Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kindle Fire vs Kindle DX?
Quote | Reply
My wife wants a Kindle for book reading and a small amount of online browsing. Besides 3G advantage why spend the extra money?

Appropriate advice appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Kindle Fire vs Kindle DX? [thenicetwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only reason I'd ever get a Kindle DX is if I read a lot of pdfs or magazines (NOT books) and wanted a true e-reader (with e ink, not a backlit screen). The market for DX users has ALWAYS been small, and I don't imagine it will ever grow. In fact, I am not sure how much longer they'll even make the DX. It's sort of an inconvenient size, IMO.

The Kindle Fire is a tablet (no camera, no expandable storage, but still a tablet) that has a reading app on it. It is NOT an e-reader. It does have a very competent web browser (I prefer it to either of my laptops, in fact) and can play games and other apps, show videos, play music, etc. I WILL read on my Fire in a pinc, but 99% of the time I have one of my actual Kindles with me and I read on that (or, in the case of the dark car ride...read on my phone).

My advice would be this:
if she wants a portable computer/tablet that has the capability to read books on it occasionally, get the Fire.
if she wants an e-reader, get a Kindle (one of the e-readers with 3G, either the K4 Touch or the K3 Keyboard). (Although I wouldn't use them as a browser for normal, every day use. Again--just like I don't read much on my fire, I don't use the internet on my Kindle)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kindle Fire vs Kindle DX? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely agree with all of that.

You to decide if you want an e-reader or if you want a tablet. Each has their own advantages. The tablet can do good web browsing and is better for magazines or other picture-intense reading. But I wouldn't want to read an entire book on one. The e-ink screen is what makes the e-reader.

The Nook and Kindle color tablets are good compromise hybrid if you only want one device, but I'd rather have two separate devices: a bigger tablet for web browsing and an e-ink reader for books.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And one more thing: if you are looking at e-readers, do you NEED the 3G at all? Not everyone does, or thinks the extra $ is worth it, but some do. Something else to consider, I guess.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And one more thing: if you are looking at e-readers, do you NEED the 3G at all?

I bought one of the original Kindle's as I was heading out for a bike tour and didn't want to carry books. I have used it just for reading and it is exactly what I want and need. I can use wi-fi to load up and then am good, no need for any on-line connection so can read anywhere.

If you really just want to read, keep it simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I can't figure out why you'd need 3G for it. I have a back log of books on mine that I haven't read and if one comes out that I want to read right away there are a ton of places with free wifi to download it. Since you nee a computer to buy the books etc... you pretty much don't need 3G
Quote Reply
Re: Kindle Fire vs Kindle DX? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I can't figure out why you'd need 3G for it. I have a back log of books on mine that I haven't read and if one comes out that I want to read right away there are a ton of places with free wifi to download it. Since you nee a computer to buy the books etc... you pretty much don't need 3G

x2

I am a book lover and it took me a while to get used to actually downloading e-books on my Kindle. I would still go to bookstores and buy books after getting a Kindle. Carrying them on a bike became the problem, particularly on the days I was going uphill and slowly I started using my Kindle more but really, I only had to access wi-fi, you don't even need a computer but I usually order on my computer and then download to my Kindle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the kindle dx. I use it for magazines and pdf documents. A lot of work documents are in pdfs, which makes it easier for me read considering how dry it is. I also download pdf documents that don't pertain to my profession like training studies from the internet. However, if you're just reading books, get the smaller one. The browser on the kindle dx is absolutely crap.
Quote Reply
Re: Kindle Fire vs Kindle DX? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:

I'm on the other side of the fence--I would never have one without it. I'm frequently somewhere I don't have any other access. That being said, I think it's a limited thing. Not everyone needs it, for sure--which is why I posed the question.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms

Quote Reply