-breakfast is usually dark chocolate and coffee ; after workout a cin/raisin bagel with chocolate pea protein ; or smoked salmon and some sweet bread with nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [RPMacDonald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to have a bowl of steel cut oats with banana, cinnamon, raisins, almond butter and coconut milk on most mornings. On a day with longer workouts i'll use quinoa with free range organic eggs scrambled in with 2 tablespoons coconut oil and maybe a piece of fruit. My advice is find a few breakfast meals you like and rotate them in and out. That's how you stay consistent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 hard boiled eggs, a slice of whole wheat toast with fruit spread and an Americano with skim milk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 Staples!
Eggs - Protein (can add veggies in a scramble for nutrients)
Fruit - Carbs with nutrients
Almond Butter (Healthy Fat)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a very long time, pop tarts - strawberry frosted, with a greek yogurt (chobani or oikos) and banana

Now, 1 - 1.5 cups greek yogurt, 1/4 - 1/2 cup granola, 1-2 tbsp honey and a banana.
With coffee, black of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COFFEE!

After training a whey protein shake made with milk and added powdered creatine. Then an apple and sliced cheese.

And more COFFEE!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my staple:

1 egg over hard
1 egg over easy
1 slice of silver hills bread (big 16 or flax) some days two slices
cheez whiz
franks red hot
cut diagonally, add franks red hot put together pop the yolk, add franks to the yolk. dip and eat.

300 cals +/-

Kicking horse coffee to wash it down

You've gotten tons of great examples already but in glancing through I didn't see this mentioned:

oatmeal with berries
banana with Nutella

It's kinda the best breakfast ever, it tastes like dessert and is a fantastic start to the day, with a good, healthy protein/carb/fat mix, and about 500 calories give or take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Homemade muesli blended to my particular tastes and nutritional needs that morning. I basically just keep a bunch of bulk food in jars and throw in a handful of this and that. The raw large flake oats are perhaps an acquired taste.

-grains: large flake oats (raw), bran flakes, sometimes puffed quinoa and other exotic grains
-nuts and seeds: almonds, pumpkin, sunflower, walnuts (last two are great because they're relatively cheap)
-dried fruit: raisins, cranberries, dates, apricots
-occasional ingredients: shredded coconut, cocoa powder (unsweetened), pumpkin pure (surprisingly good)
-1%milk
-banana

Also a bowl of 1% or 2% plain yogurt and/or cottage cheese with berries (seasonal) on top and a dollop of PB or AlmondB. And if I'm extra hungry, a homemade muffin (carrot date, zucchini coccoa, banana choc. chip etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if breakfast was pushing 800Cal some mornings.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Goosedog wrote:
I don't know about healthy, but some combination of:

Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup of museli, maybe fresh fruit
Hard-boiled egg
Ezekiel bread with natural PB, roasted almonds, local honey
Eggs on toast drenched in Cholula, maybe cheese
Tortilla with eggs/grilled chicken/Cholula/maybe cheese
Coffee
Water

probably not the tortilla, unless its made of corn. flour tortillas used transfat based oils.

Probably not, but it's got to be a hell of a lot better for me than the steak and cheese quesadilla I just had for lunch. Oh, and the glorious basket of chips with red and green salsas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quaker Instant Oatmeal (dry): 1 package plain, 1 package reduced-sugar Maple and Brown Sugar, with 1TB walnut chips, 1TB chia seeds, and a little bit of cocoa powder. And, a banana. Same breakfast everyday for years...
Quote Reply
Re: Healthy eaters: What do you eat for breakfast? [jw67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
a new fav of mine is 3 tbs Chia seeds soaked...

I read this as Lbs. Tbs is a much more sensible amount...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been making up a huge batch of quinoa at the beginning of the week and then loading it up daily with chia seeds, plain greek yogurt, berries, maybe some dried fruit, banana a little bit of maple syrup or honey. This keeps me pretty full till lunch. Quick and easy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next