Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race
Quote | Reply
The goal of this thread is not to see how has the most power, nor the biggest penis. It is to assess efficiency: i.e., to see who has the most efficient penis.
Please include the following information

NOTE: Please include data only from TT's where the start elevation was similar to the finish. No hill climbs, or downhill races!

1) Average watts
2) Average speed in MPH
3) Distance
4) Rider weight
5) Describe bike and wheels
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

I'll go first:

1) 249 watts
2) 21.0 mph
3) 16 miles
4) 170 lbs
5) Cervelo P2C, Hed Jet 90 front, Wheelbuilder disk cover rear
6) This is actually a pretty bad data point because the course was very hilly, always going either up or down, sometimes at 8%, and it was raining. And my legs were shot from the week before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESULTS!

Here's a scatter plot of the data in this thread. I will update the google doc periodically and this will auto update

Raw Data and Interactive plot

Excel screen shot that's not updated as often (because uploading pics here is a pain)

----------------------------
UPDATE: AHare created more up to date graphs as of 8/12/2012 in this thread.

AHare wrote:
I collected all the data from the "post your watts and speed from your last race" thread and made a new chart, since the last one was last updated on like page 3 of the thread.

Here's a chart mapping from watts/kg to speed in mph. Big thing to note is just how fast it is possible to go on 4W/kg, with the right equipment and setup.

Here's one going from raw watts to speed, which is more spread out, since tiny, skinny people can go really fast on relatively fewer watts, and bigger, barndoorish people like myself can put out a ton of watts but still not go fast:

Raw data is here, along with the more-interactive chart data:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap-T5i2jNxCQdFB3djB2Tl9zWEdCN0p4VkxZdXJrTHc
Last edited by: matto: Aug 12, 12 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Camp Pendleton Sprint tri

Average power--233 watts
Average speed--25.5 mph
Distance--about 19 miles
Notes--the course is all rolling hills. Not big hills, but almost no flat at all. Sea breazes vary there. This last one seemed pretty mild.

You should add rider weight and bike/wheel combo. That is kind of important.

Rider weight--152 pounds
Bike/wheel--Yaqui Mariola, wheelcover rear, front Flashpoint 60 with old Aerowing TT tire.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Saved for later.
Last edited by: matto: Aug 25, 11 19:21
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:

Average power--233 watts
Average speed--25.5 mph

Holy smokes. This strikes me as pretty damn efficient. Any pictures of your fit?
Last edited by: matto: Aug 25, 11 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 309W
2) 44.7km/h
3) 17.4km
4) 179lbs
5) P4, HED3D and Mavic Comete, full disco kit
6) Local TT, loop course, mostly flat 24m elevation gain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We could also list 100 other things, but if it gets too long no one will bother. Let's keep it short.

I was making ST assumptions that people in the know would be wearing very tight clothing, have a clean set-up, be wearing an aero helmet, be using latex tubes and so forth.

I get enough odd looks in transition; I don't need to add ST ridicule to that. Think the Obree egg and you will be there.

Chad

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arizona City Cotton Classic TT

1) 287 watts
2) 25.61 mph (29:07)
3) 20k
4) 203 lbs
5) Cervelo P2C, wheelbuilder cover rear, Easton Vista SL front. Evo CX tires with Michelin latex tubes. See profile for picture.
6) Flat course, straight out and back
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rmcboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmcboy wrote:
1) 309W
2) 44.7km/h
3) 17.4km
4) 179lbs
5) P4, HED3D and Mavic Comete, full disco kit
6) Local TT, loop course, mostly flat 24m elevation gain.

Interesting

1) 310w
2) 40.4km/h
3) 167lbs at the time.
5) P2, Hed Jet 6 & 9.
6) Local TT, out&back, flat, bit of wind (15km/h)

http://connect.garmin.com/...2#.TlbE2JmqV_s.email

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 155 avg, 167NP
2) Average speed 20.11mph
3) Distance 56 Miles
4) Rider weight 145lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels Cannondale Slice, SRAM S60 wheels, Zipp tangent tires, butyl tubes
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of - from Timberman 70.3 last weekend on zero taper while training for my first ironman. Coming off my largest build period ever with my first 200+ mile week. Is that enough excuses?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
The goal of this thread is not to see how has the most power, nor the biggest penis. It is to assess efficiency: i.e., to see who has the most efficient penis.

Please include the following information

1) Average watts 171W (Quarq at the crank)
2) Average speed 21.6 mph
4) Rider weight 158 lb (Height 73")
5) Describe bike and wheels Titanflex, Simkins brakes, hidden flat kit, torpedo bottle, pre-C2 HED Jet 6/Jet Disk, Bonty Aero TT 19mm tires, Mich Latex tubes
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero Pearl Octane speed suit, LG rocket, data from flat out and back segment under windless conditions.

Calculated CdA: .241 m^2

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Aug 25, 11 15:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thread idea. In another thread, someone suggested the ratio of Watts / Speed^2.7 to quantify in a single number a rider's efficiency. Based on my collected data for my own rides, it looks like it actually works pretty well.

This is the data for my ride which scores the best in the Watts/Speed^2.7 ratio.
1) 293
2) 22.85mph
3) 17.3 miles
4) 180lbs
5) Road Bike. Box rims. Cheap clincher tubes.
6) No excuses. I'm not good at aero stuff at the moment.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 198 watts
2) 22.3 mph
3) 25 miles
4) 185 lbs
5) Cervelo P2C, Hed Jet 60 front, Hed Jet 90 rear with Wheelbuilder disk cover, powertap
6) Windy crowded out and back course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
369 watts
2hr 4min
55mi
172lbs
BH Rc1 road with Lightweight Wheels

9 x 6.1mi lap circuit race.

About 300 feet of climbing per lap...... Hard day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 252 watts
2) 20.0 mph
3) 22.3 miles
4) 150 lbs
5) Trex TTX, wheelcover on PT, H3
6) Rolling hills.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm...care to post a picture of your position? At your weight, with that power output, you should go a lot faster, unless it was a really rough road.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
369 watts
2hr 4min

Duuude! :)

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year's best 25 mile ride on the club course.

1) 289 watts
2) 25.7 mph
3) 25 miles
4) 176 lbs
5) Cervelo P2C, Zipp808 front, Wheelbuilder disk cover rear
6) Not very flat as TT courses go but not a hilly, light winds but very exposed and a heavy road surface
edit: 7) Picture link

Last edited by: carlosferreiro: Aug 27, 11 4:12
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait a minute! That's 54.9 miles!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) AP 210 (NP 216, VI 1.02)

2) 24.5

3) HIM

4) 139.7

5) Clean '06 P2-SL, Vision cockpit, one Arundel aero bottle (seat tube), standard brakes etc...HED3 front w/VF Record & latex, covered training wheel rear w/VF Record & latex (search forum for pics)

6) Last zero offset was around 6:15am, race start 6:34am, no chance to offset during...temp min 17 deg C, max 26. Last recalibration was several months prior to the race. I'm not a powerful dude...I've never cracked 900W, but yes I did hit 700+ in this race trying to drop someone (unsuccessfully). My last tri was in January btw, not August. Post #155 for details on the course

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 268
2) 26.1
3) 40.5k TT

4) 184 lbs
5) It's not about the bike right?
6) Was shooting for 290-300 watts - had a really bad day.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Hmm...care to post a picture of your position? At your weight, with that power output, you should go a lot faster, unless it was a really rough road.

Road was actually pretty good.

Here is the position it was done with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aFZvKWG3pQ

All suggestions welcome, except the ones about tidying up the condo. I get enough of those from the wife.

One other thing is I am crap at maintaining my drive train......I clean the chain and lube it now and then, but could do a much better job. Not sure how much that has to do with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AP 246
24.7mph
24.8 Miles (40K TT)
163lbs
2012 Shiv Jet 9 x Jet disc
15 seconds shy of breaking an hour...dammit!

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team