Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anymore word on when the quarq garmin 500 mounts are going to be available?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here u go =)

hope this answers something

Last edited by: nathanong87: Mar 9, 12 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [mahunc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Joe Wurster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to keep you all up to date... I've been getting a bunch of emails from this posting. Below is a link for pre-order. We're planning on being able to start shipping parts in 3 weeks.

http://www.abovecategorycycling.com/...omputers-mounts.html

Best,

Woody
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Woodie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From looking at the pictures of your mount, it appears that I am going to have to untapped my bars and remove on set of shifters for the install. Is tha a true statement? Is there a reason you didn't use 2 screws similar to how the bars and stem bolt together?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bar Fly is made to stretch around the diameter of the bar. You will not have to unwrap your bars or remove your shifter. That factor was a must in designing this part... The reason I didn't go with two bolts was simple: it doesn't look as good or purpose built. I really wanted something that would blend in and compliment a bicycle.

Woody
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it work on a one piece bar stem combo? They seem to have even larger bad diameter.

Duncan
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the quarq one going to fit the 800 as well?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't understand why you guys are going through all this trouble. doesn't the FSA control center mount do exactly what you're looking for?
granted, it doesn't have the built-in 1/4 turn mount, it give you two pivot points, so you can mount the Edge flush with your bars.

Also, ran across this, thought it was interesting, if for nothing other than design ideas:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25g-Carbon-Bike-Stem-Speedometer-Bracket-Computer-mount-/251010977240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a716b8dd8#ht_9413wt_1202

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jeffmpollock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this. It inspired me to try my own version to mount in between my aerobars. I must admit that I don't know much about working with metal and have no idea how to source aluminum of the appropriate thickness. So, I took my son to home depot and we started looking through any materials that had the correct 1/16th thickness (I brought my calipers with me). I ended up buying a 10' strip of plastic from the windows and doors section for $10.

The end product may not look great, but I can certainly say that it functions well! The Garmin fits snug in there and is not about to swivel back and forth.

thanks for posting your solution!

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! I ended up making one for my TT bike, but I made it cross at the top of the aerobar extensions and then used electrical tape to secure it down to each extension. Works like a charm and a little cleaner than the zipp ties. If you make a 2nd one you could try that, just rotate what you did 90 degrees and make sure the cutouts are in the right spot. Well done!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [steepcreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea for the TT bars with the PVC !! cheap and easy.... nice work!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [wildworks99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was inspired by the guy's with the spoke and the nail. I wanted my mount up near the shifters so I could see it without moving my head down,and also because I have poor near vision and need it a little further out when I'm aero. I tried a knob extension from the LBS but it looked bulky and I also didn't want anything to interfere with my hand placement, I tend to move my hands around a bit from a normal grip to rolling my hands down the the sides of the extensions or occasionally clasping my hands together above them. I didn't want to lose any of my available hand placement spots.

I made mine without the nail and without the loop. By not making a loop the spoke extended further back along the bars and so I think it's plenty secure. Being a real man and all, I only had one option for securing the spoke ends to the bars... Duct tape. The spoke ends go back almost the length that I taped. I was going to use 2 tiny zip ties under the tape like the other guy did but I didn't have any so I stuck a couple of tight little rubber bands instead. In retrospect I think it would have been just fine without them. I knocked it around a good bit and it's plenty secure. The mount wiggle just a bit on it's own but once computer is on there it is rock steady. Mine is for a 310xt, but it's the same quick release mount for a 500 I think. If you've read this far, I'll expect a paypal of $9.99 sent for the proprietary info....

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jeffmpollock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff, where did you find this type of aluminum? I've been looking in a bunch of different hardware stores/home depot etc and can't find anything flat strips in 1/16th inch. Everything I've seen is angle iron. Any tips on where to find something like this?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got mine at lowes. Also found at A-boy. Could likely find online. Should be 1/16 thick, about 1.5 in wide. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [ComidaDeluxe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ComidaDeluxe -
Have you actually tried that setup on the road? I started with something similar before migrating to the method shown below because if your roads are anything like the ones here in NJ, surely that thing's gonna bounce around like crazy due to the weight of the Garmin 500.
Using the method below (which my friends refer to as a "Clark Mount") with a thick spoke (14 gauge, not what you'll find on expensive wheels) if's very stable on the bumpiest of roads.
Doug
www.triathlonlog.com
Edit: typo

Last edited by: BigBloke: Mar 14, 12 6:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I ended up buying a 10' strip of plastic from the windows and doors section for $10.

great DIY solution! i'd like to replicate.

if i wanted to find the same plastics at home depot, any guidance on what i'd ask for, e.g. product name or application purpose?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [415brian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't be home until later tonight, but I will get out the receipt and see If I can get an actual product number / description for you.

It was in the screen door section...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [415brian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a little more information on the plastic I purchased from Home Depot.
•731677350005 Porch Screen Base 3 1/2"
•The price was $10.45 for 10'

Although the product is made in the USA, I bought it in Canada. I don't know if there would be differences with what's available in the US. I've attached a picture of the actual piece so you can get an idea of what to look for.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perfect - thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's road tested and holds steady with a 310. I've never used a 500, but it's bigger than a 310, not sure about the weight difference. Angling it up helped but mainly I think it's the fact that I have more of the spoke secured straight to the bar than I have exposed. There's a good 3-4 inches of spoke extending along the bars under the tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [ComidaDeluxe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beston - where do your hands go...........
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have moved the mount back an inch or so, but the mount still covers about half of the grip.

When normally riding, my hands feel most comfortable when gripping the shifter body (the lever sits between my fingers) and I never seem to hold much of the grip anyway.

Having said that, I haven't ridden the bike since putting on the mount, so I can't yet confirm that this is the best position for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emailed Quarq and heard that the Lopro 500 mount is scheduled to be released in May 2012.

I think it may be just close enough that I will wait to see more about it and price before I buy another option.

Having it on the stem is ok for now, but i can see where in front of the handlebars would be pretty amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woodie,

Have you thought about making the Bar fly in a TT version that would mount via a screw clasp off of one of the extensions and then turn 90 degrees so that the face of the 500 would sit in-between the aerobars?

I currently have the profile design "bar" that tightens itself to the clip wrapped around the extension but after riding for a some time I find that bracket can start to rotate and get loose.

I am very interested in your Bar fly but would really love a TT version for my Speed Concept as I don't have a great way to mount it right now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next