Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
jmh wrote:
The small hole and rigid routing are the two big benefits of something like this. I'm not sure why Cervelo does not move to the ICS on the P2/P3 like they did on the S2.

funding a pro bike team, funding the s5, funding the p4, funding the p5

all took precedence over redoing the p3 and p2 assembly lines for 5g of drag or so I presume =)

Jack - are you saying this mod might only be worth 5g of drag or so?

Hmmm......this might be more effective with a few mods than the 2 loose jagwire ferrules that TriRig used.
The holes that are req'd. to be drilled would be slightly smaller too.
The cable end will stick up from the top tube but the shifter cable housings can plug right into it, less noticeable.
One problem is to figure out the spacing of the two holes for this..............without the top tube cracking later between the two new holes (that would not be good).

Maybe I'll try to do this mod on a round carbon spacer that I have lying around before pulling the trigger on my P2.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could use these. I think it would give you a bit better angle going into the down tube.

Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [antlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would it be worth taking the toptube down to bare carbon and epoxying on a metal plate shaped to sit flush? Then drilling through that?
Would seem to help in reducing any stress concentration round the holes....
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [carlosferreiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of doing it this way too .. my concern is not particularly the stress in the area but the fact that the cable is going to move around a bit while steering. Unless the cable stop is bonded in or there is some rubber grommet, there may be some abrasion over time, which would lead to delamination.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [carlosferreiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be a good way to do it.

Stress at the edge of the hole is about 3 x what it would be normally therefore anything that could be done to reduce stress would be good.

Cheers

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bonesbrigade wrote:
Jack - are you saying this mod might only be worth 5g of drag or so?

wild ass guess

you could probably do a little math and get a better guess

but I bet its around there

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [ilove2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since my back is so bad right now and I can not swim, ride or run I thought the next best thing was to grab a beer, drill and get to work in the garage. The last pic is just a dry run of the cabling to see how it worked and it is amazingly smooth. I was actually surprised when I ran the cable that it just popped out the hole near the BB on the first try. That alone was worth another beer.

Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet!

BMANX which part did you use for this. I'm gonna jump in and attempt it myself.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [Steve_Davidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve_Davidson wrote:
Stress at the edge of the hole is about 3 x what it would be normally therefore anything that could be done to reduce stress would be good.

In an elastic material this is true. For this type of composite it is more like 1.5 or so. Variable depending on the layup, so better to be conservative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Care to give any insight of your process of doing this? Looks great!
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need two of these and a drill/bits. http://www.google.com/...&ved=0CC0Q8gIwAg

When I did mine, drilling the first hole with a small bit took a couple minutes, to make sure it was level and didn't split the carbon. After that, when moving to larger bits, the drill grabs on pretty easily, so go to the next bit size up, one by one until the cable stop slides in. I put some vinyl sticker strips that matches my bike over the cut holes, then put smaller holes in the vinyl and pushed the stops through. Once you measure correctly, so the holes don't overlap, etc., it is easy. Having a bike shop run the cables and some other stuff, so we'll see today if they are able to get them through. Definitely get some odd looks from mechanics though.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [kimosobbi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. Definitely update on how shifting works, i was thinking of using one of the inserts with the flexible nokon looking cables so that there wasn't such a tight bend in the cable at the insert. Someone posted a link to them in here further up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it occured to me yesterday as I was riding my 2009 S2 that I could use those little stops on my P2 and avoid the ICS stops that were the original design for my S2. In essence, update my S2 to the cable routing desing of the newer S2's.

Cabling into the ICS is a massive PIA.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some issues trying to get my rear brake cable to run along the same route as the shifter cables, like how it is pictured in the Tririg shots. Brake is sticking unless the brake cable is ran under stem and in front of head tube. Ideally it would run to the right of the stem and into the bar. Doesn't seem like there is any large difference between the two, but mechanic said that was causing the brake to stick. Same problem occurred before I modified it, where the only way to get the brake lever to release is by manually popping the rear brake open. Any thoughts? I am convinced it is the cable housing, and mechanic didn't replace it I don't think.

The second issue, purely aesthetic, is the height of the shifter cables. Any ideas on cutting them shorter to run tighter above the stem, or is the housing just too stiff to where it would cause shifting issues? Other than that, everything is smooth.

Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [ilove2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

We recently installed a Ultegra di2 TT group-set (using Dura Ace shift/brake levers) to a std P3 frameset (this one was 650c)

and i took some photos that may help people with doing their own...

http://www.corrycycles.com.au/...ustom-di2-conversion

Total cost of bike to the customer was $5000 AUD

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kimosobbi wrote:
The second issue, purely aesthetic, is the height of the shifter cables. Any ideas on cutting them shorter to run tighter above the stem, or is the housing just too stiff to where it would cause shifting issues? Other than that, everything is smooth.

I would probably chop off about 1/3 of that cable running from the extensions to the top tube... that is WAY too much cable and is not only defeating the purpose of the mod (CdA reduction), but probably harming shifting as well, since it creates more cable bend than if you shortened the cables.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done this on a cannondale slice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your cable housing going all the way through to the BB or does it stop where it enters the frame?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It must be all the way through to the BB as its not possible to end the outer at the top tube
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [CorryCycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was thinking too and it makes sense but someone linked to some housing stops that lead me to think otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [CorryCycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone confirm that this mod can be done on a P2? Is the construction of the TT/HT/DT junction the same on the P2 as the P3?

I've got the Jagwire cable stops (# CHA056) from another project and I'm itching to try it. I'm thinking about bonding a short length of housing the end of the cable stops to rout the cable around the bend inside the frame. A few inches should be enough to clear the bend. I think this is preferable to running full cable liner (like the TriRig mod), which would add more cable drag. Any problems with this idea?

ETA: Also, cable housing wouldn't wear out nearly as quickly as liner. I'd be worried about the cable sawing it's way through the liner and into the carbon.

I bought the frame used, so no concern about voiding the warranty!

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Last edited by: endorphin: Apr 19, 13 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [endorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endorphin wrote:
I'd be worried about the cable sawing it's way through the liner and into the carbon.

That's was I was concerned about. I'm unable to see the video while at work so I don't know how they did it.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [endorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be trying it on a P2 soon, will keep ya posted.

endorphin wrote:
Can anyone confirm that this mod can be done on a P2? Is the construction of the TT/HT/DT junction the same on the P2 as the P3?

I've got the Jagwire cable stops (# CHA056) from another project and I'm itching to try it. I'm thinking about bonding a short length of housing the end of the cable stops to rout the cable around the bend inside the frame. A few inches should be enough to clear the bend. I think this is preferable to running full cable liner (like the TriRig mod), which would add more cable drag. Any problems with this idea?

ETA: Also, cable housing wouldn't wear out nearly as quickly as liner. I'd be worried about the cable sawing it's way through the liner and into the carbon.

I bought the frame used, so no concern about voiding the warranty!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply

Prev Next