Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ne1 use a Selle SMP saddle on Tri bike?
Quote | Reply
I have an adamo ism racing 2 saddle that I find uncomfortable and have a selle smp evolution on my road bike that I love. Does anyone use a selle smp on their tri bike?

Is it comfortable in the aero position?
Also, which model is preferred for the tri bike? Evolution or something with less padding etc...
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ne1 use a Selle SMP saddle on Tri bike? [RyanM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have it already, why don't you just try it?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use the SMP Evo on both my tri bike and road bike. there is a very slight difference in overall pitch, naturally, but you'll have to experiment a bit to get the fit right.
otherwise, i find them to be quite comfortable.

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Selle SMP Glider (slight padding - went full IM with it) as well as the SMP *full carbon* saddle. I've raced the unpadded full carbon in HIM with zero issues or discomfort. I find the relief in the middle as well as the ergo design to be fantastic for tri bike fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much ditto on what everyone else said:
1. It takes quite a bit of fussing to get the pitch just right---its different than on the road bike.
2. It also depends on which saddle you use--I ride the Pro on my road bike, but can't use it on a tri bike as the back 1/3 of the saddle just rides wrong (sweeps up or so it seems).
3. The all-carbon saddle---for me it was awesome, for exactly 2 1/2 hours. At 3 hours it was a torture device.
4. For bigger guys, I think the SMP is the best saddle on the market. It allows a more personal fit than anything else out there. Admitedly weird looking though.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Ne1 use a Selle SMP saddle on Tri bike? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
Pretty much ditto on what everyone else said:

4. For bigger guys, I think the SMP is the best saddle on the market. It allows a more personal fit than anything else out there. Admitedly weird looking though.

Im using the bottom end TRKMAN. whats the biggest comfort change in moving up a level or two?

-------------------------------------
You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Ne1 use a Selle SMP saddle on Tri bike? [techknowgn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, the advantage of the SMP is simply that it comes in varying widths, so depending on how large you are (or how wide your tailbones are would be a more accurate statement) you can find the size that fits you the best.

The lower end models are wide, but have A LOT of padding. Some people like that, some don't. For me, for road races/crits or hard/short time trials, I find that having a lot of padding causes it to pinch a bit in the cutout, resulting in welts in the taint region....mainly from riding on/near the rivet. That doesn't happen (as much) with the less padded saddles.....but again, its a trade-off in overall comfort. I've found, if you are riding 3-4x a week, that within 2-3 weeks from starting from scratch, that if properly setup, your tailbone region will toughen up & you shouldn't have any problems. If you are riding on your taint, no matter how you set it up it will eventually hurt.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
I've found, if you are riding 3-4x a week, that within 2-3 weeks from starting from scratch, that if properly setup, your tailbone region will toughen up & you shouldn't have any problems. If you are riding on your taint, no matter how you set it up it will eventually hurt.

Thanks and excellent point. A teammate sent me an Adamo Racing to try out (the original not the II) and Im giving that a go today to see what I think. I might be too wide. I think my perfect saddle is wider on the sit bones but very narrow in the nose with a cutout in the middle.

-------------------------------------
You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started with SMP Pro but found it rubbed a bit where leg attached to my body, so I bought the Glider the following year and find it works well. I use it on my last two tri bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ne1 use a Selle SMP saddle on Tri bike? [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most bike shops that sell the SMP have a great demo program (they are given 1-3 demo saddles in each size by SMP) & you can try before you buy.

I do wish all the SMPs were just a bit narrower in the nose, but then again I ride a bit knock-kneed so there isn't too much I can do about it no matter what the saddle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden an SMP on 3 IM etc.
I was an "early adopter". It never felt really super comfy, but it had a way of making itself totally forgotten after 40km or so. The same saddle was great on my road bike and TT bike. Just slam it foward on the TT bike :)
I also found it to be the most "fit tolerant" in position and in pitch: more than once it got knocked back by a combination of potholes, nose ridding and lubricating sweat/water, and I'd be "these armrests are weird" and shift my hand position back... Only to find, in the paddock after the finish, that the saddle had slid all the way back... And it's a looong way back on an SMP.

Now, after 5 years, and having outlived my first two IM bikes, the foam is crushed and it needs replacement. But I bought my "Strike Pro" for about 90 euros (and I thought that was expensive) now an equivalent model retails for 180 euros. So SMP has priced themselves out of my possibilities.

Right now, I am experimenting with a Fisik Tri2, that works wonders on my road bike, and god is that thing pitch sensitive on the TT bike... And it does not have a hole to easily access the pitch Allen bolt from the top on my Felt DA...

http://brokeniron.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: gildasd: Mar 6, 12 13:15
Quote Reply
Re: Ne1 use a Selle SMP saddle on Tri bike? [gildasd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ebay. There are lots of people who buy them, use them for a month, and then get rid of them b/c they didn't fit or were tired of the ridicule from the peanut gallery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I first tried a SMP (I use them on my roadie bikes) and felt the lip of the saddle dug in too much and actually went the adamo way with the wider contact area of the arms. Very happy camper :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried it. The sites I feel safe about buying from (.be fr eu) have loads of the crappy entry model (that I have on my winter bike) and the models I have interest in are only 10 to 20 euros cheaper than new in the shop. Pointless.

I can have complete second hand track bike AND new tires for it at that price in Belgium. Rather buy that :)

G

http://brokeniron.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply