Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help with a disruptive kid on my team - UPDATE [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See update at the end of my original post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, would have been nice if they told you from the start.

But now that you know it should be "easy" to handle.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
I coach my daugther's soccer teams. (5 and 6 year olds). Our team had their 2nd practice today (I was not at the first practice, my assistant ran it for me).
I was told after that practice that one of the girls "had a rough day", but didn't really think much of it.
Today she showed up and seemed great. Good introductions. Seemed excited to kick the ball back and forth.
Then when I lined the kids up to do a dribbling drill, she lost it. Screaming, crying, yelling "It's too hard". She hung out on the sideline with her dad.
This pretty much lasted the entire hour. I tried to encourage her to come join us. I asked her to help me coach. Anytime that there was running involved, she melted down. It was a little disruptive to the other 6 girls on the field and I didn't want them to have to deal with a screaming kid the entire time.

I am a pretty patient dude and have had kids that need a little help in the "listening and paying attention" department (usually because I am doing something boring).
I suppose it could be autism or something, but I have been around quite a few kids with autism and this seemed a little different. She was very talkative and seemed engaged at the beginning and the end.
She was also pretty athletic (for a 5 year old). She kicked the heck out of the ball. When we practiced throw-ins, she chucked it pretty good.
They dad just said to me 'She gets a little frustrated sometimes." They paid for her to play and I want her to have a good time (My goal each year in coaching is that the kids want to play again the following year. If they think it's fun, they will come back)

I'm just a volunteer dad. I don't have any training on how to deal with these types of situations.

Any advice?

EDIT UPDATE- The mom approached me at our game today and told me that she as Autism/Aspbergers. She get's scared and nervous at new situations but is highly intelligent (IE - she knows all stars and planets. She reads the news on a Kindle. She is in Kindergarten.) She played a few minutes today. Whenever it was our turn to kickoff, I walked her out to the center (holding her hand). She kicked the ball and ran off the field to her mom and dad. I am going to work my hardest to make sure she has a good time this year.[/quote]

You are a good person. I'm glad there are folks like you coaching.

Spot

Quote | Reply
No suggestions, but good luck to you this season. That's quite the challenge, but it's probably also very good for the other girls to meet someone with autistim/aspergers before they can attach too much stigma.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply

Prev Next