Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon racing park?
Quote | Reply
Anybody seen this or heard anything about. Interesting concept but it kinda takes away the unpredictability of the course and conditions.

"Are you ready to see the future of triathlon?

You are part of a select group of triathletes in the United States that have been chosen to have an opportunity to view a groundbreaking new concept for the sport of triathlon.

If you are willing to view a short (2’ 40”) video and answer a few questions pertaining to that video, you will have a chance to win a new Trek Speed Concept tri bike as well as an all expenses paid trip to the grand opening of this facility. We promise that you’ll find the video very interesting and your responses will be held completely confidential.

In order to be eligible to win the grand prize, you must return (electronically submit) the survey.

Please follow the link below to see what the future holds and thank you in advance for your participation.

http://www.eventsresponse.com/...s/2011TriFuture.html

Best regards,

Marc Melkerson
CMO
Events Response"

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon racing park? [sniper100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this has potential to host big time races. with the spectator friendly course i could see a WCS itu race at this venue. good idea

Call of Duty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be great for short training camps.

Night racing would be sweet too...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. I thought I saw the Texas flag there at the end of the video. I would love to see this developed. Unique idea actually. Could be rented out for various training groups too.

http://jmassieblog.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I could see it being good for training camps and local racing series etc. Being able to pull something like that off successfully seems like a huge gamble though.

------------------------------
Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting. I completed the survey.

This may be the way to go, imo, for the folks who come to cheer on their family and friends who participate in the events. I don't see a lot of triathlons very "spectator friendly," when it comes to the swim, bike and run. Unless the bike and run are on a looped course that one does several times, a family member or friend would only see you during T1 and T2 and at the finish line.

Maybe this is why other sports, like football, baseball, soccer and NASCAR are very popular with the masses. These are all contained in a confined space. I think something like a half or full ironman is a bit boring for the people who come to watch. They might only see you for a few brief seconds during the event, then watch you disappear for another bike or run loop. Then, they have to wait awhile before you come around again.

The current set up has your family and friends spending a lot of time waiting for you to complete each portion of the event. If they could only see more of the course and the event unfold in "real time."
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon racing park? [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - I took it as well (I suppose I'd accept a Speed Concept to replace my 10 year old Raleigh). I said that adding some kid stuff (beach/ playground/ etc.) would be beneficial.

I wonder where they'd put it. I suppose you'd want a decently long season of good weather, not too much winter or killer heat. California? High concentration of $ and triathletes, good weather.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon racing park? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
- I took it as well (I suppose I'd accept a Speed Concept to replace my 10 year old Raleigh).

Lol! The truth is, I took the survey for a chance at that SC. However, I would help Trek boost their profit margin by saying how the SC helped me to save my legs for the run, etc, etc.

MI_Mumps wrote:
I suppose you'd want a decently long season of good weather, not too much winter or killer heat. California? High concentration of $ and triathletes, good weather.

Agreed. If their purpose is to make this more spectator friendly, and to get the most use out of it, it would have to be in area that has relatively mild weather year to year, if that can be had in today's current climate of natural disasters.

For the survey, I chose safety as one of the main reasons why I'd race on this course. That is, it's COMPLETELY closed off to traffic. I don't ever see even one vehicle getting on this course by "accident" and taking out someone on their bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be absolutely stunned if anyone could figure out how to make the financials work.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon racing park? [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron Buckeye wrote:
I would be absolutely stunned if anyone could figure out how to make the financials work.

Agreed. But as long as it isn't my money, I'd like to see them try to build Tri-sneyland!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took the survey. I'm a little nervous about the pricing options in relation to 'other high profile races'. I paid $600 for an Ironman. Are you guys thinking that a shorter distance race will be around that price? (Not that I'm complaining, just curious)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember the company that owned (or still owns) Bicycling Magazine tried out a similar idea for a Cycling & Fitness Center maybe 25 years ago. I think it was in the PA area, not sure what ever happened with it, but the idea is not new.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon racing park? [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron Buckeye wrote:

I've thought about this quite a bit and would give up my commitment in the Navy today (well, maybe not) and run it if I could get it to work.

To be financially viable, it would probably have to operate as mixed use. E.g. water parks can be pretty profitable in the right locations/climates. Run it as a water park 6 days a week and races scheduled on Sundays. Or water park 7 days a week, close at 3 on Saturdays, with a Saturday night race at 7(?). Separate area for jet ski rental/use? With the size needed for the loop, you could probably squeeze in at least a 9-hole golf course, baseball/softball diamonds, etc. Now we can dub it some sort of "Multisport Complex".

Another option: partner with a University or High school and build it around their campus. Their sports teams use it and the green space inside (athletic fields), subsidized by the local community/university/school system.

Shoot, even make it a Formula 1 type race track, w/ a water park in the middle. Now you have water park 6 days a week, auto races couple night per week and occasional weekend or cooler weather, and du's/tri's one weekend day every couple weeks.

Anyone want to go in and get this started??? lol...maybe not.

Quote | Reply
I was also kind of amazed at the concept and I see it as a mixed bag, some good pluses but also some major minuses. I posted about it earlier, and it got mixed feedback. Link to ST thead here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3499150

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon racing park? [ATL Dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw the flag as well, could be a NC flag though which would be ok by me since that's my state!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to see something like this open up. Triathlons can be spectated but you have to put some work into it. I would love for my wife to be able to sit back with the kids and enjoy the day without have to run all around creation trying to spectate.

"Sometimes you got to learn to hurt"
Quote Reply