Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tillquist wrote:

Then there is created a version 2 today, it is more stable and robust constructed than the first model.

Very nice, was this your inspiration?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A word of warning guys - beware of metal fatigue. My Garmin overtook me on a downhill today at about 50kmh and rolled off into the bushes. Found it luckily but it looks like I'm either back to the drawing board or I'll be begging Tillquist for one of his Starship Enterprise mounts!

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [rebem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rebem wrote:
A word of warning guys - beware of metal fatigue. My Garmin overtook me on a downhill today at about 50kmh and rolled off into the bushes. Found it luckily but it looks like I'm either back to the drawing board or I'll be begging Tillquist for one of his Starship Enterprise mounts!

That's a drag. At least you got it back. The first mount I created stupidly used only industrial epoxy to hold the disc to the aluminum extension. The bond failed, my 500 went skittering out into the middle of the road and was promptly crunched by an oblivious Mini driver. I really should have known better. Sigh.

Forming a sharp 90° bend in flat stock is always going to be a problem sooner or later. For your next iteration, maybe try to form a curve instead?

http://www.vengavelo.com
Last edited by: cendres: Apr 8, 12 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [cendres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cendres wrote:
That's a drag. At least you got it back. The first mount I created stupidly used only industrial epoxy to hold the disc to the aluminum extension. The bond failed, my 500 went skittering out into the middle of the road and was promptly crunched by an oblivious Mini driver. I really should have known better. Sigh.

Forming a sharp 90° bend in flat stock is always going to be a problem sooner or later. For your next iteration, maybe try to form a curve instead?

Thanks Cendres and sorry to hear about your 500!

I didn't form the bend in my mount, it was already there from the manufacture of the aluminium. It's an old whiteboard pen holder (tray on the bottom of whiteboards) so I just drilled a few holes and filed the curves into it. Might have to reinforce it somehow - maybe with another piece as a second angle mount... Lots of thinking to do but what a fun project!

Nice photos BTW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Prototype 3:
[list]Weight: 12,8 g
The 3ed model is now complete.
The locking mechanism is now machined into the mount.[/list]

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tillquist wrote:

Prototype 3:

Very nicely done! I need a CNC mill.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks rebem. Here's a thought: Rather than doubling up, you might want to try starting from scratch with a piece of flat aluminum stock and creating a gentle bend rather than a sharp crease. You can get a good length of this at any hardware store for just a couple of dollars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mount envy. I love the Starship Enterprise look!
I wonder if it would clear the aerobars on 3T Mistrals, if used on the top stem screws? You need to market this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool.

I would make one note.

One of the benefits of the Garmin mount is that there is a tab that engages the into the notch of the bottom of the "wings" on the bottom of the 500. This keeps the 500 from rotating and fixes it into a proper orientation. Your new mount without the Garmin mount does not have this positive lock. I see you have a friction mount at both the top and bottom to engage the wings. But, I would be concerned the the 500 could rotate free or be rattled and rotated and eject. I think your version 2 is better because of it's use of the standard Garmin mount.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where can I get one of these?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Very cool.

I would make one note.

One of the benefits of the Garmin mount is that there is a tab that engages the into the notch of the bottom of the "wings" on the bottom of the 500. This keeps the 500 from rotating and fixes it into a proper orientation. Your new mount without the Garmin mount does not have this positive lock. I see you have a friction mount at both the top and bottom to engage the wings. But, I would be concerned the the 500 could rotate free or be rattled and rotated and eject. I think your version 2 is better because of it's use of the standard Garmin mount.

No, the Garmin 500 will not rotate.

There are 2 knobs on each side that hold the computer in place.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very slick. Are you just making these as a 1-off for yourself or do you have plans to sell these on the side?

If you're planning to sell on the side, do you have any thoughts on making the bolt pattern mount 'universal'?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [bcellis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcellis wrote:
Very slick. Are you just making these as a 1-off for yourself or do you have plans to sell these on the side?

If you're planning to sell on the side, do you have any thoughts on making the bolt pattern mount 'universal'?

I second that - would be VERY interested in one if you could match my Specialized bolt pattern - looks similar to the 3T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tillquist wrote:

This thing is incredible. Can you tell us the distance (c-c) between the bolt holes on this mount? I have FSA stems. Would like to know about compatibility. I might even be willing to get the stems to match if I have to.

If you are serious about selling when you get it the way you want, I want two! Would you ship to US?

Prototype 3:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tillquist wrote:

Absolutely fantastic work.

I would consider buying one if they were made available.

I'm competing against my current fitness level, and planning to kick my a**!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You win
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Very nice!

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
never mind the stem and mount, how do you like the Joule GPS?

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tillquist wrote:
jmh wrote:
Very cool.

I would make one note.

No, the Garmin 500 will not rotate.

There are 2 knobs on each side that hold the computer in place.

bump... is this going to be on sale anytime soon?
Last edited by: cyclops: Apr 22, 12 15:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tillquist wrote:

Prototype 3:

Morten, I hope with the interest in your mount on this forum (and others) that you are considering marketing it. If so, can you give us any information? When will it be available? Where can we get it? Will it be made to fit other brands of stem? Can you give an update? I want my Garmin in front of my stem, but I'm holding out on other mounts in hopes that I can get one of yours.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Crawdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all.

I have a full time job, 3 children and would like to go out and train a few hours a day.

So it's not many hours left in the end of the day.

I need a tool so I can make Garmin mount finished. I'll let you know when it's finished.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you be producing and selling these mounts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! That's slick.
Sell these mounts!
Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Modified Profile Design computer mount. The included mounting hardware is junk and doesn't tighten down well without stripping so I drilled holes through each end and went the zip tie route.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [godseyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3T have come out with their own stem and Garmin mount - the Integra Carbon.

I'm sure you've all seen this by now but it looks like we've inspired the manufacturers!

http://www.bikeradar.com/...omputer-mount-33927/
Quote Reply

Prev Next