Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Problem installing Mavic freehub body
Quote | Reply
I'm installing a new fh body (swapping out a Shimano for Campy) on a Ksyrium SSL SC. I'm pretty certain I've installed the pawls and springs properly, the freehub body went on fine over them and when I get it on it spins and freewheels fine. However, when I thread on the axle, before I even get it hand tightened, it locks the hub in place so it won't spin at all. I know you are supposed to tighten it down with an allen wrench on both sides, but I don't even get to that point. I have to leave the axle looser than I can even tighten down with little effort with one hand to allow the hub to spin.

The hub is fine - it worked fine with the Shimano body before I switched it. I have the spacer that goes on top of the nose of the body in place (even tried it with two but that didn't help) and the rubber bushing between the hub and the freehub body is there and looks to be centered properly.

Any ideas what I am missing here?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem installing Mavic freehub body [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it doing this with the cassette installed, or with it off? Because there is a spacer needed behind the cassette if you use a campy 11 speed freehub on an older mavic wheel. If you don't use the spacer, the inboard side of the largest cog can rub on the hub shell.

As well, just in case, here's the excerpt from the manual. I know you said you put the washer in and tried another, but that symptom is exactly what happens without the washer.

http://www.tech-mavic.com/...ocs/products/2_4.pdf

For the full set of Mavic service info go to:

www.tech-mavic.com

login: mavic-com
password: dealer
Last edited by: goodboyr: Oct 29, 11 15:48
Quote Reply
Re: Problem installing Mavic freehub body [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is before I ever put the cassette on. As soon as I thread in the axle it locks it down. It is a 10-speed freehub (ED-10) but an older wheel (I think an '04). So I might need to find the spacer to go under the cassette, but that is another issue I haven't gotten to yet. From reading that document (thanks for that - I had searched Mavic's site and the web and not been able to find anything from them officially) it looks like I did it just as they describe. Something's not right though. Seems like it must have something to do with that washer that goes inside the freehub body on the top of the hub. I'll keep playing around with it and see if I can figure anything out.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by gibson00 [ In reply to ]
Re: Problem installing Mavic freehub body [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well not sure what was wrong but I disassembled and tried again and I guess third time is a charm because now it is working fine. That washer must not have been seated in there properly or something. Now I need to figure out if I need a spacer behind the cassette. Have you used that Mavic link lately? When I click on the first link that is the freehub document I get it fine. But when I go to your second link and try to log in to the site it errors out:

Warning
: ocinlogon() [function.ocinlogon]: ORA-12541: TNS:no listener in F:\Extranet\tech-mavic\technical_manual\dyn\admin\open_mav.php on line 144

fonction-01 , Cannot connect to INET_PROD database.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is something about using certain browsers on that site. Try clearing your cache and cookies. Works fine for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Now I need to figure out if I need a spacer behind the cassette.

If you're using a Shimano cassette, yes, you'll need the thin spacer behind the cassette. SRAM, no.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem installing Mavic freehub body [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a Campy cassette. Switched to a Campy freehub. I've put the cassette on and it seems to be working OK - doesn't seem to be an issue on the largest cog with it being too close to the spokes. At least on the stand - haven't had it on the road yet under force of pedaling.
Quote Reply