Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is worth the wait. You will love it when you get it. I can only imagine how fast it will be with some HED3s or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NewbieTri100 wrote:
K_Man wrote:
I placed a special order for a Comp Rival through my LBS in December.

When I placed my order, the LBS said the bike would arrive by February at the latest.

Today the LBS said my bike will not arrive until April.

According to the LBS, Specialized was having some manufacturing issues that have now been worked out.

I'm disappointed that I won't have my bike for some of my early-season races.

K_Man

I sent a text to the Specialized rep regarding the delivery date of my Comp Rival. He now says mid March. My LBS says within the next few weeks which is consistent with the rep. Frankly, I don't think anyone knows for sure! I just want my bike before the HIM on April 1st. The clock is ticking....

Yes, this is frustrating. I have had the same experience. Originally it was mid Feb, then early March, now my LBS says end of March. My first race is in early April - hope he is right.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jesse@thr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too ordered a Comp Rival at the beginning of January. I went to my shop today and they told me late March to early April. I have a big race on April 1st and I am really not that happy right now that I probably won't have a tri bike for that race.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Just wanted to post a picture of my new Shiv out enjoying the sun for the first time...!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Pickles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I got mine through VO2 as well; hope yours comes in time for that race. You'll love it!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word on the Shiv Pros in Canada? Still waiting on my frameset!!

D
quickguru wrote:
I'm still waiting my Shiv Pro XL. I'm from Canada.

Do you think it's normal?

----------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [wpg_wild_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too :(
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all this Shiv talk, it made me wonder...

Is the Shiv going to be the next "everyone has one" bike?

I bought mine. I love it. But, I don't want to see them at every race and training ride.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [IVcoops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they might. I live in a small city of about 100,000 people and I know of at least 6 that are already on the roads here, plus several more that will be soon. I think they might take a big chunk out of the Cervelo market share.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark,

has the shiv been tested in the tunnel with different bottle options (aero vs. round vs. none) in the seat tube?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [IVcoops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real question is when are going to see a McLaren Shiv?!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the McLaren Venge weights are any indication of what the McLaren shiv would indicate, I say pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not all about the weights, it's about the carbon layup as well. The main reason the production McLaren Venge's are weighing more is due to the neon red paint. I believe on the tour bikes these were decals. There's 100 grams right there. It would be very interesting to know the inside numbers or tolerance allowed or expected on each frame? Is there a QC process to enforce this? I would think they would have to have a spec saying they allowed +/- 50grams for example off their nominal target weight. Granted I think they could have done more with the Venge, but if McLaren and Specialized could work on a full blown non UCI Shiv with aerodynamic fairings and push the envelope to a whole different level, that would be very interesting to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I know is that the S-Works Venges I've seen weights of are lighter than the McLaren Venges I've seen weights of. And both are still heavier than the SLC-SL that was released about 6 years ago. Arguing over a paintless bike is pointless; weigh it as it arrives.

And as for layup:
"McLaren’s goal was to get the same stiffness of the S-Works Venge and aerodynamic benefits, but at a lower weight."
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the carbon layup was suppose to increase stiffness by 10% as well, and was "suppose" to reduce the weight by 10%. We know that the weight values have not been coming in lower and in most cases heavier than a normal S-WORKS. Not sure how true this is, but I had also read the following, "The normal S-Works Venge frame takes about 15-20 hours to make in labour. The McLaren frame takes upto 10 times that at 150-160 hours in carbon layup and optimization as well as frame finish and painting."
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of running a disc or possibly wheel covers on the back of my Shiv. Does anyone know if there are any discs that will not work with the Shiv due to clearance issues? What about wheel covers? Also, will the flat Renn discs work well with the Shiv frame design? I am under the impression that flat discs work well when the frame acts as a fairing for the rear wheel as is the case with the Shiv.
Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Pickles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pickles wrote:
I too ordered a Comp Rival at the beginning of January. I went to my shop today and they told me late March to early April. I have a big race on April 1st and I am really not that happy right now that I probably won't have a tri bike for that race.
I picked up my Shiv Comp Rival today in Delaware USA - Thanks Specialized!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jesse@thr wrote:
Pickles wrote:

Pics or it didn't happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my Shiv Comp Rival, picked it up yesterday!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Philosoraptor wrote:
jesse@thr wrote:
Pickles wrote:

Here ya go... looks damn fast - just gotta keep working the engine...

Last edited by: jesse@thr: Mar 4, 12 18:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jesse@thr wrote:
Philosoraptor wrote:
jesse@thr wrote:
Pickles wrote:

Nice! Is that stinger a C2 and if so how does it fit in the stays? A C2 Jet is on my shortlist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Philosoraptor wrote:
jesse@thr wrote:
Philosoraptor wrote:
jesse@thr wrote:
Pickles wrote:

Nice! Is that stinger a C2 and if so how does it fit in the stays? A C2 Jet is on my shortlist.

Yes, 2012 Flame Rouge C2 platform - going all in on the wheels this year. No problem at all with the stays, but it seems the brakes will need to be adjusted when switching between training and racing tires.

With only a short 10 mile ride in before it got dark, here are my first impressions - I'd like to hear what others are thinking...

+ the bike fits me like a glove while riding - LBS had plenty of options to really tune the fit and I've probably done over 20k miles of riding on my last TT bike, so I knew what I wanted
+ brakes work very well
+ power transfer was solid
+ It was very windy when riding and the side wind was not a factor on the frame (I was using the stock wheels on the ride)
+ handles well on turns
- not a great climber or a super quick starter, but not terrible either - at 20.8 lbs (with standard speedplay zero pedals and empty hydration pack and standard wheelset - 1.4 pounds lighter with HED wheelset) - but it is a TT bike afterall and I wasn't really expecting much in these areas
- changing out race tires with these brakes seems like it will be a pain, but perhaps the barrel adjuster will give me enough play
+ paint job is really cool
+ shifting is fine

Unfortunately, my legs were shot from a 4 hour training trail RUN the day before, so I didn't get a real sense for how fast this bad boy will go, but I did give it a go a few times and was impressed with my comfort level at top speed even with the stock wheels - can't wait to take it out on a TT test ride.
Last edited by: jesse@thr: Mar 5, 12 16:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done, that could be the first time I've ever seen the arm rests higher than the seat...

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks jesse@thr for your initial impression. I'd be interested to hear more feedback like this. Now that you guys are starting to get some time in the saddle, is the shiv living up to your expectations, how does it compare to some of your other bikes. How do you guys feel this bike will do on a course with a lot of rolling hills (e.g., Kansas 70.3, Branson 70.3 etc.?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [chamblin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chamblin wrote:
Thanks jesse@thr for your initial impression. I'd be interested to hear more feedback like this. Now that you guys are starting to get some time in the saddle, is the shiv living up to your expectations, how does it compare to some of your other bikes. How do you guys feel this bike will do on a course with a lot of rolling hills (e.g., Kansas 70.3, Branson 70.3 etc.?

Thanks!

Getting it to climb takes some getting used to. It actually doesn't seem a great deal slower than my road bike up hills but you really seem to need to muscle it, especially in the front end, to get it to go. This is my first TT bike so it is hard for me to describe but I am guessing that the extra effort you need to put into the front of the bike is mostly due to the lack of stiffness in the bars relative to road bars. I would also describe the feeling from the back of the bike as less stable. I am guessing that this is due to the lack of stiffness in the stays relative to my road bike. The feel of climbing when seated is actually not all that different to my road bike really. I should note that my road bike is a Cannondale CAAD10 and is a really great climber so this comparison is pretty unfair.
Quote Reply

Prev Next