Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So I cut my thumb off NEW THUMB PIC!!!
Quote | Reply
No really. I lost my left thumb at the knuckle yesterday in a freak accident with a band saw...

I'm exploring my shifter options as i'm not really sure i'll be able to push my current bar end shifter (basic 9 speed 105 bar-end on the end of my aerobars which are profile cobra t2). Are there any particular set-ups that require less effort anyone can think of?

I'm hoping to find a solution without the price of electric shifting, which ofcourse would be ideal...
Last edited by: speed856: Mar 8, 12 14:15
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [speed856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A freak accident with a bandsaw does more than cut your thumb off, that's a normal accident.

As for options, my SRAM front shifter is extremely easy to use without the thumb, I've got the tension on mine set so I can rest it between my index and middle finger and I can shift it up and down just fine using my knuckles.

Wow. Sorry about your accident. I don't know what, if any, insurance claims or issues might be involved, but perhaps you could incorporate the cost of Di2 into your claim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the old-school SRAM Grip shift. Is that around anymore? That was some great stuff. From a mechanic's point of view, that was the best to service. Only 3 moving parts. from an aero point of view, can't be all bad, other than a large-ish frontal area, nothing else sticking out in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vision Metrons don't need a thumb to shift.
Middle and/or ring finger pulls lever to pull chain up gears, index finger slides top housing back to drop chain back down.

Bummer about your thumb.
I just watched The Machinist. The dude who lost his thumb and had his big toe grafted on in place of it. he mentions, "... the chicks dig it..."

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vision Metron shifters?

If its the left thumb, just keep 'er in the big chainring.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if you turn an R2C shifter turn sideways and use your fingers?
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [kenpetruzzelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use the other hand to shift both front chain rings and rear cassette. My buddy had his left arm amputated at the elbow and still rides like a stud. It wasn't a freak accident, but getting blown up in Iraq.
Get a bandaid for yourself and keep riding. This does not really seem like that big of an issue.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
di2?
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [mudjumper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved my 8sp Grip Shift. I recall hearing there was a 9sp insert to replace the 8sp notched wheel inside, but never got one as I upgraded to 10sp instead and never heard of a 10sp insert.

I still have the 8sp and am putting it on a museum tri bike I'm slowly working on.

With no thumb (or only part of one) then a Di2 Ultegra may be needed?

Alternatively, just angle the aero bars so the left shifter is closer enough to the right shifter to use the right hand? I had a bone graft and arterial transplant in my left wrist about 3 years ago, and while my left hand was in a cast, I'd do exactly as I described. Now I'm weak in the left wrist, I still generally shift the left shifter with my right hand, even though it's a bit of a reach.

About the only power tool that I know of that is more dangerous than a band saw, is an angle grinder. I worked with the company safety officer on a project I was a services co-ordinator, and thanks to so many poor operators and near misses, we ended up banning the damned things from our site!

Not sure how much of a thumb the original poster has left, but I had a boss at a gas station I worked at years ago. He lost his left thumb in a fan belt and after it healed, he didn't really have any problems. He did have a small stub to work with tho. He worked on cars no real worries. The OP might find it's not actually a problem, after the healings done of course, adn get along just fine with the shifters he's got.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the bright side, you just shaved a few grams off your total weight. That saved you a couple grand for something carbon.

Sorry about your thumb.
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [GregRF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was going to say but you beat me to it :)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [rpeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rpeterson wrote:
A freak accident with a bandsaw does more than cut your thumb off, that's a normal accident.

i'm sure that made him feel better :/

-Jason
Quote | Reply
I love it that the op is exploring his shifter options 24hrs after cutting off his thumb!! Slowtwitch Hall of Fame right there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Why did you kick the shit out of the hitchiker?"

"I thought he was making fun of me."

Seriously though...sorry about your accident but it could have been a lot worse...I wouldn't be surprised if once everything heals up you won't have any troubles shifting with your current config. Good luck with a speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should change your ST name to Stubbie. Sorry no real imput but I think the guys gave you lots of good choices.

Quote | Reply
I'm also one who uses standard SRAM 900 TT shifters and shifts with the knuckles between my index and middle fingers. You've gotta have your extensions at just the right length ... so you're gripping the shifter bodies right at the base of your fingers.

Good luck with it. I'm also loving it that you just cut your thumb off and one of your key concerns is how you're going to continue on with passion. I'm sure you're gonna be fine and will be clear of this soon.
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [coloradoveto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coloradoveto wrote:
I love it that the op is exploring his shifter options 24hrs after cutting off his thumb!! Slowtwitch Hall of Fame right there!

seriously!

-Jason
Quote | Reply
Hey mate,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Last March I was in a freak accident and my thumb was torn off below the knuckle. I've had surgery and no longer have a working thumb in the traditional sense, but through rehab I have been able to learn how to do everything I once was able to do prior to the accident. I wouldn't recommend going out and purchasing electronic shifters and such yet. Give it time and go through therapy. I was surprised how much I am able to do since the accident, especially considering how important your thumb can be.

Good luck with your recovery. And if you happen to be from Michigan let me know. I highly recommend both the hand surgeon and the hand rehabilitation center I went to.

Zach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coloradoveto wrote:

Seriously, I can't believe you are the first person to mention this. How HTFU is that? Awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you could get these guys to do something for you:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...i2-equipped-hardtail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey did anyone hear about the triathlete on ST who cut off his thumb with a band saw?
Last edited by: cyclops: Feb 21, 12 18:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coloradoveto wrote:

...and not only that, but the very next day! True triathlete right there.

Edit: Oh wait, you already pointed that out. Doh!!!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Last edited by: JM3: Feb 21, 12 18:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pic or it didn't happen...
Quote Reply
Re: So I cut my thumb off yesterday... [mac.0214] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mac.0214 wrote:
Pic or it didn't happen...

I didnt want to be the one to say it, but... I wanna see some gnarly pics!
Quote Reply

Prev Next