Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com)
Quote | Reply
I know Nick over at TriRig.com is working hard on his Omega brake. I love to see independent people working to change the industry.

I was browsing through his photos and saw the custom internal cable routing he did on the p3.

Do you think drilling on the top tube (aprox a few centimeters behind the hole for the steer tube) will hurt the frame? Is this custom job just for show?

Last edited by: ilove2tri: Feb 14, 12 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [ilove2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he has said he doesn't recommend doing this and doesn't want to share the details. I assume because of liability concerns. It looks great though and I was very curious when I saw it.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [TUEFELHUNDEN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
while not quite as good as that solution, with just smart cable routing and zip ties you can keep the cables out of direct wind (at low yaw anyway)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I talked with Nick about this yesterday. He said he'd received a lot of feedback regarding this and that he'd actually contacted Cervelo about it. There is a *chance* he'll give more details about the process soon. It does void the warranty, obviously.
Last edited by: lmicah3: Feb 14, 12 10:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am working on this right now on my SLC but like Nick I will not share how it was done. Just need some parts to show up and once they are here and I post some pics.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
while not quite as good as that solution, with just smart cable routing and zip ties you can keep the cables out of direct wind (at low yaw anyway)

Jack, do you have a picture from the side of the set up?

Thanks - Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is a great idea if you don't value having front teeth or scars on your face.

Drilling holes in anything causes stress concentration. This area would be one of the areas on a bike that would be subjected to high compression loads. You might be ok and you might not but why would you risk it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shifter housings look pretty cool, but that rear brake housing looks like it enters the frame stop at an awful sharp angle... at least on my P2 the rear modulation/feel is bad enough already as it routs through the base bar; I doubt the lever would even return at all if I added that kink to the cable.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not handy, but basically shifter cables go up over the base bar, along stem, the straight down into the frame. zip tie keeps them pulled in.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet, so they aren't too far above the stem then? And the brake just goes normally I assume...

I'll play around and figure it out. Definitely needs to be better than I have them set up right now.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [lmicah3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmicah3 wrote:
I talked with Nick about this yesterday. He said he'd received a lot of feedback regarding this and that he'd actually contacted Cervelo about it. There is a *chance* he'll give more details about the process soon. It does void the warranty, obviously.

I'm not 100% sure the above warranty statement is correct. I have seen this build too, and called about it as well. I was interested in Di2 on a P3 and was concerned about the routing scheme because it was not in the original design.

A GENTLEMAN AT CERVELO, told me that they had heard of it being done, and that it would require drilling some small holes, but that if done by a Cervelo dealer/approved warranty center/repair shop/whatever you want to call it, that the warranty would stay in tact.

They went on to say that the main concern was not the holes in the frame themselves, so much as it might be the futility of the holes. Reason they gave was that when the carbon lay-up is kicking off in the molding process/cooking process, the resin needs to and does flow. In may be that it flows "inconveniently" and "seals up" or otherwise obstructs the potential pathways of the cables that need to be routed. He said it would vary from frame to frame, and the only way to know was to drill baby drill and find out. He was specifically concerned about the chainstays.

Anyway, I love the P3, hate the look of the P4 and had (at the time) basically decided to go P3 with a Di2 build (because I had that group already, but no bike). When I went to visit my local Cervelo dealers, I did not get the sense of confidence that I would need to have in order to trust them to go drilling holes in my dream bike. The only builds I saw that I would trust were the one shown here, and another (I believe) in either CA or AZ. I live in Florida, so scratch that idea.

So, here I am, no (new) bike yet, race season upon me, waiting for my shot at a P5 frameset that will take the Di2 without batting an eye.

"What do you mean your running shoes don't match your bike?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah until I get a center pull brake that option is out. But thanks for the advice!

Brent

Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [OCD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, thanks for the heads up on that. The guys at my local shop said there is no way they'd do this for me, granted they are not a Cervelo dealer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know for sure that on the SLC-SL that area behind the headtube is really thick.

Pretty sure you can just drill 2 holes like that and glue this in the the bb area right before the cable comes out:

http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...ction&key=CS0203

Alternatively it would be even easier if there was a double cable stop like that with a hole in the middle, could just replace the cable stop under the BB with it ...

maybe take a dremel/drill to the center of this one:

http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...ction&key=CS1302

I've always been too much of a wuss to try this sort of thing :) I also don't know how thick it is behind the headtube on a p3 ... if I was cervelo I wouldn't warranty a frame that was drilled there.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [daryl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daryl1 wrote:
I know for sure that on the SLC-SL that area behind the headtube is really thick.

Pretty sure you can just drill 2 holes like that and glue this in the the bb area right before the cable comes out:

http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...ction&key=CS0203

Alternatively it would be even easier if there was a double cable stop like that with a hole in the middle, could just replace the cable stop under the BB with it ...

maybe take a dremel/drill to the center of this one:

http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...ction&key=CS1302

I've always been too much of a wuss to try this sort of thing :) I also don't know how thick it is behind the headtube on a p3 ... if I was cervelo I wouldn't warranty a frame that was drilled there.

X2

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it s a very simple operation actually. A dremel or drill and taking your time is all it takes. I have done it on many frames and yes, it will void 100% your warranty with ANY company. would it be a issue, most likely, nop...it wont be.

I m myself riding a internally routed orbea ora bike. Took about 30minutes to do. Nothing very special about the way to do it but take your time and make the hole as small as possible. And yes, you never know what kind of interference you will meet when inside the frame!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think with this P3 mod, for the shift cables, are the housings running all the way down the downtube?

Because on a standard P3 they don't.

If the housings don't run all the way down the downtube here with this mod, where do you think he put in his cable stops?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't find anything at the moment, but I swear I've seen similar modding done on older S2s. Cervelo eventually changed the cable routing on that bike, but it did use the same downtube routing as seen on the P3 to begin with.

If you expand your search to include other older Cervelo models it may help trying to find out how safe/viable that is.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how Cervelo does it. I think if anyone is thinking of doing it you need to run it the same way as shown. I think this will allow for better shifting in the end.

Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
it s a very simple operation actually. A dremel or drill and taking your time is all it takes. I have done it on many frames and yes, it will void 100% your warranty with ANY company. would it be a issue, most likely, nop...it wont be.

!!!NOT TO BUST BALLS, but......

I did just go back and read the email response DIRECTLY from Cervelo customer support and it specifically addresses the questions "can it be done" YES; "will it involve drilling the frame" YES; "will warranty remain in tact" YES, IF DONE BY AUTHORIZED DEALER.

I press this issue because I am dying to see it done more so I can sign up to. My engine will never live up to the P5 (or any other superbike), but I do merit a P3, and I have the Di2 group and I want it internally routed and according to Cervelo it can be done, has been done, and would be protected under warranty if done by an authorized dealer.

Because Cervelo is AWESOME, and they TOTALLY ADDRESSED my concerns, I really want to see this done by a true craftsman that also happens to deal Cervelo.... In the southeast.

I will tell you that I could post the note from their customer service guy, but his note kindly said "please don't post to any Internet forums (wonder which one he meant) as each response to their customers was designed to be unique to that inquiry. Out of respect, I obviously won't do it, but the spirit of what was described in the back and forth is described above accurately.

I hope someone can do it. There are other threads about it, that's how I saw the builds. They were gorgeous- just nowhere near home.

Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm familiar with how Cervelo does it. I was more curious how this specific mod was done.

Anyone know?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick at TriRig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to remember on Slowtwitch a totally tricked-out P2 someone had done with lots of internal cable routing. Although it had cantilever brakes, it was a very sweet ride. I've since tried to find it, but haven't had any luck. That would be a very aero-worthy ride!
Anyone else remember this jewell?
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick has said that he's checked with Cervelo and they are ok with him showing a how-to (with the obvious warnings about at your own risk, warrentee gone etc) and he'll put a video on the Tririg Facebook page at some time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next