Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had same experience with PP. Being a SW person, it looks like incomplete test work done on this to identify issues prior to release. Unfortunate. For us.
Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [js] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
js wrote:
Tom A. Thanks for the great data. I've got a powertap so have not been able to correlate for myself. I was wondering what other users are seeing with their spin down calibrations. My values seem to vary a more than I expected. For example if I do 6 consecutive calibrations I get values ranging from around 142 to 166. Also the variation is random, not increasing or decreasing as the unit warms up. I assume that since the calibration is for a unit's individual resistance it isn't necessary to calibrate before every ride, correct? I have left my correction factor at 155 mid-range for the values it spits out.

I think the key to getting consistent spin down numbers is to be consistent in how you do them. Since the PP is looking at the rate of deceleration after you stop pedaling at the target speed, I try to make it so that I'm VERY slowly approaching that target speed and then stop. In other words, I think it might get "confused" if the speed is actually increasing quickly just before you stop pedaling. In any case, my spin downs don't vary by more than a unit or two.

Spin down calibration should just be a "once in a while" sort of thing. Do it after the unit is well warmed up, and then don't bother doing it again for a long time. After all, about the only thing that will change it is wear, or "breaking in" of the unit. So, occasionally doing the spin down to compensate for that will be a good thing. I can't imagine that doing it more often than every couple of hundred hours of use would really gain anything.

As far as losing the data goes...I haven't experienced that yet. Then again, my time on it is somewhat limited (my son actually has used it more than I have). My only complaint about the data download is how LONG it takes to write to the USB stick :-/

BTW, the percent difference I see between the Quarq and the PP is about what I'd expect there to be for drivetrain losses, which means that the PP should give a rider power numbers close to what they would expect for a PT. When you think about it, that's good, because I would expect the PT users who purchase a Revolution to be more likely to buy the Power Pilot than other PM users ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Dec 22, 11 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. Thanks I will give your spin down method a try, but I'll be off the trainer for a couple of weeks. I have been trying to use a consistent method after warming up the revolution but have not approached the target speed slowly. That make sense so will give it a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone tell me how to do a spin down calibration or give me a link to the procedure?
Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [alvaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alvaro wrote:
Can someone tell me how to do a spin down calibration or give me a link to the procedure?

"The spin down calibration feature can be accessed by entering pair mode (Press and hold DIST/SPEED & STOP buttons) then you press the down arrow to enter the calibration screen, then press HR/KCAL to start the calibration and follow the prompts."

You need to have the latest firmware for this, BTW...the directions for getting that (if you don't have it) should be earlier in this thread, I believe.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom are you using the PP on your Rev? Likes/dislikes? I keep bouncing back to a Quarq....then wanting to wait for Garmin...and never end up doing anything. A PT does me no good b/c I do 90% of my rides indoors these days and have a Rev myself. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
Tom are you using the PP on your Rev? Likes/dislikes? I keep bouncing back to a Quarq....then wanting to wait for Garmin...and never end up doing anything. A PT does me no good b/c I do 90% of my rides indoors these days and have a Rev myself. Thanks.

I have one...I was sent it to help beta test the firmware. That said, whenever I ride on it I use a bike with a Quarq, so I always go by that. I don't ride it much though seeing as how I live in SoCal :-)

My son, however, uses it a lot. He seems to actually "enjoy" riding a trainer...well, the LeMond Rev, anyway ;-)

As far as likes/dislikes go...about the only things I'd say I dislike about it is the lack of "intervals"...and how long it takes to download to the USB stick. On the "likes" side? It appears to be fairly accurate :-)

BTW, I've always said that the "target audience" for PP buyers is PT wheel owners. Seems like a perfect match.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, im italian and sorry for the bad English.
how to pair the Garmin Edge 500 with LeMond Revolution?
I'd like to see the wattage on the garmin because I do not like the pilot power
thanks

Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [giulioitaly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giulioitaly wrote:
Hi, im italian and sorry for the bad English.
how to pair the Garmin Edge 500 with LeMond Revolution?
I'd like to see the wattage on the garmin because I do not like the pilot power
thanks

I'm sorry, but that is not possible. The power calculation is performed in the Power Pilot.

Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on the phone for an hour today with Lemond support, and I still can't get the firmware update onto my PP (purchased in July 2011). I take out the batteries, insert the USB stick, re-insert the batteries, and the PP starts up normally. There is no indication that a firmware upgrade has occurred. I cannot get to the spin down calibration screen, so I can only assume the upgrade is not occurring. Lemond hasn't been able to help.
It sounds like some folks have had better luck getting the firmware upgrade onto the PP. Has anyone else had troubles? What are some common gotchas?

Note: I've tried different USB keys, different size drives, different file system format (FAT32, NTFS), and different batteries. I got the file fresh from the FTP site today. Also, there is nothing else on the USB drive. Every time I get the same result.

Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [slidell4life] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slidell4life wrote:
I was on the phone for an hour today with Lemond support, and I still can't get the firmware update onto my PP (purchased in July 2011). I take out the batteries, insert the USB stick, re-insert the batteries, and the PP starts up normally. There is no indication that a firmware upgrade has occurred. I cannot get to the spin down calibration screen, so I can only assume the upgrade is not occurring. Lemond hasn't been able to help.
It sounds like some folks have had better luck getting the firmware upgrade onto the PP. Has anyone else had troubles? What are some common gotchas?

Note: I've tried different USB keys, different size drives, different file system format (FAT32, NTFS), and different batteries. I got the file fresh from the FTP site today. Also, there is nothing else on the USB drive. Every time I get the same result.

Did you get this sorted out?

I have a chance to get one at a great price, but I'm still seeing 2 issues. No way for coach to upload workouts and very long download times. Both of which add hassle to my life. The former making it almost not worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
slidell4life wrote:

Did you get this sorted out?

I have a chance to get one at a great price, but I'm still seeing 2 issues. No way for coach to upload workouts and very long download times. Both of which add hassle to my life. The former making it almost not worth it.

You can speed up the downloads by deleting prior workouts from the PowerPilot before downloading your most recent workout. It won't be fast, but keeping prior workouts in the PP's memory really made downloading slow, slow, slow in my case.

-------
Joe

Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [Joe C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about uploading a workout? To the best of my investigative work, which might be incorrect, it's only with Training Peaks software using a 'DotFit' format?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
How about uploading a workout? To the best of my investigative work, which might be incorrect, it's only with Training Peaks software using a 'DotFit' format?

Sorry but I never did got into w/o uploads, so I've got no information.

-------
Joe

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have yet to find a software/place that can ride intevals/workouts to upload to powerpilot fyi

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has any new activity happened with the PP? Have they figured out a way to create/load workout's into the device? is it still buggy? are they on a 2nd generation yet?

John

Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [jlafren42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

i've bought one of the last power pilot for lemond revolution avaiable here in italy (because the official importer told me that lemond is not going to produce it anymore since Hoist fitness, the new owner, is not interested to keep on producing it).

My problem is that i'm triyng to download a firmware update but the ftp site of lemond fitness hosts only broken files (even the pdf manuals are invalid). My power pilot is updated with the v50 firmware but on the lemond site was hosted the v63 version (PowerPIlot_v63.zip is the complete name of the file).

Is there anyone who has downloaded it before the ftp problem who can can send it to me. I know at the moment i'm not the only one with this problem so this could be helpfull for other guys.

Thank you all for your help

Fabio (italian Triathlete)

P.S before you ask me: i'v already send email and other request to lemond fitness and Hoist Fitness without success.
Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [Fab4mas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fab4mas wrote:
Hi all,

i've bought one of the last power pilot for lemond revolution avaiable here in italy (because the official importer told me that lemond is not going to produce it anymore since Hoist fitness, the new owner, is not interested to keep on producing it).

My problem is that i'm triyng to download a firmware update but the ftp site of lemond fitness hosts only broken files (even the pdf manuals are invalid). My power pilot is updated with the v50 firmware but on the lemond site was hosted the v63 version (PowerPIlot_v63.zip is the complete name of the file).

Is there anyone who has downloaded it before the ftp problem who can can send it to me. I know at the moment i'm not the only one with this problem so this could be helpfull for other guys.

Thank you all for your help

Fabio (italian Triathlete)

P.S before you ask me: i'v already send email and other request to lemond fitness and Hoist Fitness without success.

just a up for the thread. someone else has a old firmware??
Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [jlafren42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No still I idea bow to load workouts into it

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now that i've got my firmware v63 i 've done calibration. the value after this procedure for me was 176, the default i think was 230. Any other guy here has completed this procedure?

what value have you recorded?
Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [Fab4mas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to breathe some life into this old thread -- I recently got a good deal on a gently used Lemond Revolution trainer, and now I'm trying to figure out the best way to track my workouts.

I've got Garmin GSC10s on my bikes for cadence, and was considering a second for speed off the flywheel, but I found my local bike shop may have a good deal on the PowerPilot.

Do folks who have them think it's worth $200? Does anyone have a copy of the latest firmware (I assume that's v63)? I've checked around their site and Facebook page and couldn't find any links for it.
Quote Reply
Re: LeMond Power Pilot [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone using the power pilot having questions over accuracy

bought myself a quarq and there is a 20 watt differential (the pilot is higher) between the two on my 20 min test ?

i will of course use the quarq number for my rides outdoors but just interested

many thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next