Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bleached very light blonde - will my hair really turn green??
Quote | Reply
I just recently died my hair very light blonde, and someone pointed out that it might now go green if I swim regularly in chlorinated pools. I am hoping this is actually not the case, but if so what can I do to prevent it?! I wet my hair in the shower before swimming, wear a swim cap, and wash my hair thoroughly right after. Are there any other tips/tricks that I should bear in mind so my hair doesn't go putrid as I increase my pool time?!

Thanks!

Morgan
Quote Reply
Re: bleached very light blonde - will my hair really turn green?? [mrak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not blond, but I've heard people say to wet your hair and then also throw on some conditioner before putting on your swim cap to further protect your hair. Though it seems to me that your swim cap might be more likely to slide off. Worth a try though, maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: bleached very light blonde - will my hair really turn green?? [mrak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've been bleached light blonde for 14 years now - the one and only time it went green was due to improperly managed chemicals in a hotel hot tub, and i lodged a complaint with management.

unless the pools you're swimming in are really messed up, there will be no problem. if your hair does go green, find another pool, because who knows what else is wrong with the water?

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I've been in the pool the day after having my hair lightened (with a bleaching product) and not had a problem. I read somewhere that the issue of hair turning green had to do with pipes that the water flows through and not the actual chemicals in the pool. Anyway, I agree that if you swim in a pool that would turn your hair (or anything else) a different colour there is something seriously wrong with that pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i swam competitively as a kid and the blonds had greenish hair and my dark brown hair even had greeninsh tint on the highlighted areas. YMMV.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: bleached very light blonde - will my hair really turn green?? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember having green hair through most of my childhood. Something about the pool chemicals back then.

It doesn't happen any more. I haven't had green hair in years, but now it's mostly grey so that could be why.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sister is a very good Aveda hairstylist, and her advice to anyone, blonde or not, to at the very least wet the ends of the hair thoroughly before a swim...that way the follicle doesn't soak up the pool's water. Also, she has gotten me hooked on Moroccan hair oil! Use a dab after shampoo/condition and your hair is so silky and I see less breakage with this product.
Quote Reply
Re: bleached very light blonde - will my hair really turn green?? [jocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a question, since people keep mentioning "wet your hair first", though i'm honestly not sure i want to hear the answer..

don't you shower (at least a rinse) before getting in the pool anyway? it's a health regulation up here in canuckistan!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
A lot of people rinse with the swim cap on. It's easier to put the cap on over dry hair, so most folks put cap on and then shower.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: bleached very light blonde - will my hair really turn green?? [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that seems to defeat the purpose of rinsing off hair products that lead to poor water/air quality, but i suppose i shouldn't be surprised that some people don't have others' best interests in mind. appreciate the explanation :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I don't rinse my hair when I shower before swimming, but I also don't take my cap off again until I'm in the shower after my workout.
Quote Reply
Re: bleached very light blonde - will my hair really turn green?? [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless you use soap/shampoo or at least water with a something to scrub then it doesn't really work/matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

I am a hairstylist who happens to have a number of "pool junkies" that regularly get their hair highlighted.

I tell them (and my redheads as well) that yes, the pool can bleach your hair (its chlorine bleach in that water) so you need to do a few preventative steps to make sure your hair stays strong with repeated exposure and that you don't go broke having to get constant salon treatments such as toners and low lights.

The easiest is to take a good leave in hair masque and lightly run it through your mid-shaft and ends then put your cap on and go swim, then when you get out of the pool and go shower you just rinse it and any residual chlorine out of your hair. Another good alternative is using some form of treatment oil (my clients use DermOrganic Argan treatment oil) and again make sure to rinse your hair well after swimming.

In all honesty, it is more likely that blondes will become more blonde or their highlights will lose any color or depth than you are to gain a green cast (esp if you are wearing a cap) it is actually more likely that deep brunettes and redheads will get dull and flat looking due to the chemicles.

Oh and stay away from post swim shampoo's they are the diluted equivilant of Tide or Dawn and will only strip your hair of any natural oils you have left.

I am an avid cyclist who is also the co-owner and buyer for Low Country Multisport a performance specific F.I.S.T. certified fit studio and repair shop in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. And, I just happen to be married to a retired Marine who is completely addicted to the iron distance. "lord help my wallet!!"
Quote Reply