Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips
Quote | Reply
I'm totally new to the 910xt and there seems to be so many features. I'm sure people have some great tips for making full use of the watches and even the Garmin Connect tracking website.

For example, I'm using the "goals" for street running and trail running to keep track of 2 different sets of running shoes mileage on Garmin connect.

Thx...
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are things I do with my 310xt that may not be typical.

There is a setting somewhere to keep the light always on. Very useful when on the trainer watching a movie with the lights off but still needing to keep an eye on power.

Also with my Mac I have setup 2 profiles. When I train with the watch I start ANT+ from my profile and it goes in my connect.garmin.com account. When my wife uses her profile it goes into her account. The trick is to remember to close ANT+ after so it does not run twice or run from the wrong account/profile. Also I have checked "delete from device after upload" so we don't get each other's trainings in our logs.

---

Warning: Username does not in any way apply to triathlon past and future performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. keep light on
2. reset after every workout
3. don't use Garmin Connect

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [d-elvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just discovered 1. Keep the light on. Very helpful when doing outdoor intervals during the winter months when it gets dark here at 5.00. If you don't use Garmin Connect, what do you use? Thanks. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [barrel_o_monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
barrel_o_monkey wrote:
Just discovered 1. Keep the light on. Very helpful when doing outdoor intervals during the winter months when it gets dark here at 5.00. If you don't use Garmin Connect, what do you use? Thanks. Cheers.

I use RunningAhead (http://www.runningahead.com) In addition to what Garmin Connect does, it also tracks your mileage on your shoes and bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I like alot after upgrading from my 305 to the 310xt is the vibrating function for intervals. Also making use of virtual partner is pretty darn awesome for running especially. If you set your intervals up the same each time with virtual partner and run the same place, it acts almost like a powermeter, in a sense, to see how much more or less ground you cover for a set amount of time and intervals.

Plus when you plug in to garmin connect, you can see which intervals you either died on or took it too easy on compared to your best. I love the vibration feedback for heartrate zones, intervals, and power! Reason being is I run, and bike with music and can't hear audible beeps like from the 305.

Another vote for the light always on feature. Sometimes with dark sunglasses, it's hard to read the display in random lighting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d-elvis wrote:
barrel_o_monkey wrote:

I use RunningAhead (http://www.runningahead.com) In addition to what Garmin Connect does, it also tracks your mileage on your shoes and bike.

I just purchased a the 310XT and haven't had a chance to look at Garmin Connect yet. It doesn't measure your mileage when using gps on the run or bike? Or are you talking about the footpod, ANT+ bike sensor?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [Furix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furix wrote:
d-elvis wrote:
barrel_o_monkey wrote:

I just purchased a the 310XT and haven't had a chance to look at Garmin Connect yet. It doesn't measure your mileage when using gps on the run or bike? Or are you talking about the footpod, ANT+ bike sensor?

I meant the actual miles (read wear) on your shoes and your bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To address the pace issues, value jumping around, set auto lap to smaller distances. I use 0.10 miles. This is as accurate as it gets for your instantaneous pace. Until this is fixed by the next update, that's what I'll be doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if your not having any "system" problems with your unit...DON'T do a software upgrade (when they release new versions) immediately. Wait a few weeks at least until you have time to see what the upgrade has done to ruin others units :) Garmin has a bit of a history fixing some things and causing new problems.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrainingPeaks is definitely leaps and bounds ahead of Garmin Connect (and every other software tool I have seen) in terms of tracking and managing your training. Garmin + TrainingPeaks has definitely made a huge difference in the way I approach run training.

Also has the ability to track multiple bikes and shoes without your workaround.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [TriSaidFred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is TP free or paid membership? I've put up with the limits of Garmin Connect since its free. Also heard of Strava.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
* At least in the 310xt you tap the power button to bring up the backlight brightness controls and tone it down to 20% or less, that's enough to see the info you need at night while being able to keep it on for long runs without having to re-charge it everytime you run.

* Noticed sometimes that I would turn it on when I was outside and it would sit on the initial Garmin screen that pops up for like 10 mins! I would have finished my quick stretch and be standing around like a wally waiting for the damn thing to kick into life, seems random as to why it does this, so I've taken to turning it on while I'm inside and when I get outside I tell it to keep searching for a signal at which point it usually kicks in pretty quickly

* Also noticed that if I turned it on and waited for the signal to lock, stretching in one place while I'm waiting and start running from that point the GPS position would sometimes be wrong in either the latitude/longitude (±50m sometimes!) I found that since I started turning it on from indoors, while I walk outside, because I'm moving around a bit while it's locking on, it seems to be much more accurate (presumably because the movement allows it to better deduce where I am?) even if it doesn't have the most accurate of signals. (Note: this probably applies more to people running in the city, when banked by high buildings)

* The garmin training center software has a "split pace" graph option so you can turn off the "lap every 1km" and still get that information if you like
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrainingPeaks has a free option with a more limited feature set and also a monthly subscription plan. You can create a free account and transfer some of your files over there to get a better sense of the functionality.

I also use Strava for the bike, but only really for the ability to compare my performance over certain climbs to other local riders. Also for exploring maps to put together new routes. IMO it's not really great for getting a big picture view of your training.

Hope it doesn't sound like I'm affiliated at all with either of these companies, as I am not. Just fans of both services.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [TriSaidFred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No fear about any self promotion, just sounds like you dig what they offer. Appreciate the insight. Cheers.

TriSaidFred wrote:
TrainingPeaks has a free option with a more limited feature set and also a monthly subscription plan. You can create a free account and transfer some of your files over there to get a better sense of the functionality.

I also use Strava for the bike, but only really for the ability to compare my performance over certain climbs to other local riders. Also for exploring maps to put together new routes. IMO it's not really great for getting a big picture view of your training.

Hope it doesn't sound like I'm affiliated at all with either of these companies, as I am not. Just fans of both services.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
barrel_o_monkey wrote:

RunningAhead.com and SportTracks.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Garmin 310xt/910xt tips [rj2501] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rj2501 wrote:
* At least in the 310xt you tap the power button to bring up the backlight brightness controls and tone it down to 20% or less, that's enough to see the info you need at night while being able to keep it on for long runs without having to re-charge it everytime you run.

* Noticed sometimes that I would turn it on when I was outside and it would sit on the initial Garmin screen that pops up for like 10 mins! I would have finished my quick stretch and be standing around like a wally waiting for the damn thing to kick into life, seems random as to why it does this, so I've taken to turning it on while I'm inside and when I get outside I tell it to keep searching for a signal at which point it usually kicks in pretty quickly

* Also noticed that if I turned it on and waited for the signal to lock, stretching in one place while I'm waiting and start running from that point the GPS position would sometimes be wrong in either the latitude/longitude (±50m sometimes!) I found that since I started turning it on from indoors, while I walk outside, because I'm moving around a bit while it's locking on, it seems to be much more accurate (presumably because the movement allows it to better deduce where I am?) even if it doesn't have the most accurate of signals. (Note: this probably applies more to people running in the city, when banked by high buildings)

* The garmin training center software has a "split pace" graph option so you can turn off the "lap every 1km" and still get that information if you like

You can also turn off the backlight with the power button which I was looking for since I don't need it. Sweet!!

Interesting tidbit on the satellite stuff. It definitely seems to be all over the place when it acquires as somedays it's immediate and others takes forever. I'll give this a try.

Love all the tips keep em coming. Also if anyone has tips for racing with these and wetsuit removal that would be nice as well. I'm not sure how I'm getting my wetsuit sleeve over the top of this monster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't race with my 310 yet, but try putting it under your swim cap on the back of your head so you can get sattelite reception while your swimming. I also read on the Garmin Forums that on the 310xt, some people where having a problem with one of the band pins popping out while they where wearing it and the watch ends up falling off. I've even read about this happeniing during a OWS and the guy watched it sink to the bottom after getting kicked.

I swapped out the original band for a velcro strap I bought at Target (10.00) that was suggested by other users. With this strap, if one pin pops out, the other side will still hold it onto the strap and it will not go flying off and sink to the bottom of the drink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d-elvis wrote:
barrel_o_monkey wrote:

I use Sportstracks. I dont like online storage softwares. Sportstracks is very good. It track´s ALL stuff you use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my 310xt takes a long time to lock on to the satellites, I don't wait. I turn it off and then back on. Usually, it then locks on right away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
Also if anyone has tips for racing with these and wetsuit removal that would be nice as well. I'm not sure how I'm getting my wetsuit sleeve over the top of this monster.

910xt quick release kit, https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=94089 ... got the 310xt version of this, it adds a little bit to the profile of the watch ~3mm or so, but I find it useful as you can click it off your wrist for the swim (sticking it under your swim cap, although be careful to make sure you don't lose it), then click it onto your bike in T1 (no wetsuit to get tangled on) and back onto your wrist in T2 for the run.

Quick photo to show you.. me sporting the Garmin "conehead" look and how the quick release mount looks (this is the 310xt)...

Last edited by: rj2501: Feb 2, 12 6:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to throw things away - so when I was about to pitch the 910 box/manuals I figured I'd do a quick read of the english instructions before tossing them. The instructions are a lot less intimidating when you realize the other 18 booklets are just various languages. Anyway, I found this shocking tidbit!:
When in run or 'other' mode, you can doubleTAP the screen to make the light come on (assuming it isn't set to always on). Really. I would have never guessed this since it isn't a touch screen, but I guess it detects the jostling. Very cool... just tape it with your fingertip twice firmly. I would have never known...

Did my first swim with it last night - was awesome. FAR superior (in accuracy) to my swimsense or swimovate. Only one error - it missed my first turn. Everything else (1800y in a 25y pool) was perfect. I suspect I can isolate that initial issue and make sure I do something right to avoid it. It also thought one rest interval was a backstroke length, but I'm not faulting that - as I remembered I got out of the pool and grabbed my tempo trainer during that 'rest' - so I'm not surprised.

Things I haven't figured out that I would like are:
- can you have a different light mode per sport? I'd like the light off when running or 'other'... maybe on when swimming... no biggie.
- can you have the GPS off in certain modes? I'd like it off in 'other' so I can use that as my 'wristwatch mode'.

Oh yeah - I got a wahoo fitness ANT+ adapter for my iphone at the same time as my watch. I used the USB ANT+ stick once just to make sure the firmware was up to date, but after that I pulled it out of the PC and never looked back. Now I only sync workouts via the wahoo app. Works great (and from the field/race too).

Lastly - I love Garmin Connect. I upload my stuff to trainingpeaks, nike+, mapmyrun, and some other stuff I've never even logged into thanks to wahoo (once you import a workout from the watch you can send it to any/all of those). I like trainingpeaks for power analysis of computrainer rides, but outside of that everything I want is in garmin connect. The interface is a lot slicker than TP, and I find it far more convenient. It's gotten consistently better as well - recently, for example, it seems to have migrated away from flash so the graphs work well on a ipad/phone nowadays, and that happened without any fanfare. Good stuff. The workout builder - also new - is amazing. Very effective. I tried it once to build a fartlek run, and ran it on my 705, and it worked great. I look fwd to doing it on the 910. (crap - I'll need to put the USB stick back in the load the workouts on the watch...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found it handy to turn off the GPS signal when I am riding on my trainer. If you have a speed/cadence sensor it extends the battery life quite a bit.

Jeremiah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget turn-by-turn directions. (Actually, it works on the 305, don't know if it still works on 310 / 910. I would think so.) Good thread on this:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...um.cgi?post=3411852;

I'll even use this during races on courses I'm not familiar with. I can't count the number of times I've gotten to a turn that's poorly marked with no volunteers wondering where to go. With the turn-by-turn, there's no question. I just wish that it would give you the indication say 10 meters before the turn. It usually beeps right at the turn.
Quote Reply

Prev Next