Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CakeWalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Chris....do you know if the new pads/extensions/shims can be retrofitted to the nosecone Shiv?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, you are correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and my drag goes up about 75% between those two speeds
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rural] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I 2nd this question about cleaning the bladder ??
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [boilermaker_yv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The aerobar can not be retrofitted to the original Nosecone Shiv.

Since the brake is mounted to the inside of the original bike's nosecone you would need to have a new fork with brake bosses on it.

Thanks Boilermaker!

boilermaker_yv wrote:
Hey Chris....do you know if the new pads/extensions/shims can be retrofitted to the nosecone Shiv?

Chris R.
Specialized Bicycle Components
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Him, good but not exactly stellar then. I missed the 40kph speed first time I saw the graph.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course that is with two bottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer......I guess I'll have to do the ST oven surgery to swap the extensions to ski bend.

Thx pal.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jg326] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bladder can be easily removed from the frame. for cleaning just like a standard hydration bladder.

Also for cleaning the inside of the frame, while we haven't seen a problem or build up or residue yet, we took extra care with finishing the inside of the frame and the area around the bladder with very smooth sealed carbon to make sure that even the most acidic drink can easily be washed off without hurting the carbon on the inside of the frame.

We use an advanced style of carbon molding which uses an EPS (Styrofoam like in a helmet) mandrel coated with latex to help create the complex shapes in the bike while keeping smooth and consistent surface on the inside of the frame. We also use this style of molding in some of out other bikes like the Venge and Shiv TT due to their extreme tube profiles. Keeping tight toleances between the lay-up mandrel and the final shape means fewer wrinkles on the inside of the bike and fewer places for dried up and sticky drink mixes to hide.

I'm working on a video to show how to clean the bladders and frame. we'll post it in this thread when we get it.

thanks Rural

jg326 wrote:
I 2nd this question about cleaning the bladder ??

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
there is a drag chart in the photos in the link above comparing the new Shiv to the TT and nosecone versions plus the transition. Thankfully it looks like the 3 Shiv versions are close (as my Shiv TT is being built today!!)
yes, and it also makes me happy for the same reason! looks like my 2011 +nose is still in the runnin'!

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you looking for a ski bend for a nosecone shiv?

There are ski bends and straight extensions avaiable for the Nosecone Shiv as well. Have your local Specialized dealer call the warehouse.... we might still have some available.

Cheers.

boilermaker_yv wrote:
Bummer......I guess I'll have to do the ST oven surgery to swap the extensions to ski bend.

Thx pal.

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,
Why no 'bottle' bosses on the top tube for custom bolt-on bento pack storage options? These useful and versatile top tube bolt bosses are already available on the the trek speed concept, some of the new giant TT bikes, and will also be on some other upcoming (and very slippery) tri bikes. Why not on the tri version of the Shiv? I would imagine that adding them to an existing frame mold would not be a huge endeavor.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was told that those were patented
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm loving all of the integrated features that recognize the needs of typical riders.

Among these, the hydration bladder, and the between the bar gel storage/computer mount.

Along those lines, what are you all envisioning as the most aerodynamic method for carrying a flat kit? And why not have it as a built in feature like Trek's rear mounted speed box?

A cut up aero bottle mounted on the seat tube bottle bosses would probably work fairly well, but I have a hard time believing it would work better than something you all design with the frame opening in mind to mount in the same spot and do the same job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt those could be patented, bottle bosses have been used before in nearly every conceivable place on a frame. But I could be wrong. Got a patent or patent application number?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah...looks like the TT wins out from ~-8 to ~5 deg of yaw. That's fine by me for the majority of my racing that is in fairly calm conditions here in socal.

Definitely not enough of a difference to make me switch right away. I'm relieved.....

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i didn't ask that follow up, just asked the original to someone else

but i also determined I could not carry a bottle there anyway, as my knees would continually hit it
Last edited by: jeffp: Oct 5, 11 11:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boilermaker_yv wrote:

Thx pal.

you can also just dremmel of the original extensions, I did it like that
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twinracer2 wrote:

Quote:
there is a drag chart in the photos in the link above comparing the new Shiv to the TT and nosecone versions plus the transition. Thankfully it looks like the 3 Shiv versions are close (as my Shiv TT is being built today!!)

yes, and it also makes me happy for the same reason! looks like my 2011 +nose is still in the runnin'!

Actually...I'm somewhat surprised by that chart. One would think with the "unshackling" from having to abide by UCI rules that the 2012 Shiv would have been significantly faster than it's other Shiv brethren...

BTW, I'm only seeing about a 5W difference between the Shivs and the Transition at zero yaw...assuming that a Transition is "tied" with a P3C (we've seen data on that before) and recalling that the difference between a P3 and a P4 is about twice that amount...hmmm....

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [alvaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris R,

I'm having a hard time figuring out which size frame fits me. As a comparison, I've ridden only with Argon E-114 size S which felt like it was a good fit, but it has 20mm less stack and 26mm more reach than Shiv size S. Also Shiv's top tube is 31mm shorter, I'm not sure if that makes a big difference or not. Here's a snap of me on the Argon (yes, I'm aware I could have gone lower and probably the whole position is suboptimal). What I'm most concerned with is that will the extra stack on Shiv allow a proper amount of drop.

Here are my measurements:
Height 170cm (5'7")
Inseam 79.2cm (31.2")
Trunk 59.3cm (23.3")
Forearm 34cm (13.4")
Arm 66.5cm (26.2")
Thigh 59.3cm (23.3")
Lower leg 51.5cm (20.8")
Sternal notch 137.5cm (54.1")
Weight 72kg (159 pounds)

Should I go with size S or maybe even think about XS?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CAnderson_SBC wrote:
Yes the Shiv TT Module (http://www.specialized.com/...1101&scname=Road) will continue to be sold as the UCI legal Time Trail Bike. The SHIV is a triathlon specific platform.

What bike does Specialized recommend for the person who, if they want to do TTs, either has to always (i.e. basically EVERYWHERE, but the US) or occasionally (for some events in the US as well...for now) abide by UCI equipment rules?

The S-Works Shiv TT at a list price of $6100 for the frame module is a bit steeply priced for some...and please don't say the aluminum Shiv model. That's "P2K era" technology ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
twinracer2 wrote:

Quote:

Actually...I'm somewhat surprised by that chart. One would think with the "unshackling" from having to abide by UCI rules that the 2012 Shiv would have been significantly faster than it's other Shiv brethren...

BTW, I'm only seeing about a 5W difference between the Shivs and the Transition at zero yaw...assuming that a Transition is "tied" with a P3C (we've seen data on that before) and recalling that the difference between a P3 and a P4 is about twice that amount...hmmm....

my guess is that specialized try to make the new shiv more user friendly and adjustable while maintaining drag numbers, instead of making a super slippery bike which is a PITA to adjust and service, as the former nose-cone shiv.

that is enough for me to switch from the nose-cone to the new shiv, but I'm semi-sponsored and can do that at no cost so I'm biased in this decision. The new bike solves a lot of problems I had with the old one so if I can get that without aero cost I'm happy.

The extra drag at zero yaw could be caused by the side-pull front brake, but I'm sure it can be easily tinkered to a center pull
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

I agree Tom on one hand....but on the other it seems to me by the responses from Specialized, and well, by the bike itself, that they were going for a purely *functional* triathlon rig that was ~just as fast as the TT version.

I'm sure if they wanted to make a super non UCI bike, they could....it would just have too limited an audience. This bike speaks to both those that go fast and those that have no idea how to zip tie a cage between the bars....

ETA.....I guess I type too slow....lol....same response above.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team