Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
G. Chris Gleason Tribute
Quote | Reply
Yesterday, our friend and fellow STer, G. Chris Gleason (Chris G), passed away suddenly at the age of 40 after completing the Philadelphia Marathon. Chris leaves behind his incredible wife and two beautiful children -- a daughter, 9, and son, 6. He is also survived by his father, mother and younger sister. His wife asked that this news be posted so that that we have a space to share our memories and stories.

As many of you know first-hand, Chris was an amazing athlete. In July he went 10:11:04 at Ironman Lake Placid, besting his fastest Ironman time by more than a half hour in what was a non-wetsuit swim (he was pretty damn proud of that).

He was a fixture of the local race circuit up here in the Northeast but had a circle of friends that extended far and wide, coast to coast, and beyond the U.S.

Chris was super smart, super social and had strong opinions about racing, training, and just about everything else. He was irrepressible -- in person or on-line. He's going to be missed for his sharp wit, his competitive spirit, his big heart and his loyal friendship. For those that perhaps didn't know Chris well, you'll see posts and pictures throughout ST that illustrate very well the kind of competitor and human being he was. Chris walked the walk, and challenged others to live life in the same way. This was his real gift to those that knew him.

Most important though, Chris was a dedicated and loving father and husband. Training for Ironman, he'd set off at 4:30 AM routinely no matter how cold or wet the weather. Come hell or high water, he was back at the house when the kids woke up. His job was putting them on the bus, and I dont think he ever missed that responsibility when he wasn't out of town on business.

In short, he loved his family as intensely as he did everything else. This was Chris' finest achievement.

He was far too young and this is very confusing for those of us that are close to him. We'll never really get over it. But, if there's any comfort at all, we should try and remember that Chris left this life doing something he was passionate about and that his family was there when he passed.

To whichever higher power you might subscribe, please keep his wife and children in your thoughts and prayers.

We'll miss you Chris.

Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [KevinMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice tribute. Prayers to his family and friends.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know him at all, but I enjoyed reading his posts. This whole thing is pretty mind-boggling.
Thoughts to his family, and his friends.
:(

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never knew Chris, but my deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My prayers go out to his family and everyone that knew him. Way, way too young. This is really sad to hear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts and prayers are with Chris and his family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pray for his family. Give them some peace.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for starting this thread, and appreciation to his wife for understanding the community. My thoughts are with Chris' friends and family, especially his wife and kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my first ever ironman (in IMLP 200?) went sideways and I ended up in medical after the race, Chris took it upon himself to make sure my bike and bags were taken care of. I barely even knew him at the time, i was basically a stranger to him. That's the kind of guy he was.

Quote | Reply
My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am floored by this news and cannot seem to gather the words that could possibly describe how I feel at this moment.

We were all very fortunate to benefit from Chris' wit and banter on SlowTwitch and I know that I am far from being the only person that will miss that. I had the opportunity to meet Chris this year before Lake Placid at the "ST Gathering." Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to meet him in person and now, hearing this news, it is a missed chance that I will always regret.

Thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and two kids.

Please keep us updated as to the arrangements. I would like to make the trip to pay my respects to a really amazing person.

"Hold on, you run a marathon AFTER you ride your bike?!?....oh, you people are just insane"......(my Mom)

Rockin' the W in 2013!! Wattie Ink Elite Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't personally know him, but it is always difficult to grasp when a member of a community passes. Absolutely tragic.

Peace to his friends and family.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow. i really enjoyed talking with Chris, even if it was only on slowtwitch. he seemed like a really good guy and always made time. i saved his 2011 LP report and would read it every so often just to remind myself of how it should be done.

my sympathies for all who knew him. i imagine they know how fortunate they are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now, I am too messed up about this to really post anything entirely lucid. I met Chris through this forum and we got to know each other more through various training days and races in the North East. Between Chris and I in the same room, or on the top of a mountain, the banter was never dull. While the smacktalk was endless, the energy was always even higher.

My son tells me that I get to hang out with some people who push themselves in all aspect of life. Chris Gleasson was one of them. My life is enriched by hanging out with guys of this calibre. My son thinks all these dudes are superheros and he's not 3, he's 15!!!

When we leave this world, it does not matter that we are the richest guy in the graveyard. Rather, what matters is that we enrich the lives of those around us.

Chris, in the few years, that we got to know each other, you did exactly that.

You get to know some great things about a man on three rides together to the summit of Whiteface.....here is a picture of our first ride, which somehow facebook decided to post upside down and as some who commented on my page, yes, it is only fitting that it should appear upside down, because that is what Jenny Gleason's world is today. A wife and mother whose soulmate left all too early.

I accept that we all only get one finish line in life, and this is a finish line that none of us want our peers to be at any time soon. I wish Chris was with us in the DNF group in the game of life. Sadly he is not. His soul will live on through us and those he left an impression on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this, Kevin:

Chris was a terrific athlete and a real inspiration to so many people. That picture captures the true essence of Chris the athlete. I loved reading his posts, and I'm going to miss his presence on the forum. My thoughts and prayers are with his family today. Godspeed, Chris.

Also, just so others know, Chris' Endurance Nation Team has set up a donation/collection site through Paypal for the benefit of Chris' family. If you would like to contribute, please follow the link.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will post more later, but I just wanted to say what an absolute honor and privilege it has been for me to have Chris in my life for the past years, and to call him friend.

He leaves behind a wonderful family, and many many friends.

I will miss our near-daily email banter.

I will miss hanging out with him before and after races, which was always the best part (we always joked about how we should skip the annoying racing part and go right to the good stuff :-)

I will miss my friend.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His pictures and report from Syracuse last year are probably the most memorable ever posted on this site...wish I'd have had the pleasure of knowing him...and really appreciate all the comments from those who were so fortunate

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my deepest condolences to his wife and children. i hope she finds the love, support and strength she needs to make it through this very difficult time.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@Kevin, to read your words is to know Chris... you perfectly captured his spirit and energy. It's hard to think of a day in the last five years where I didn't get a text from him on something...he was always pushing me (and himself) to be the best I could possibly be, as a triathlete, a leader, and a father.

His loss is a real tragedy, but a chance for us all to reflect on a great man who made a difference in his own unique way. As Chris was a long standing member of the Endurance Nation community, we are working on a way to remember Chris and help the family. I will keep you all posted.

RIP Chris.

+++++++++
Patrick McCrann
Endurance Nation Camps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad. My condolences to the family.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My condolences to his family. I met Chris at EpicMan in 2007, such a nice guy. He will be missed.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had interacted with Chris through private messages, about various topics. He seemed like an extremely genuine person, very down to earth, humble, loving life,
the sport, his family...It's tragic.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtlrunner wrote:
Chris took it upon himself to make sure my bike and bags were taken care of. I barely even knew him at the time, i was basically a stranger to him. That's the kind of guy he was.

This is exactly the kind of person that Chris was.

I'm fortunate to have many fond memories of Chris, but I'd like to share one in particular. Back in June, we were racing at Tupper Lake, and we passed each other out on the run course. He was about 6-7 minutes back and running strong so I knew he'd be coming in shortly behind me. I hung around in the finish chute for a few minutes, waiting to congratulate him and perhaps issue some playful smack talk. I saw him coming down the last stretch, and just before he got to the line, he gestured over to the crowd. His son came running up alongside him and they crossed the finish line hand-in-hand. It was clear where his heart was, and in that moment I couldn't have been more grateful to call such a person my friend.

His absence is going to leave a hole that most of us will probably never fill. He became one of those fixtures in my training and racing world, and I can't even begin to imagine the impact he had on those that knew him far longer than I did.

You are (and will continue to be) dearly missed, my friend.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a sad day for us all- i've read so many of his posts, always a super contributor here.

My prayers & thoughts go out to those whom knew him, he was obviously a very good friend to many, and to his wife & kids.

Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris embodied the best of what AG racing represents to me. As others have said, he trained and raced with committment while still keeping his priorities firmly right side up. I feel priviledged to have known and been friends with Chris, and I'm definitely the better for it. My thoughts are with his family today as they struggle to come to terms with his passing. This is definitely one of those times when I feel at odds with the timing of the universe. He will be missed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next