Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anyone use visionary lenses for oakleys on ebay?
Quote | Reply

Found this on ebay--Visionary Lenses--makes lenses for Oakleys in many more colors and cheaper than Oakley. Does anyone have any experience with this company? Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...f43f8#ht_2891wt_1144
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use visionary lenses for oakleys on ebay? [onyouright] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wear Oakleys for the lenses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GL9XNjcBI
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use visionary lenses for oakleys on ebay? [onyouright] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not used those, but I recently bought a pair of Samvette lenses for my Halfjackets. http://stores.ebay.com/...?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I have no idea but highly doubt that they have the safety features that Oakleys have, but I am not using them for anything but driving and walking around town. More precisely, I bought them because my wife likes to "borrow" those glasses and doesn't look after them at all. The original lenses have nice teeth marks from where the dogs started chewing after she left them within their reach. These new lenses were cheap so I don't really care if she wrecks them.

Besides, I am working on getting a pair of Jawbones right now, so these Halfjackets really will be spares.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use visionary lenses for oakleys on ebay? [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any lens which is made out of optical grade polycarbonate will have the same "safety features" as Oakley. Nothing special about O in those regards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One key feature to the Oakleys is the hydrophobic coating, aftermarket lenses will not have that feature.

http://talesofthemissing.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use visionary lenses for oakleys on ebay? [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the safety thing. 3M makes super safe (impact & UV) glasses for $10. But there are two other things that Oakley does exceptionally well, and which you are really paying for. Optical clarity is one. And the other is specifically in comparison with the lenses listed, since those lenses are polarized, is actually inserting the polarizing filter. This is not as trivial as it seems, and incorrectly polarized lenses can actually make more glare.

There's a third, as well, and that's quality control. When Oakley makes a pallet of glasses (like ~1000 pairs), they pull 20 finished pairs of the pallet and hand test them for clarity, balance, etc. If ANY of those 20 pairs fails, the WHOLE pallet is destroyed.

As with anything, you are paying a lot for incremental improvements. A 5% improvement is color acuity, for example, is not going to up the price 5%.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've purchased both Visionary and Samvette on E-Bay for my Half Jacket frame. Both seem reasonable quality for polarized lenses offer many colors, but Samvette provides the light transmittance %, an indication of how dark they are behind the lenses. The Visionaries were gold and were rather dark behind the lenses, don't know the transmittance. The Samvettes were red and lighter behind the lenses @ 15% transmittance, but they make lenses down to 9%. Check out the Samvette website.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use visionary lenses for oakleys on ebay? [VaTech75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also used both companies lenses, too, but would go with VL. They are based in the US (according to their info) & their customer service is very responsive/knowledgeable. I bought the "Fire Red" & "Ice Blue" lenses and they are roughly 20% light trans & have used them for 10 long rides so far....most of their products say they have around 18% trans. VL shipping was VERY fast shipping- 2 days from purchase as opposed to 10 from Samvette. Both have good packaging, but my two sense is that VL has a better selection & overall better product. Happy riding!
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use visionary lenses for oakleys on ebay? [Biker4life] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I just came across this thread after trying to find some reviews on the Samvette or VL lenses.
Can anyone recommend either one bases on visual clarity?
I own several pair of Oakleys with scratched lenses and I'd like to find a cheaper alternative, but I'm extremely picky about the clarity of the lens. I have yet to find anyone who makes lenses cheaper than Oakley with the same standards for clarity. Has anyone noticed any imperfections or "waves" in the replacement lenses from Samvette or VL?
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use visionary lenses for oakleys on ebay? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To follow up with Rapp and some secrets to the industry:

After a batch of XYZ lenses FAILS inside Oakley, they ship across the street to Dragon. Dragon still uses XYZ optics. With that said, Dragons can offer the exact same quality as Oakley, but their brand has taken more of a "surfer" free spirit form and they don't make performance racing frames.

I learned this through a Oakley-laser-head, demonstrating that with nearly every optic on the market, when our eyes look through “all other” lenses, our brain has to correct its own vision. Let me break it down: When you look through Oakley lenses, your eyes WILL NOT have to correct themselves. This is not something you manually do, but rather, it's normal for our eyes to automatically adjust. If your brain is always automatically adjusting your vision, you can get a headache or worse...

With that said, you only get one set of eyes and Oakley takes very good care of them.

I would consider "Poly-carb-mock-up-lenses" for trail running or working with my wood tools where I will only use them to keep from getting whacked in the eye. Anything cycling or fast moving (or fishing) "I will only use my Oakley lenses!!!"

Please, NEVER use anything but Oakley when protecting against the sun because you will pay the price. And, if you understand how Polarized can adversely affect our vision, you will only use Oakley Polarized lenses as a means to cut glare. (Polarized lenses are best for water, Lifeguards, Surfers, Boaters, Yakers, Fishing etc.) I can't see why anyone would use Polarized lenses on land. (They make my eyes buzz...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can these guys do Rx?

I picked up a new grind on my regular glasses last week and got a quote for a pair of Rx Half Jackets.

Drum roll: $640 + tax
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use visionary lenses for oakleys on ebay? [Tri or Die] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, sounds like I will stick with Oakley lenses.

thanks for the help!
Quote Reply