Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Car for Triathletes?
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for a used car and I want to consult the wisdom that is slowtwitch. What is the best car for triathletes?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless it's changed from last week or last month.... you could search this one easily. This topic is rehashed almost as often as Lance, the best aero wheels, or your seat being too high....

I like Audi wagons, but that's what our family uses.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, at least one thread per month on this topic for the 8 years I've been on ST!
Double cab pickup truck with long bed and a camper shell that's taller than the passenger cabin. Wheel bikes in upright, throw stinky workout clothes in the back without stinking out everyone, and hose the back out when dirty. And room for 5 inside the passenger cabin. Case closed.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't argue this one, miss my Lariat.

A mini van isn't bad either.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 Minivans. Affordable, drivable, and useful outside triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to say Subaru Outback, but now (and with gas prices set to rise again), I vote VW Jetta SportWagen TDI. Plenty of room for a fully assembled bike in the back with the rear seats flipped down if you're traveling alone, and with a roof rack there's a ton of room.

Diesel is a little more expensive, but when you get 40mpg in a pretty large station wagon it's not such a bad deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Range Rover or LR4. I have the LR4 but my buddy has the RR. All the seats fold flat in the back flush against the ground, or you can get tow-hitch-mounted bike racks for the back. The interior is large enough that you can toss your bike back there and not worry about it being easily stolen.

I prefer the LR4 personally because of the clamshell rear hatch. You have the top 2/3 of the hatch open upwards and the bottom opens like the tailgate on a pickup truck. Makes for an extremely convenient place to sit down and put on your cycling shoes and gear up for a good ride. Or to change to running shoes while you're stashing your bike in the back for a brick.

If you're into hiking and outdoorsy stuff aside from tri, plenty of space for all your gear in the back and the off road capabilities of either truck are completely unmatched. Great for horrible weather. In fact, last year during the snowstorms I was the only one able to get into the office for work while everyone else had to stay home.

And they seat 7.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any ideas for sub 10k budget for a used car?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [DrPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrPete wrote:
I used to say Subaru Outback, but now (and with gas prices set to rise again), I vote VW Jetta SportWagen TDI. Plenty of room for a fully assembled bike in the back with the rear seats flipped down if you're traveling alone, and with a roof rack there's a ton of room.

Diesel is a little more expensive, but when you get 40mpg in a pretty large station wagon it's not such a bad deal.

x2 I have the Jetta TDI 4door sedan. Getting 52 mpg combined. Wish I had the wagon but I can get my bike in the trunk of the sedan with the back seats down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:

Just what TriBodyboarder said, but make sure it has a lift and at least 35's - for under 10k - you just need to find an older one.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [creek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3 I have the sportwagen TDI in 6 speed manual. The trunk is big enough for 3 large labrador retrievers and when you fold down the seats the possibilities are ahem well plenty. I would think you could a used one for $22k-$24k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a 10k budget, I would be all over a used Subaru or maybe a Nissan Xterra 4x4. Both would be pretty awesome for the weather (the Subarus all share the same 4wd systems, which are awesome), but the Xterra would have a little more space while the Subaru would get better gas mileage. If you ever plan to be off road more than really basic stuff, get the Xterra. Otherwise, pick up a Subaru Outback or Impreza hatchback.

I suspect the Nissan would be a little more reliable, but I don't know enough to really speak to that.

You should be able to fit a bike in the back of either if you pull the wheels, so that's not an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [creek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
52? Really? I still haven't reached that, but I'm averaging about 40 these days. How many miles do you have on it? Mine just turned 20K so it should be breaking in slowly. I also don't exactly drive the speed limit, which I know plays in as well. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:
Perhaps a used Honda Fit or Scion xb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:
I am in the market for a used car and I want to consult the wisdom that is slowtwitch. What is the best car for triathletes?

This has been beaten to death a million times over.

If you like "hip and unusual" get an Element (I had one, they work great but feel kinda cheap)

If you want comfort go with a big truck and a cap - Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, etc

15 passenger vans work well...but you'll look like you work for the Y

Any station wagon will do - Audi/Mercedes are my person favs (E63, or S6 ;-) )

Other than that, if you can fit your bike than it will work...oh, the Honda FIT works well too

Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:

I needed a car that was a good commuter and would easily load a bike. Chose a Honda Fit and have been very happy with it. Used ones should be in that range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honda Element. Perfect for bikes. Roll right in without taking wheels off. The only bike that can't fit standing up with the wheel off is my 29er. Road and tri bikes are perfect fits. Don't need to worr about it getting dirty and if you live in the mountains or where it snows and you need 4x4, it's got it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toyota Highlander 4 cilinders
Best car to load / unload the trunk
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mercedes GL450
Make sure you get optional air conditioned seats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toyota Tacoma pickup with a shell on the back. Bikes fit inside, locked, with wheels on, 5 people, 5 bikes not in the wind, 20+mpg, sleep in it if needed.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1994 Toyota Camry Wagon with 225k Miles. You can throw you bike in with the wheels on and you don't have to worry about grease marks!

I'm actually looking at the new Mazda CX5 to replace my old Cam but with better gas milage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My current model (B8) Audi S4 Avant with roof racks. Fast, reasonable gas consumption, and heaps of room. Unfortunately you can't buy it in the US!

Quote | Reply
2013 Audi Allroad. They just started remaking them...

http://models.audiusa.com/allroad
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [DrPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've noticed that how (aggressively) you drive makes a big difference in the mileage.

Also I notice that in cold weather my mileage is a lot lower. During the summer/fall I was averaging 46-48. Now it's about 40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drive a Subaru wagon and love it, but a Honda Element would probably be pretty great too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next