Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [speed856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would totally wreck Captain Canada's training plan.
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
coloradoveto wrote:
I love it that the op is exploring his shifter options 24hrs after cutting off his thumb!! Slowtwitch Hall of Fame right there!

Seriously, I can't believe you are the first person to mention this. How HTFU is that? Awesome.
Joe it was only a thumb not like a arm or leg, I mean really ......;0)
Now this is HTFU'ing
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#3773197
OP i can feel your pain though. Bet the throbbing sucks when trying to fall asleep or relaxing. If not sorry I brought it up because you will probably get that now.

Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ofcourse the first things through my mind were how to shift. I race mountain bikes too and have been researching grip shift to take place of my thumb shifters there (which take a good bit of force).

I took two pics on my phone...i'll get them up in a sec
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool bandages off please ;0)

Quote | Reply
Hold on here.......................Original poster said left thumb!

Who needs a left thumb? I mean small ring? Not here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The top piece of intact skin was the only thing holding it together. After i cut it, it was dangling so i taped it on and got to the ER. The blood clotted in a way that kinda stuck it in place. The second pic is after they messed with it at kinda sat it back on.

Hopefully these work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

So, they ended up taking it completely off?
Last edited by: mac.0214: Feb 21, 12 19:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stubby that is awesome !! I just showed some fellow firefighters and they were like ewe......? Good luck on recovery and hope everything heals up as much as it can and gets back to normal. Keep us apprised.

Quote | Reply
You should be alright with your shifting. Maybe not for a few months, but as long as you didn't damage the interior of your hand, you'll be fine. I lost mine below the knuckle down to almost the palm and I have no problems shifting or anything.

Good luck with your recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [StateTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really no probs shifting? That's reassuring. Time will tell, though I may milk it with the wife to upgrade the bike :-)

Yes, they took it off. Said the vessels were so tiny there'd be no way to repair enough to ensure enough blood flow for life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a little graphic warning!

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the greatest post I have ever read on ST. I think I may have to quit... don't see how it can get better.
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
coloradoveto wrote:
I love it that the op is exploring his shifter options 24hrs after cutting off his thumb!! Slowtwitch Hall of Fame right there!

Seriously, I can't believe you are the first person to mention this. How HTFU is that? Awesome.

No shit. And such a nonchalant thread title...

"Yeah, so anyway, I was just trimming up my aerobar extensions with this here bandsaw, and the darn thing slips and there goes my thumb. Now I gotta see if the ER can rig a watertight dressing so I can make masters practice tomorrow morning."

If Apple could just figure out how to rig an iBeer auto-pay system, I'd buy you a cold one right now!
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Feb 21, 12 19:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya. It was torn off completely below the knuckle. They couldn't find the knuckle, but were able to find the tip. They replanted the tip so it's a bit short, but there's something. Not able to bend it and am limited to weather changes as well as having it hurt immensely from hitting it, but I have not had to alter anything regarding my shifting. What I have done though, is modified my gloves situation. Even in 90 degree weather it turns blue and is ice cold when I ride, so I always wear a winter riding glove to keep the circulation high.

It's definitely an injury worth the rehab. I'm a classical musician as well so I was desperately in need of anything and everything they could do. I heard stories from people who rushed the recovery and now they can barely use their hand for griping things. After 9 month of therapy I am back to music and triathlons and besides a huge decrease in my music performance, I don't notice anything anymore. I've just figured out how to do things slightly different. I do shift my left bar end shifter with my index finger, not my thumb, but i don't leave the big ring much anyways so no frets!
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday...**GRAPHIC** [speed856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this mean things are going to be half as cool as you indicate?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
JoeO wrote:
coloradoveto wrote:

If Apple could just figure out how to rig an iBeer auto-pay system, I'd buy you a cold one right now!

Amen to that!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
JoeO wrote:
coloradoveto wrote:

No shit. And such a nonchalant thread title...

"Yeah, so anyway, I was just trimming up my aerobar extensions with this here bandsaw, and the darn thing slips and there goes my thumb. Now I gotta see if the ER can rig a watertight dressing so I can make masters practice tomorrow morning."

And the OP will have to shorten the aero bar too, to get the thumb stub to be able to reach!

(don't ya love the caring, concerned people here on ST? It IS all about the bike! LOL)

FWIW, after I had my bone graft and arterial transplant in my wrist, I asked for a waterproof cast so I could still cycle commute to work, THEN get to swim squad. Apparently the look on the surgeons face meant no swimming or riding for a while. Pussy! :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
That would totally wreck Captain Canada's training plan.

Hahaha... classic!

And ref. the original post, yep, that was my first thought as well, there's focus and priority for you, a post the day after the accident!

Good to hear you don't limit yourself to just road riding. Heal up, recover well, and peruse the latest offering from sram for your mountain bike gear changing if that's what you were after...

http://www.bikerumor.com/...speed-gets-official/

Best to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hacking off a thumb on a Band saw.. Ouch those things are suppose to be one of the safest power tools in the shop.

What happened?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must be that time of year... I cut off the tip of my index finger on a table saw about 6 weeks ago. I'm shocked at how well it is mending. I don't want to trivialize your injury, but you might be surprised how well you will be able to shift with your modified thumb. Give it time before you start swapping out your shifters.

-

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Classic HTFU.

Are you back training yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took a quick glance at your pictures and got lightheaded. I gotta say, you are one bad ass dude! Good luck with whatever it takes to adjust - I can't imagine being without any of my digits.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday...**GRAPHIC** [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not training yet, but I got the bike set up on the trainer. Pain was worse last night than ever even though they gave me percocet, so sleep never happened. Probably be a while before I risk it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude post pics of the stub ;0) and take down the warning sign. We need to. Harden (like you) more peeps up on this site :0)

Quote | Reply
i cut off the end of my right thumb on a table saw about 15 years ago. clean cut, right through. re-attachment failed, they amputed down to the first (from the tip) knuckle.

i have never had any issues operating any shifters on any of my bikes, including the campy bar ends on my tri bike(s).

i actually have more or less no issues with it at all except:

1. it does get cold much more easily than any other digits.
  2. top shirt buttons are still a killer to set up, and the button down buttons are impossible.

Quote Reply

Prev Next