Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jeffmpollock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty slick mount. Would it be possible to mount this on the top bolts and avoid the washers?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Pretty slick mount. Would it be possible to mount this on the top bolts and avoid the washers?
Unfortunately no. The washers are there to get it away from the stem faceplate. The recessed bolts on my stems make that really hard to machine without cutting away so much aluminum material from the mount that I think it would be pretty weak and might bend/break off too easily. Maybe on the 3rd version I could give it a try to see how strong it might be. I put the washers between the mount and the bolt head too to make sure the load is evenly distributed on the plate. The metal is pretty soft. Makes it easy to work with and machine though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the thickness of the material you are using compare the gap between the faceplate and extension of the stem. Perhaps it could fit in that gap? I have seen other computer mounts that fit in that gap.

Nonetheless, well done.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about it, but my stuff is too thin. Good idea though! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carbon is actually pretty easy to work with, and I have the material so until it's gone I'm gonna try it. The problem was the fibers don't do well on sharp bends, so I'm rounding that and also supporting it from the sides so it should be much stiffer, with less ply's. love the direct mount idea though...great idea
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [daryl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daryl1 wrote:
I think this is cleaner

Nice work... any chance we can see this without the 500 on it so that we can see how you've done this??

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this little gizmo and strap on. Works perfectly. Sorry, but The Bay won't let me link the pic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...mp;item=300640714693

The bar can be cut shorter, if you only want to see the Garmin and no bar. Bar can also be moved to the middle and something mounted on each side. It's not DIY, but works.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [RedLizard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm seeking a mount that will place my computer in front of a bottle mounted between the aerobars. idea: modify an x-lab torpedo mount and adhere a garmin mount to it. mockup below. feedback? here's what i like about it:
  • low profile/aero
  • centers the computer between the bars
  • position easily adjusted or removed
  • stable
  • simple/light

what's the best adhesive for affixing the garmin mount? in this case it would be plastic to carbon.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [GREG_n_SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally got around to taking some pictures of the Garmin mounted using the direct mount method. I think it worked out pretty well. Feels really snug especially with the paint. I may bend it up a little. If anything it may be too low, but from the front it is pretty clean. Looking forward to trying in the races...

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This reminds me, I want to make custom arm pads for my aerobars. I want them to be 6" and carbon.

Anyone do this yet? If so, how much do you want to make me a set?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen this thread pop up now and then for last month and I have to ask .... Why? On a tt bike sure, computer placement is an issue but on road bike? The thing mounts very nicely on your stem. Why does anyone want to go to all this trouble to move it forward 2 inches so floats out in a more vulnerable position? How much are people staring at their computers that they need to do this? Is it just because it's fun to tinker?
I am really am curious so I hope this doesn't come off as too snarky.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [leggett24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three things. Like to tinker. January in the NW kinda sucks for riding, though not so much this year. It always bothered me to spend money on aero this an that (especially the handlebar I got this year) and then to stick a computer like a sore thumb on top of it. It seemed like there had to be a better way to mount the thing. I bet it saves me at least a second per race:) I working on applying what I learned from the project to my TT rig. The Ventus doesn't have many good mounting options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's nice to have if you have a power meter, you can see your computer without looking down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good, I'm on my 3rd version of a carbon one and still sorting through issues, the most recent is keeping the garmin mount attached, trying to do it without using the rubber bands. I'm going to drill a hole in it tonight and try your direct mount method. I may try 1 more attempt after this then just try the aluminum. totally agree on changing the angle too though, I think angling it a bit will give a better view.
Last edited by: GREG_n_SD: Jan 10, 12 12:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much would you sell one of your mounts for?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure. Maybe $20-30 just for time mostly. But I'm not planning on starting a side business. The problem is that you have to make it match your stem bolt width and your stem rise angle. Too much trouble to mass produce and my job keeps me happily employed. They aren't hard to make if you have a drill, vice, blowtorch, file, sandpaper, and dremel tool. Materials to make 20 of them costs $10...1/16 by 1.5 inch aluminum strip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too like to tinker. I find it easier to see my computer and it looks better IMO. I think when mounted on the top of the stem it looks like a giant wart when veiwed from the side.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [415brian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the same thing with my Xlab mount for a bit.

Follow me at http://www.justinjharris.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to a stock computer mount coming off the stem face plate, by Cinelli: http://www.cinelli.it/...lang=EN&IdAcc=79

It might not be the best solution for a tri bike set-up but would be nice on a Road or CX bike.

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jutnut627] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Have it's made...........

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicely done...BTW amazing ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you do that on the SC? It looks like it must be glued or something...I am trying to figure out how to mount my Garmin to my Giant Trinity, so a similar setup to yours could probably work

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [ian10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's a cut down mount fitted up through a hole in the top cap. Glued in place. Does that help? I have no idea how the Trinity stem is arranged, but there's just enough room inside the Speed Concept top cap to fit this.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is sweet flushed into the top cap.
Quote Reply

Prev Next