Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin 500 custom mount
Quote | Reply
Here are some shots of my custom Garmin 500 stem mount. Still need to paint it black but wanted to test it out before painting it. put the cumputer in a great position on the roadbike. A friend that works on race cars desined and built it for me after creating a few for his own bikes.

Post you custom garmin mounts

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice...looks like a good option for those with shorty stems...
Last edited by: sevenz: Dec 21, 11 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [sevenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My stem is 110mm and my friend has his on a 140mm stem so I think either way works. you can just make out my friends mount in this picture.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks great, but you should definitely *Paint it* matte black
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good for computer mounting in general. Do you have spacers and long bolts where it mounts to the stem?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be painting it matt black.

Stem bolts were replaced with a longer bolt and there is a aluminum spacer tube over the bolt to space the mount away from the stem cap to get clearence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That bike is sick looking.

Carry on.............
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love it. Good work!

What is the weight?

You might be able to sell those if you can figure out a way to standardize the bolt pattern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't you flip the mount over to get the Garmin more in line with the stem?

Or moun it on the top bolts

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the bolt diameter is pretty much standard, you just have to make a slot shape

it looks awesome. I didn't buy a Garmin 500 because of the integration. Now that I see this, I think I will sell my SRM PC7 and swap for garmin...
arghhh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks awesome!! I did something "similar" as to mount my 500 in front of the stem. My father being handy and carpenter-esc used a light weight wooden dowel and zip tie under the stem. It worked, but this looks MUCH better. Kudos!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [zambony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the bolt diameter is pretty much standard

Maybe bolt diameter, but every different stem has them in different spots. Some stems only have 2 bolts. Some have 4 bolts all spaced out, others have 4 bolts all towards the center.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why did you not want it on top of the stem?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love that mount. I hate the set up I have. You have inspired me to take another look and come up with something that will work for me! Nice work!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Willingtotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is cleaner

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [daryl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reply to all:

Stem Bolt patterns are not standard and since this is a custom made mount it was made to fit my bolt pattern, I was luck that it was the same as the friend who made the mount.

The computer sits with the top of the screen about the center of the stem and that works just fine for me.

That mount is cool but the off center coumpter would make me ride in circles. I am anal and noticed that my screen is slightly scewed in the garmin case and it drives me nuts.

once I paint it black it will not be very visable and I will ride it until it fatigues and falls off or the garmin dies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job. There are many ways to do this, yours included. I love my 500 but wished 1) that it was further forward on my 1130mm stem and 2) that it didn't stick up like a wart on top of the stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This has already come up on several other threads (the search button is your friend). However, again, here's my setup:
It's really easy to see the display even out of the saddle, no vibration, and it sits in front of the hands so little aero loss. I used a nail wrapped in a gear cable outer housing, 7 zip ties, a carefully bent 14 gauge spoke and the garmin removable clip/band. It's called a "Clark Mount". Been working reliably for a year. Couldn't go back to having the computer back at the handlebars.

Doug
http://www.newjerseytriathloncoach.com
http://www.triathlonlog.com

Last edited by: BigBloke: Mar 10, 12 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy McGyver!!! That is cool. Do you run a torpedo style bottle up front? If so, does it interfere any?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i like it

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
Holy McGyver!!! That is cool. Do you run a torpedo style bottle up front? If so, does it interfere any?

Yes, I have a horizontal bottle and no, it doesn't interfere at all (pics here).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was inspired by this post to try to make my own mount for the Garmin 500. I bought a 4ft strip of 1.5 ich wide and 1/16 (I think) thick aluminium. Stuck it in a vice, heated it up with a blowtorch, bent the 90 degree into it. Cut with saw (cuts like butter). Drilled holes for stem using faceplate as a guide. Then used dremel tool to make holes for garmin O-rings. Sanded, smoothed corners with a file, and painted with black epoxy spraypaint. I didn't have flat black in my garage. The usual garmin O-rings are too long, so I bought some smaller ones and used a paper clip to get them on. I bought some slightly longer bolts (5mm extra), and about 12 washers to fit the bolts. It worked great, but I still thought I could do better.

So then I kept looking at it and thought about the thickness of the aluminum. It turns out the stuff I was using (I think 1/16th of an inch) was perfect to make a direct mount for the garmin. I went through the same process above, but this time cut a perfect 1 inch hole in the plate using a 1 inch drill bit, then used the dremel tool to make the tabs. I test fitted the garmin and it is super snug mounted directly to plate, no Garmin adapter needed! Total cost was about $10 in materials and 45 min for each plate. The plate weighs 8 grams. The garmin is really snug and I don't think it will rotate without significant force. This is on my race bike, so with normal racing use (5-10 events) a year I think it will be fine. Either option works pretty well though, but I like the minimalist 2nd prototype.

I mounted on my stem upside down to raise the Garmin a little. The washers raise the plate away from the curve of the stem and are easy to adjust to make it as close as possible without contacting. I think it is about as clean as possible now. I'll take some pictures tonight with the Garmin on it. This was a really fun project and thanks for posting all the ideas.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jeffmpollock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicely done. I've been working on the same thing only using carbon fiber...1st version wasn't strong enough because of the 90 deg bend. Going to modify that this week and work on version 2. I like the direct mount though! My thought was to cut the tabs off of my garmin mount and epoxy it directly on so it was low profile and didn't need rubber bands.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [GREG_n_SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I think carbon would be pretty challenging especially using the stem bolts given the compression forces. My next plan is to make an aluminum piece for my TT rig that bridges across the aerobars but has the direct mount. Should be even easier than the other projects since there are no bends to make. Planning on using electrical tape to attach mount to aerobars.

You might try to make the aluminum version for the stem mount and 90 degree bit, then bond it to carbon for the garmin mount. You could also cut the tabs for the rubberbands off the garmin adapter and put the adapter directly into your carbon layup so it is countersunk. Good luck!
Quote Reply

Prev Next