Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not?
Quote | Reply
Curious as to what others think about the various insoles available. Will they make my 26.2 mile run more comfortable or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That all depends on your foot and which inserts you're talking about. Do you have foot and lower leg problems while running?

Bottom line- the inserts that come in shoes are junk, they do almost nothing. If you're wearing the right shoes, and you don't have injury issues, you shouldn't need anything extra. If your feel are feeling beat up, are our shoes still good, or do then need to be replaced? All of the cushioning in the shoe is in the midsole, new squishy insoles will only mask a worn out shoe.

IME, the only insoles that are worth anything are products like Superfeet, that have an actual supportive plate in them. And those are only really useful if you're an overpronator (which, statistically, 70%+ of you are).
Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hated Superfeet when I first tried them some years back.

Went the custom route with little luck.

Tried Superfeet again and they've saved me and allowed me to do what running I can.

When I put on a pair of shoes with the stock insole I can immediately tell how deficient they are. All the support of a pillow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question. I run with probably one of the most cushioned training shoes out there (Asics Nimbus), and I still always replace the insole with a Sorbothane Ultra insole every time I buy a new pair. I know it gets expensive, but I like the extremely cushioned feel when training. Just don't forget to trim the insole first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say, everyone has different feets, taking these variations into account superfeet makes different types of designs to fit differently shaped feet for all types of activities and sports. Superfeet are different from most insoles because they are firm, not soft and cushy. Specially if you wear shoes you can benefit from the superfeet. If you have foot, leg, hip or back problems you can probably benefit from the superfeet insoles
Last edited by: Linda.Golden68: May 10, 12 20:55
Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [RFXCrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RFXCrunner wrote:
That all depends on your foot and which inserts you're talking about. Do you have foot and lower leg problems while running?

Bottom line- the inserts that come in shoes are junk, they do almost nothing. If you're wearing the right shoes, and you don't have injury issues, you shouldn't need anything extra. If your feel are feeling beat up, are our shoes still good, or do then need to be replaced? All of the cushioning in the shoe is in the midsole, new squishy insoles will only mask a worn out shoe.

IME, the only insoles that are worth anything are products like Superfeet, that have an actual supportive plate in them. And those are only really useful if you're an overpronator (which, statistically, 70%+ of you are).

Superfeet and Sole are really good if someone has problems.

There are some "junky" inserts (Dr. Scholls gel something and the like) that work well enough for me in daily footwear by adding just a little lift under my arch. But they wouldn't be good enough for much running unless the correction needed was very very minimal - they compress too much to do much.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several factors. My personal opinion is that they are not necessary for me. And I can't tell you the number of times I've had staff at running shops try to sell me on the necessity. It's like an automatic thing with them. When I worked at a shoe store (long before Superfeet existed), there was an emphasis on "combo sales" -- socks, shoe laces, sweat bands, whatever. Milk more money out of the customer. And I seriously doubt that practice has ended. More likely it's just shifted (from $2.50 socks to $25 inserts).

Also, if all that insert is doing is allowing you to relieve a weakness/imbalance, masking it so that you end up more damaged later, I'd call it all but malpractice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's no correct answer to that question. Think of the shoe and insert/insole as a combination product. The end goal is to create a shoe that works with your biomechanics and feet. Solving that equation can be a mystery all in itself but for some people inserts are a godsend and for others, hell, they could run barefoot and be fine.

There are two types of inserts, cushioned and orthotic/arch support type, the latter being what you're probably asking about as they actually try to change the biomechanics of your body.

Orthotic type inserts may do a lot of things.
- They might add arch support to counter a collapsing arch as your foot pronates (which some people might point out mainly collapses because of the excess rigidity of the shoe you're wearing but that's another whole minimalist argument).
- They may add torsional support, resistance to the shoe twisting from the ball of the foot to the heel
- They may stiffen up the shoe so that it flexes primarily at the ball of the foot versus the midfoot
- They may support and help to spread the metatarsal heads via metatarsal "button"
- They may add more cushioning
- They may just feel good, it feels damn good to have a high arch in a lot of my shoes

You basically look at what the shoe you're currently wearing lacks and use the orthotic to get to the point you need. For instance, personally although I LOVE my Saucony Kinvara's and Nike Lunar Racers as everyday trainers, realistically I'm not at the point yet where I can pull it off day in and day out without plantar fasciitis and calf issues. I can either go to a mild stability shoe or else I'll often go with a lightweight shoe and stack a Superfeet orthotic in there to add a bit more support and stability. If I was to add the Superfeet to an already more stable shoe I end up with two much pronation control and end up Supinating like crazy. It's all additive, amount of support/stability/cushioning/whatever that the shoe give you PLUS the amount of support/..../whatever that the insert gives you.

Some people find by experimentation that they can only get the combination of support/features/whatever by going with an shoe+insole combo. Others can do just a shoe.

There are a lot of times when I'd say that inserts are definitely a good idea at least as a short term fix. Many will point out that many of these issues stem from a flexibility or strength deficiency somewhere else in the body and would be better fixed by treating the cause versus the result. Honestly, most of us aren't going to be that proactive (kinda like should I do an extra 5k in the pool every week or should I just upgrade my wheels...) though and hence, inserts.

Inserts are a great fix for:
-sudden flare ups of plantar fasciitis
-making a shoe that you love the fit of but won't quite work for your needed level of support, work
-someone who overpronates like crazy due to their arch flattening out during the footstrike
-other random reasons

Anyways, try them out, if you like the feel buy them. Remember that it's shoe plus orthotic that counts though. You may end up with an insert in one shoe and not in another.

I think that Running Store employees for the most part try to do the right thing by recommending orthotics to most people. I've been there, done that. You've got a customer who should really be doing strength work to build up their hip abductors so that their knee doesn't drop in causing to much pronation. Good luck trying to convince them of that in the store. But throw them in a mild stability shoe with a pair of Superfeet or whatever and hey, presto, their footstrike is back to almost normal!
Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some really great info in your post.

I had no idea that pronation might be the result of weak abductors. I believe I have some more exercises to add to my regimen.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had an issue about 3 months ago where i would get severe outside knee pain within 10 minutes of running. First PT i saw assumed it was IT band/tight hip issues and we worked to free all of that up but nothing changed over a month. Found another PT who just finished IMAZ here and first thing he did was analyze my running form noticed an overpronation sent me to get superfeet and i went twice as far on my first run. they have worked really well for me and i continue to use them as i am strengthening my intrinsic foot muscles and improving my kneecap and hip flexibility at the same time. they have been a huge help for me and I intend to continue using them. I run in asics ds trainers which are a lighter shoe to use for IM distance training so using the superfeet balances all that out.

So I think they can be helpful as a supplement but not a crutch. Use them to help treat your symptoms or as preventive maintenance but make sure to address any root causes you may have.
Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [bluepoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
remember, I said "might" be. One check on hip abductor strength is to try and do a one legged squat. hold the non active leg kinda dangling behind you and try to go down to 90 degrees on the active leg without the knee dropping in and without craning the rest of your body wildly to prevent it from dropping in;) Funny thing is that I went to therapy, strength training, etc for 9-10 weeks trying to strengthen this problem up. I could barely do one squat in a controlled manner. None of that helped. Got ART therapy from a friend of mine and one visit later... smooth controlled straight tracking knee squats. Obviously, I've been an ART disciple ever since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased custom orthotics when I had knee problems, and the orthotics worked great to eliminate the problem.

Over time, everyones arch will start to collapse, and depending on the person it will create different problems. Most store bought generic insoles will support one of your arches in your foot, custom orthotcis will support all of your arches (3?).

KP

"Make friends with pain and you will never be alone" Ken Chlouber
Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [CapnMols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar situation. I was having pain below my kneecap and outside my knee when running a couple years back. I went to the PT who had me 1) start stretching my IT band religiously, and 2) start wearing Sore Dawg insoles in my running shoes. I found that these both helped significantly, although I cannot attribute it to one over the other. However, I would recommend the Sore Dawgs ("competitor" model) if you're in the market for insoles. I've been using them ever since and would not go back to the stock insoles.
Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [kapfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>Over time, everyones arch will start to collapse, and depending on the person it will create different problems.

There's some mythology there. Most "collapsed" arches never collapsed. The bulk of us were born this way.

And I haven't found any scientific data suggesting higher incidence of injury for the flat-footed. There's some data suggesting the opposite.
Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant that most people with high arches will "slightly" collapse over time, rather than a full collapse. I have very high arches, and although they "slightly" collapsed, they are no were near flat feet.

I agree that there is no evidence that flat footed people are more prone to injury. I am a real life example (among many) that people with high arches can overpronate and be subjected to injuries.

KP

Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [kapfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>I meant that most people with high arches will "slightly" collapse over time, rather than a full collapse.

Agree - there are conditions that can be effectively treated with orthotics or other devices. No argument there.

My point was only that there's a perception that having flat feet is, in itself, a problem. Not necessarily.

This is the sort of thing you hear at some shoe stores - "You have flat feet, you need this insert." I was forever turned off to one shoe store cough - RoadRunner -cough when I got a glimpse in their back room and saw a big white board tallying how many SuperFeet each salesperson had sold that day. Nice - really looking out for the best interests of their customers.
Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that surprises you? companies push promotions for their shoes all the time with contests and incentives.
Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>that surprises you? companies push promotions for their shoes all the time with contests and incentives.

Yes, because my soul is as pure as driven snow, and I have an innate trust in the general goodness of people.

Edit: And this is more than just salespeople pushing a promotion. They're getting very close to being almost completely untrained people doling out something very close to medical advice, e.g. "You pronate a little, so you need to fix it with this..."
Last edited by: trail: Jan 9, 12 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the walk fit insoles that are on the tv infomercials.

I get them on Ebay $4 each. Have them in all my shoes and ski boots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kapfast wrote:
Over time, everyones arch will start to collapse, and depending on the person it will create different problems.

There are many, MANY people who have thrown out their orthotics, gone barefoot, actually STRENGTHENED their feet, and have arches where none existed prior.

I call total BS on your statement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a PT who sells Vasyli orthotics. They are customized to your feet and only cost about $75.
http://www.vasylimedical.com/
Quote Reply
Re: After market running shoe inserts (insoles), worth it or not? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply! I stand corrected.... I never new you could create arches in flat feet.

Always learning new crap from this forum.......

I'm sure the Dr. I went to had a vested interest in selling me custom orthotics, and they did work to eliminate the problem. However, it would have been nice to know about some exercises to strengthen the foot to help my situation.

KP

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks seeing as this is a old post but I was gonna ask the same thing and still a bit confused can i just ask should i buy the £10 Gel arch support insoles or a pair of £100 custom ones?
I always no matter how i run get foot cramp and its so annoying I am never gonna be able to complete a triathlon at this rate.. noway! Has anyone got any suggestions on what insoles i should be buying? I found those ones on the nuovahealth website which look okay... will they be?

Hello!
Last edited by: cycleandrunner: Aug 28, 13 2:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not necessary if you run with proper form. Check out the 'good form running' videos on New Balance's website.
Quote Reply