Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

moving a treadmill upstairs
Quote | Reply
The good news is that my wife and I just moved into a great new house. The bad news is that I've got to figure out a way to get our big heavy ass Precor treadmill upstairs. Anyone have some tips that would help? I've taken off the console so now its just the deck and motor (in other words its flat which will make it a little easier). I figure if they put pool tables upstairs its got to be possible. Should I just hire some gorilla movers and be done with it?
Thanks--

J.

http://www.fuelforendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: moving a treadmill upstairs [jmayo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 options - a few big, strong friends and some beer if you are up for it, or call your local movers (piano movers are great for this type of thing) and shell out the $100-$200 to have them do it.

Also, just something to keep in mind - if you are in a typical residential home, be very cautious about a treadmill on the second floor. Most homes will not take kindly to that level of vibration and pounding in the form of cracked sheetrock and significant flex in the floor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
assuming your stairwell is plenty wide, how about an appliance dolly? Two people should be able pull/push it up the stairs no problem. Count it as a workout for the day.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've moved twice with my Landice and I can tell you, for the big dudes who moved me that was the single worst thing for them to move. It's heavy and really awkward and after watching 'professionals' do it, that's one thing I wouldn't try to do with a couple of friends.
Quote Reply
Re: moving a treadmill upstairs [darrahc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when I lived in Vegas and lived in two different places with a second floor we put the treadmill up there. Called some friends over and gave them beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got my big heavy ass Precor treadmill upstairs. Take the console off and disconnect the wires, then it's heavy but a managable shape. My brother and I were able to get it upstairs pretty easily. Just make sure you put it over an area where the construction can take the load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appliance dolly and wife = success with our pacemaster. The appliance dolly is one thing I'm glad I own every time I need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sounds like its tough but doable! Is it best to bring the motor (heavy end) up first? I'll let you know how it goes--

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No - heavy end down. That way the person walking backward has less weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time I moved -- the local college had a work-hire website and I googled everyone who answered my ad and picked 2 from the rugby team. I paid them $20/hr but it only took them an hour to clear our house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend lying to your biggest toughest friends about what you are needing them to move. "Some exercise equipment", don't invite the ones who know that you own a treadmill. Reward the duped friends with beer.
Quote Reply
Re: moving a treadmill upstairs [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Appliance dolly and wife = success with our pacemaster. The appliance dolly is one thing I'm glad I own every time I need it.

You got your wife to move it? Nice!!!! Can you give me some tips? I want to watch the last NHL games of the season today and if you have some tips that can get her to do all the work I will owe you one.

Quote | Reply
Ha, I wish. I guess I should have added + me. Getting the wife to help requires at least a 2 hour warning and some kind of reward. Usually I move things around myself when she's not around to see and hear the inevitable cursing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have enough room to make the turn upstairs once you have it up there? If so call some friends.

Re: moving a treadmill upstairs [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
You have enough room to make the turn upstairs once you have it up there? If so call some friends.

Its definitely an issue. I think, unfortunately, we will have to stand it up then pivot it around. It will suck for sure. Maybe I should wait until my homeowners insurance kicks in before I attempt to move it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just pay some piano movers to do it. It'll cost you some $$$, but if they screw up, they will have to cover the damage.

--------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok i held back dude get A couple of friends over and move the damn thing it really is not that hard. Except maybe for the pivot. And that really is not hard. Use a few of them muscles you burned off runing and biking :0) remember lift with your legs and not your back. But just move e damn thing and buy yourself a nice hydration sytsem with the money you saved!

Quote | Reply
jmayo wrote:
The good news is that my wife and I just moved into a great new house. The bad news is that I've got to figure out a way to get our big heavy ass Precor treadmill upstairs. Anyone have some tips that would help? I've taken off the console so now its just the deck and motor (in other words its flat which will make it a little easier). I figure if they put pool tables upstairs its got to be possible. Should I just hire some gorilla movers and be done with it?
Thanks--

J.

Craigslist for movers.

Or Home Depot for cheap labor (immigrants usually hanging around looking for work, lots of them - bring 4 of 'em and it' sa cakewalk.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
leave the treadmill where it is and run up and down the stairs instead!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
movers and packers dubai is the best moving and packing company in dubai. We help you load, unload, pack and dismantle your cargo safely. We ensure that every box is properly packed so it will arrive at its destination in perfect condition
Last edited by: alice_678: Oct 3, 22 4:42
Quote Reply