Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, what are the crank arm lengths for the Medium and Large SHIV sizes?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you planning on utilizing the in frame storage technology in your mountain bikes and if so how much weed is expected to fit in there? I have some mountain biker friends that are wondering.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CakeWalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CakeWalk wrote:

The bike also ships with this kit:

I've read the new carbon handlebar will be made available seprately too. Any release date for it? And price? Also, will it ship with the same kit as pictured above?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for being so helpful on this forum. The bike looks very "beefy" I am a female-srong rider, but only 110 pounds so frame weight is important to me. Can you compare the weight of say a speed concept and P4 built up similarly? thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

Just wondering how wide the basebars are center to center.

Thanks

Arif Sidek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea about stack or reach, I was using a nose-cone size S shiv with 1,5cm of risers. What size do I need in the new shiv to get that same pad height?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Robert Driskell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Robert! Hope everything is going well at the shop. I haven't seen you out here in a while!

We will start releasing videos on "how to" after the Kona crunch is over.

Robert Driskell wrote:
How easy is it to refill the bladder during the ride? Any chance of a video on this process? Thanks guys for listening to the masses.

Chris R.
Specialized Bicycle Components
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [twomarks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Twomarks,

The stack chart does not take the height of the bar in to account. Even though the frame is slightly taller in stack to accommodate more real world athletes, the ability to run any bar and stem combination should help the flexible outliers like yourself. Make sure you are also taking in to consideration the stack of your current handlebar.

Thanks Twomarks

twomarks wrote:
Cakewalk,

Looking at the stack and reach information on the website - reach wise, the large is the frame for me, but my stack is 53.5 (3 centimeters lower than what is listed on the website). How much lower can the large go on it's stack?

Thanks,

twomarks

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [arif@beyondt2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arif, My size Medium is 42 center to center. I'll try to find out the widths on the other sizes this afternoon.

Thanks!

arif@beyondt2 wrote:
Hi Chris,

Just wondering how wide the basebars are center to center.

Thanks

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [sanderv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are making both the Carbon and Alloy bars available in the aftermarket. Both bars will have very minimal decals so they will not mess up the mojo of anyone's non specialized bikes.

We are trying to take care of our production needs before we start selling in the aftermarket. We want to make sure that a bike with as many parts as the Shiv is fully supported in our warehouses and dealers before we start selling the aerobars in the aftermarket. We are also looking and some VERY competitive prices. Until I can really confirm the prices though, I'll reserve our price plan.

We're working on it sanderv! I'm very excited to get that back out to the masses!

sanderv wrote:
I've read the new carbon handlebar will be made available seprately too. Any release date for it? And price? Also, will it ship with the same kit as pictured above?

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chris. I'm particularly interested in the XS size

Arif Sidek
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Cat, I just texted the demo guys at Kona to see if they could weigh the XS and S bikes.

My size medium weighs under 17.5lbs with pedals. When I get the other weights of the demo bikes I will let you know.

thanks Cat!

cat wrote:
Thank you for being so helpful on this forum. The bike looks very "beefy" I am a female-srong rider, but only 110 pounds so frame weight is important to me. Can you compare the weight of say a speed concept and P4 built up similarly? thank you.

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! Its just as well the Shiv Tri doesnt come with rear dropouts or urban fixie hipsters will be riding one with the integrated bong attachment!
On a more serious front I think huge kudos to Specialized for this bike. It seems like a lot of people here want something with integrated brakes and stem level with top tube, but Specialized have delivered a bike that has the aerodynamics of their former nosecone superbike, with wider fit options, easier service and you can get it for a bit over 3 grand for a complete bike! Think about it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a general Specialized question.....but something I would love to see on the Shiv....have you guys ever looked into a custom paint program ala "Project One" for consumers? I know Trek does their painting in house, so I wasn't sure if this was the only factor but curious whether this option has ever been explored and what the reasons for or against it would be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CakeWalk wrote:
We are making both the Carbon and Alloy bars available in the aftermarket. Both bars will have very minimal decals so they will not mess up the mojo of anyone's non specialized bikes.
Sounds good :-)
Looking at this picture
http://www.tririg.com/...ized_Shiv&num=29
will there be the option of a lower spacer that fits between the extension clamp and the base bar? So the extension sits as low as possible, at the expense of not getting much/any tilt adjust?
I think I'd need it to go that low, even with the low-profile stem......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CakeWalk wrote:
9) Yes, the bikes are equipped with 2 sleeves inside the frame. For bikes with cables the FD and the RD will go down on tube (The mega sewer tube) and the rear brake will go down its own hole. On Di2 and Ultegra Di2 bikes the control box esily fits down the mega sewer tube, while the rear brake is routed down its own separate hole. Cable routing on these bikes is incredible easy.

Hi, CakeWalk:
Thanks for all the great info. I'm trying to figure out if the 2012 Shiv TT module (UCI version) is indeed compatible with internal Di2 as stock. It looks like this can work (it was on some pro bikes), but I wonder if the version shipping to consumers requires any modifications. Does it use a similar "sewer" to the 2012 non-UCI version (or something else that would enable it to work)?

Do you know which Shimano Di2 cable kit is required? Looks like the battery is attached via the water bottle mount.

Thank you so much. If it's internal Di2 compatible, I'll order right now!

I'm capable of drilling/dremel-ing/soldering, but I wouldn't want to damage the frame in any way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Chris,

Any weight limits on the bike? I am a big guy (235#) built more like a linebacker than the typical triathlete. I'd be looking at the Large or XL frame. Thanks!

dusty

"slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [trifil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cranks on the Med and Large bikes are 172.5mm the XL bike gets 175mm.

Cheers

trifil wrote:
Also, what are the crank arm lengths for the Medium and Large SHIV sizes?

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Quote Mile,

A few years ago we actually "tested" program for custom paint. While it was a viable option, something that the end customer occasionally asked for, we had to think about who we really work for. The dealers that sell our product were in need product on time and lower in cost. The custom paint program took some time away from the general production of our frames and required more time in the design department.

While there were a few custom paint jobs that were tested in the market, we decided to scrap the program and reinvest the money back in to on time production of bikes that were all ready selling out of.

Alot of our dealers live and breath on being able to sell our bikes, if the supply chain shuts down... we let them down.

For now, the program is out, but in the future there are always possibilities! Thanks Quote!

mile2424 wrote:
Here's a general Specialized question.....but something I would love to see on the Shiv....have you guys ever looked into a custom paint program ala "Project One" for consumers? I know Trek does their painting in house, so I wasn't sure if this was the only factor but curious whether this option has ever been explored and what the reasons for or against it would be?

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [arif@beyondt2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear Arif, I'll try to hunt down the width on the XS in the morning!

arif@beyondt2 wrote:
Thanks Chris. I'm particularly interested in the XS size

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [carlosferreiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Carlos, There is certainly room to make the part you are talking about and it has certainly been kicked around.

Before we start work on the small aftermarket parts like that, we are trying to get all of the main support items in to the aftermarket (i.e extra bladders, and our onboard, integrated food and tool storage!!!).

carlosferreiro wrote:
CakeWalk wrote:
Sounds good :-)
Looking at this picture
http://www.tririg.com/...ized_Shiv&num=29
will there be the option of a lower spacer that fits between the extension clamp and the base bar? So the extension sits as low as possible, at the expense of not getting much/any tilt adjust?
I think I'd need it to go that low, even with the low-profile stem......

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear that tetonrider! I wouldn't want to damage it either!

It is possible but you need to cut and reconnect the shift cables.

I sent the guys in the R&D Bike Shop an email, I'll find the correct parts kit needed. What shop would you work with? There are a few shops out there that have already been doing this modification.

Cheers!

tetonrider wrote:
CakeWalk wrote:

9) Yes, the bikes are equipped with 2 sleeves inside the frame. For bikes with cables the FD and the RD will go down on tube (The mega sewer tube) and the rear brake will go down its own hole. On Di2 and Ultegra Di2 bikes the control box esily fits down the mega sewer tube, while the rear brake is routed down its own separate hole. Cable routing on these bikes is incredible easy.

Hi, CakeWalk:
Thanks for all the great info. I'm trying to figure out if the 2012 Shiv TT module (UCI version) is indeed compatible with internal Di2 as stock. It looks like this can work (it was on some pro bikes), but I wonder if the version shipping to consumers requires any modifications. Does it use a similar "sewer" to the 2012 non-UCI version (or something else that would enable it to work)?

Do you know which Shimano Di2 cable kit is required? Looks like the battery is attached via the water bottle mount.

I'm capable of drilling/dremel-ing/soldering, but I wouldn't want to damage the frame in any way.

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [wareagledusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey Dusty! One of the benefits of building a bike with this much carbon fiber... its stronger than a Mack truck.

The frame goes through some pretty unreal testing. For instance our pedal fatigue test for this bike (and many of our other carbon road frames.) applies over 1300nm of force to each "crank arm" in the frame for 100,000 cycles. That is around 30% more force than required by the CPSC.

Get out there and crush those Clydesdales!

wareagledusty wrote:
Hey Chris,

Any weight limits on the bike? I am a big guy (235#) built more like a linebacker than the typical triathlete. I'd be looking at the Large or XL frame. Thanks!

dusty

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CakeWalk wrote:
I hear that tetonrider! I wouldn't want to damage it either!

It is possible but you need to cut and reconnect the shift cables.

I sent the guys in the R&D Bike Shop an email, I'll find the correct parts kit needed. What shop would you work with? There are a few shops out there that have already been doing this modification.

Cheers!

tetonrider wrote:
CakeWalk wrote:

Hi, CakeWalk:

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it; the answer makes the difference for me in terms of a purchase.

I'll actually be doing the build myself. I've built up many frames and done an external di2 install (Tarmac SL3). I have to travel quite a bit for races, so I need to understand exactly how everything works as inevitably something will go wrong the night before a race, when I'm alone in a hotel room. I find the best way to understand the bike is to do the build from scratch. If I've installed the brakes and run the wiring, then -- for example -- it's very easy for me to fine tune the brakes after changing wheels. Nothing wrong with a shop doing the work, but for my situation and doing races unsupported, another approach works best for me.

Do you use the downtube battery mount or an under-the-seat mount? I'm open to either as if I flat during a TT my race is over. I can see how things are different for those doing long course triathlons.

Many thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris - thanks for your assistance here.

I've been trying to understand the differences between the various Shiv framesets - the S-Works module, the Pro frameset and the frameset on the Comp Rival and Expert Models.

As far as I can tell:
1/ the Pro frameset is the one on the Comp and Rival bikes
2/ the S-Works and the Pro framesets are identical except for the different grade of carbon

Is this correct? And what are the real-world differences between the S-Works and the Pro framesets, in terms of stiffness, aero, handling, etc?

I am trying to decide which one to get, and the website doesnt really provide this information.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Last edited by: guadzilla: Oct 10, 11 22:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next