Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [rlanger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rlanger wrote:
I use a Bontrager mount designed for their Node computers. Works great.

I decided to take this idea one step further. Went to my local Trek store, ordered Trek Part #424838 for $20. To my surprise , it came in official looking Bontrager packaging:

This mount is well built and crazy adjustable. Problem is, the Garmin base has rounded edges:

I decided to dremel the rounded edges and rubber band catches off the Garmin base, flip the little set screw around in the Bontrager mount, and then use two washers to take up the gap in the mount so the Garmin base sits perfectly flat. The base has a hole right in the center as well, so the Bontrager set screw fits perfectly inside. Here's a quick mspaint:

After some work with the Dremel, the edges are gone and the Garmin base is flat. This picture also shows the reversed set screw in the Bontrager mount:

Drop some superglue on the set screw, add the two washers. More superglue on the mount where it meets the modified Garmin base, and drop on the base. Notice that the set screw is recessed nicely into the Garmin mount so the Edge 500 can snap on without any issues. Also, the tabs on either side of the base that secure the unit are free to flex and hold the Edge 500 in place as designed by Garmin.

Here's the finished product. The mount is completely adjustable; you can move it as high or as low as you want. There's a bit of a space between the unit and the bar, so I assume it would fit a Edge 800 as well.

Simple, adjustable, and works great. I like that some vendors are stepping up here, but I haven't seen something that beats DIY just yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [notAswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome work!

Yes, it is a very high quality mount. I don't have the space on mine to flip the stem because it's mounted behind the hydration system between my aerobars. Might do you're hack for my roadie though. Looks great.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grosso27 wrote:
i don't understand why you guys are going through all this trouble. doesn't the FSA control center mount do exactly what you're looking for?
granted, it doesn't have the built-in 1/4 turn mount, it give you two pivot points, so you can mount the Edge flush with your bars.

Also, ran across this, thought it was interesting, if for nothing other than design ideas:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25g-Carbon-Bike-Stem-Speedometer-Bracket-Computer-mount-/251010977240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a716b8dd8#ht_9413wt_1202

I have one of these on my DA. Nice except that 75mm is looong. I'll get some pics up later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you attach the Garmin mount to the Bontrager mount?

The platform on the Bontrager mount is small and rectangular.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just used the o-ring bands and strapped the Garmin mount onto the Node platform. Works fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like there is something between your platform and the Garmin mount. I purchased the Bontrager mount and the platform is very small, 1cm x 3cm, and I cannot find a way to put the Garmin on directly. I think I will need something in between the 2.

Perhaps I have a slightly different mount, or the mount has changed? What I bought was the Bontrager Adjustable Computer Mount, Trek Part # 424838.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somehow I missed this post. This is the exact mount that I bought. I love what you did! Thanks for the detail. You must have purchased a bolt to have one to put the mount around the bar, and another into the Garmin. Do you know what size you used? Does it resist rotational forces well when putting the computer on?

I'm thinking about trying this with a Garmin 800 and aerobars. I think there will be room for everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
You must have purchased a bolt to have one to put the mount around the bar, and another into the Garmin. Do you know what size you used?
Nope, I didn't use any extra bolts, just the two washers to take up the gap. All the bolts you see in the photos came with the mount.

Ironma'am wrote:
Does it resist rotational forces well when putting the computer on?
So far. It's solid with the superglue. I try to be gentle and hold the base when twisting the computer on and off, but it seems plenty strong. I've done about 200 miles with this setup and taken the computer on and off a dozen or so times. No problems yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the first picture in your post, with the mount still in the packaging, I see a screw in the hole of the platform. Mine did not come with a screw in that location. I think that is why I am one screw short.

Of course, there could be other explanations why I am one screw short.... LOL!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You inspired me to get out the dremel...

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just thought I'd let you guys in on some info I found out this week. I stopped by AceCo, the makers of the K-edge chain catcher, this week here in Boise. I was picking up some go pro mounts and they showed me the new unseen yet garmin mount they are manufacturing. The first 30 or so were at anodize. When they get back they will be potographed to add to thier catalog then they will be shipped to Europe to be used by the pro teams in upcoming races. You might spot them on the pro bikes in the next couple of weeks. Not sure what the pricing will be as I didn't ask but trust me they will be worth it as the machining was incredible. It will work with all garmin computers with the turn lock and will put the computer directly in front of the stem. Saw a bunch of other very cool prototypes they were working on for gopro too.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [DB758201] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DB758201 wrote:
Just thought I'd let you guys in on some info I found out this week. I stopped by AceCo, the makers of the K-edge chain catcher, this week here in Boise. I was picking up some go pro mounts and they showed me the new unseen yet garmin mount they are manufacturing. The first 30 or so were at anodize. When they get back they will be potographed to add to thier catalog then they will be shipped to Europe to be used by the pro teams in upcoming races. You might spot them on the pro bikes in the next couple of weeks. Not sure what the pricing will be as I didn't ask but trust me they will be worth it as the machining was incredible. It will work with all garmin computers with the turn lock and will put the computer directly in front of the stem. Saw a bunch of other very cool prototypes they were working on for gopro too.

Assuming it mounts the Garmin in front of the stem, does it put the computer in line with the plane of the stem, or slightly above?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It mounts the computer in line with the plane of the stem. They made sure to point that out to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [DB758201] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone here I was inspired to make my own mount, so here are my first two prototypes. Number one used the whole Garmin mount, while number 2 is the same mount ground down to lose the elastic band tabs. I then used a countersunk screw in the middle, and if you look carefully there's a tiny little allen key bolt also holding the Garmin mount down on number 2 so it doesn't twist when you insert the Garmin unit. The aluminium is from a whiteboard pen holder, spacers are little collars from a hobby shop, bolts and washers from the local hardware store. I'm liking number 2 so I'll round off the edges and paint it when I get a chance. Sits nicely out front and there is no perceivable vibration when riding on the rough roads in Perth (Australia) hills.

...and the with the Garmin mounted:

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [rebem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Just stated my new project. A custom mount for Garmin 200/500/800 to mach my 3T stem.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude I love your work and still rocking the aluminum speedplay butterflies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That mount looks awesome! Please sell me one. I've got the same 3T stem and would love the same one if possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hayai_240 wrote:
That mount looks awesome! Please sell me one. I've got the same 3T stem and would love the same one if possible.

When i finish and look as I want. Then you Can buy one :-)

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Last edited by: Tillquist: Apr 4, 12 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Then there is created a version 2 today, it is more stable and robust constructed than the first model.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is very nice bit of kit, especially since it would work for many road and tri/tt bikes with stems with correct faceplate bolt dimensions. Would be even nicer if you could also make one that fit integrated road bars like the FSA Plasma or Pro Stealth Evo.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to say that is one awesome looking mount.

I'm competing against my current fitness level, and planning to kick my a**!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [IamRobot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine's on the way:

More at http://www.englishcycles.com/news/3-april-2012/

Thanks Rob!
Last edited by: GZA: Apr 4, 12 14:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That mount is sweet. looks like the starship Enterprise. I have seen a lot of good stuff in this thread. keep it coming.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not one photo of the new 3T Integra?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

[/quote]
That's extremely elegant. Nicely done.

Here's mine. I made this with just basic hand tools. I don't own so much as a drill press...

http://www.vengavelo.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next