Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cervelo p2 internal cable routing
Quote | Reply
Before I go tearing into this, I thought I'd see if its going to be a huge PITA.
I would like to swap out my aero extensions so I'll need to rewire the shifters. Am I getting into a mess of trouble here or do the cables find their way through the tubing fairly readily?
Quote Reply
Re: cervelo p2 internal cable routing [calsbeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start with the rear first. For some reason that worked better for me. Also make sure the cables are very straight. Slight curves messed me up. Once I got a new cable and started with the rear first, it went right down. Also, get a paperclip handy. You might need it to pull the cable out of the frame by the bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of all the Cervelos I've worked on (Dual, P2SL, P2, P3 and P4), the P2 seems to have the smallest cable exit holes on the downtube.

You may get lucky and the cables pop out after the first try.

If not... It could take a while. My advice is to fashion a hook out of a strong paperclip and use that to help fish out the cable at the downtube exit. You may need a flashlight and a third hand to get this done!
Last edited by: beston: Feb 23, 12 4:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An option would be to use dental floss. Remove the housing near the BB. Just before you remove the cable, attach the floss to the end & pull it through then tape the floss down near both frame exits. Re-attach the floss to the cable then insert it into the frame - use the other end to gently pull & guide the cable to the other exit. You'll get it on the first try.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Feb 23, 12 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: cervelo p2 internal cable routing [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the carbon frames I think it depends on the year. they bigged up the exit holes eventually, I believe

beston wrote:
Of all the Cervelos I've worked on (Dual, P2SL, P2, P3 and P4), the P2 seems to have the smallest cable exit holes on the downtube.

You may get lucky and the cables pop out after the first try.

If not... It could take a while. My advice is to fashion a hook out of a strong paperclip and use that to help fish out the cable at the downtube exit. You may need a flashlight and a third hand to get this done!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done lots of cabling jobs on lots of bikes... my P2C ('08) was one of the worst, although in the end it turned out fine. Pretty much just took a third beer and some extra swearing. Biggest problem was I somehow managed to 'swirl' the F cable across the R one threading it through the downtube the first time so it had to be pulled back out and re-done.

I also employed a section of the liner sleeve from an old MTB V-brake 'noodle' to house where the FD cable exits the base of the seat tube above the BB, as that hole seemed to be a bit of a sticking point.
Quote Reply
Re: cervelo p2 internal cable routing [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine was a 2010. I'd hate to see earlier versions!
Quote Reply
Re: cervelo p2 internal cable routing [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've done lots of cabling jobs on lots of bikes... my P2C ('08) was one of the worst, although in the end it turned out fine. Pretty much just took a third beer and some extra swearing. Biggest problem was I somehow managed to 'swirl' the F cable across the R one threading it through the downtube the first time so it had to be pulled back out and re-done.

x2.

I had the exact same experience. It only took about 20 minutes to actually swap the cables once I figured out what to do and took the old ones out, but it felt like a lot longer, especially after stabbing myself in the head with the point on the old Vision Tech brake levers (they were SHARP AS HELL until a year or two ago). The cable goes in easy at the top, but getting it out of the tiny hole under the BB is a nightmare without the right tools/technique. Getting it twisted is also a huge concern as this guy ^^ mentioned. I ended up using a massive Neo magnet (N45, 1" dia x 3/8" thick, axial) to hold the cable in the proper position as I fed it down the DTube. This worked fairly well.

PS....was there a thread about the old Vision brake levers? Seriously, those were dangerous. I ended up cutting small piecesof surgical tubing to put over mine. I know Vision was selling a product to fix the shortcomings of their original product, but I was morally opposed to paying to fix a problem they created (similar situation: the cases Apple sold to fix the reception issues on the Iphone).

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK..the first time I tried to do this on my P2 it was a goddamn nightmare..because I used the existing cables..the next time I did that I had brand new cables and I swear it was so easy it was like magic..just slip the cable down the the downtube (slowly..yes..it pleases the bike) and watch it poke right out..

Old cables: NIGHTMARE of some kind of Lovecraftian scope
New cables: as easy as falling out of bed.

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thread the cable all the way in........Straighten a wire hanger, cut off a section and make a hook in the end. Stick it up the downtube, hook the wire and gently pull it out. Pretty easy.

My S2 ('09) was a fookin' nightmare to cable. Small exit hole and lots of bladder material left in the DT from the molding process. My new P2 ('11) was a breeze in comparison. IN fact, I did not even need the hanger on one of the cables.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just swapped out my extensions this morning on my P2. I thought it was a piece of cake...no issues. Start to finish, I would say it took about a 1/2hr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I recabled my '09 P2 I used The Gore Ride-On sealed system. But pricey and don't need the sealed system but now that the Teflon sleeves are installed I can recable my bike in about 5 minutes :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply