Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here!
Quote | Reply
As you may remember, about 5 weeks ago we posted here, soliciting those who were interested in trying Aqua Sphere's Kayenne swim goggle. I wrote a review of this goggle a year ago, when it was newly introduced, and in the intermin Aqua Sphere wanted to broaden this to a Slowtwitch User Review.

Applicants were chosen, goggles were sent out, and now, after a few weeks of swimming, let's have the users tell the Slowtwitch community how those goggles performed. Tell us what you liked; what you didn't like; preferably versus other goggles with which you're familiar. It may also be instructive to know whether the Kayenne will now become your everyday goggle for general swim use.

Post your reviews on this thread.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jun 22, 11 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was not part of the study, but I bought a pair of kayennes to compaire to my aquaspher Kaiman's. I liked the Kayenne's - felt no additional drag and they gave slightly better visability than the Kaimans. But the fit on the kayennes was not quite right for my face and I got a very slight amount of water leaking in. Really nice goggles, but not quite right for my face. The Kaimans I love and if I have a big race like an Ironman or Alcatraz, I generally buy myself a new pair for the race and wear them brand new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am not in the study but only use the kayenne, i have about 4 pairs of them, great visability

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Kayenne based soley upon your review. I got the clear set with the blue lens.

First off, this is a comfortable set of goggles. The head shape is spot-on. The lens are in the right location to give a superb view of the water. The head band was a little difficult to adjust compared to, say, a bike helmet, but on-par with similar goggles in that price range. The head band once adjusted was very secure, and comfortable on the head. I still prefer a single strap, a'la scuba goggles, but dual straps seem to be preferred for swimming, and this was no exception. Fogging was not an issue for me, and the clarity of the lens was second to none.

However, the nose piece was too wide and unadjustable. No matter how tight I pulled the goggles, water would still leak in. I tried and tried to fix this, because otherwise I really liked these goggles. But, no. I eventually gave them to a friend with a more normal nose bridge, and he enjoys them quite a bit. (BTW, for comparison, Speedo's Air Seal XR has a small nose piece provided with the goggles that fits perfectly.)

One other complaint was that the goggles protruded from my face further than a standard set of goggles. I doubt that this would actually hinder swim performance, but it might mean the goggles would be easier to knock off in the churn of swim start.

So: in a nutshell - great goggles, definitely worth the money, IF they fit.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my first time reviewing something so hopefully it turns out okay.

I guess I'll start with a little background info. I'm 19 and I've been swimming competitively since I was 10 or 11. My goggles of choice are swedes. I've used them since I was a freshman in high school and haven't used anything since. Before then I've used all sorts of goggles, like speedo vanquishers and speed sockets and a bunch of others. I wear swedes because I like the low profile-ness and it fits my face. I have a bit of a big nose and most nose pieces dig into my nose. In fact I actually have a scar on my nose from the nose pieces digging in. Speedo vanquishers are probably the worst goggles I've used not only because they dig into my nose but because they break easily. It seems like every time someone on my team breaks their goggles its always vanquishers.

Alright so now onto the Kayennes. Aqua Sphere sent both the small fit and regular fit. My first impression was something along the lines of 'wow, these look nice.' I opened the small fit first just to verify that they wouldn't fit me, but to my surprise they fit quite nice. I tired on the the regular and it fit nice too, so I ended up bringing both of them to the pool.

I had to swim with both of them a few times to decide which one I like better and to my surprise I actually preferred the small fit. The regular feels too big but that may also be because I'm used to swedes which is about as low profile as goggle get. The small fit didn't feel small though. It just seemed like a low profile version of the regular. The regular did have greater visibility but not by much.

The Kayennes have the best adjustability of any goggles I've ever used. You just push a little button on the side and pull the strap. It's so nice. You can even do it while you are wearing them. I don't really know how else to describe it. I really, really like it though.

The goggles themselves are really comfortable and they don't dig into my nose like other goggles.

The only problem I have with them is that they are a little blurry underwater, but only for a short distance, like looking at the bottom of the pool or swimming up to the wall. At first it really bugged my but I got used to it and it didn't really bother me after a while. It's perfectly clear when you're above water or looking across the pool while underwater. It won't be a problem in a triathlon since you can't see underwater anyways. I do wear contacts so maybe that might have something to do with it, but it doesn't happen in other goggles.

I got to race with them a few days ago in a sprint. It was raining so I didn't to test how they do in sunlight, which to me is important because all the races I do are looking into the sun on the way back. Other than that they were perfectly fine. I am going to wear them in all my races from now on because they don't let in as much light as my swedes and they are rubber instead of plastic so if I get kicked in the eye it won't hurt as nearly as bad. Plus I can adjust them in like 2 seconds which is nice.

I don't think they will replace my swedes for pool swimming though. I really like the visibility of swedes and everything else feels claustrophobic to me. I'll probably be switching back in forth a lot.

pros:
awesome adjustability
comfortable
good visibility
great for open water

cons:
blurry when looking underwater at stuff close to you

I think I covered everything. If I think of more I'll add it later. Feel free to ask any questions. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of kayennes about 2 months ago. I had kaimans before that I loved and fit perfectly, but the strap broke. I figured the kayennes would be a nice follow up. I like the aesthetics of the goggle a lot, and the adjustment is very easy, but like you I find they leak slightly on the outside right--not enough to see water sloshing around on the inside of the goggle but enough to feel the water against my cheek. I'll keep them for a while longer but may have to switch back to kaimans. In general, I like the soft rubber frame and seal a lot, and the field of vision is great.

Quote | Reply
I am not in the study but I bought the Aqua Sphere Kayenne goggle (silver w/smoke lens) back in September after seeing Bruce Gennari in them at a race. It's been my only goggles ever since; through three pool workouts per week, a few open water workouts, and one sprint race. The smoke lens works well in indoor pool lighting as well as open water and racing.

I do get comments about the Batman-like look but they are very comfortable (sits over the eye sockets) and they have worked well for me, so far. My only negative is the higher price but at nearly 9 months of regular use, it appears that I'm getting good durablility as well.

I've never noticed the vision issue Slowman mentioned. I do wear corrective glasses (nearsighted) so maybe I just didn't notice.

Yes, I will buy another set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Kayenne looks great, feels great and is fine for about 50 meters. Then it leaks by my left cheek bone. I have a big nose(regal) and this can sometimes be a problem. No matter what I did they leaked when I would breathe left. Would love to have a pair with a slightly wider flange at the cheek. Ed T MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in the study either.

I finally settled on these as the only goggle that fits my face well, does not cut the bridge of my nose with a poorly-designed piece of hard plastic between the two lenses, and does not leak. They're all I use now, and I just got 2 more in the mail this week, to keep them "in stock" at home; since the local shops carry mostly TYR and Speedo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was chosen for the study and about 2.5 weeks after selection I received both the small and regular fit goggles. My swim background: grew up swimming with neighborhood swim team, but minus some occasional lap sessions in college, didn't really start swimming again until the winter of 2007 when I decided to do triathlons. At that time, and until this study, the only goggles I had found that fit my face were the Speedo Vanquishers. However, I have gone through several sets of them as the rubber on the back likes to snap, and the goggles were notorious for fogging up on me. But, they were about all I had found to fit. So, I was interested to see how the Kayenne's worked as I had heard some others sing both those and the Kaymen's praise. So, here is my review:

The goggles came nicely packed in a hard, reusable case which is nice and helps keep the goggles from getting scratched in swim bags. I took both to the pool, and while they both seemed to fit okay, the smaller pair gave me a better seal and are the ones I then used the most.

Fit/Comfort: The fit is comfortable and doesn't seem to leave anywhere near the same level of "goggle" eyes that the Speedo's did. Adjusting these goggles to the right size is the EASIEST I have ever seen or used! No threading rubber through small holes to adjust, no accidentally breaking the straps as you try to tighten them--simply push the button near the temple and it is simply to adjust. You do have thread the tips through as small piece of rubber to keep the excess attached to the strap vs. flapping around everywhere. However, it is not too difficult, and once you've done it, you're good and still have the ability to adjust the size as necessary. Very impressed with the easy adjustment and surprised, in retrospect, that it hasn't be done before. Also, as a female with long hair, when I put the goggles on my head vs. over a swim cap (as I do when racing/OWS) they don't seem to pull my hair very much at all; and because they are flat vs. rounded, they seem to stay against the head much easier than the somewhat rounded ones do.

Seal: Getting the seal isn't too difficult at all. Once I've had them adjusted properly, they seal just fine. I haven't had too many problems with leaks. However, I have noticed that while doing turns on the wall, the motion of turning and pushing off (flip or open) does seem to cause the goggles to shift a bit. The more powerful the turn, the worse it is. Should be an issue with OWS, and it has only caused minor leaks during the turn itself (not afterwards).

Clarity/Fogging: I have had ZERO issues with fogging in these goggles. The two outdoor pools I swim in are greatly different in temps and water (82-83 for one-chlorinated; 68-72 for the other- salt) and never has fogging been an issue. I've been pleasantly surprised when, after placing them on my head during an occasional long break b/w sets, that they were not foggy at all when I would go to put them back on. I love both the clarity and field of vision in these goggles--definitely much better than the Speedos. I have the tinted version, and have used them both on sunny days and overcast/rainy days and they work equally well for me. They don't overdo the tinting and, thus, I feel make for a versatile goggle that can be used in a variety of light conditions.

So, the only "negative" I have noticed with these thus far is the slight shifting caused by powerful turns. Otherwise, I'm very happy with these goggles and will continue to use them. Fortuitously, my Speedos broke (again) the day before these showed up on my doorstep--perfect timing. In fact, I am doing IMCdA this next Sunday, and they will be my goggles for race day. I used them in Lake CdA today and they were excellent--no fogging either and the water was a crisp 56.

I am interested to see what their lifetime is. Brand new, with about 35K of swimming in the 2.5 weeks I've owned them, they are awesome. Should the seal continue to hold, the clarity remain, and the anti-fog stand up, there is no doubt that this will be my goggles of choice. I can definitely say I have never had a more easily adjustable pair of goggles as these--Aqua Sphere nailed that design aspect.

Thank you for the opportunity to test them out, and I'm excited to see how they'll do in the "big dance" on Sunday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in study. Only goggles I ever use. Never had a leak until they wear out - I get about 6 ish months before something around the lens loosens and they start to leak a little; often coincidental with applying anti fog drops - odd but it has happened on my last 3 pairs. Just spit in them now and they are fine. Not a great sounding review but I love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use them off and on, and generally like them. Visibility is good, but the width is really annoying. When I streamline off the wall, my arms always catch the sides and on some super hard 50s or 100s I have knocked out of place. Now, I only use them in OW and use my Speedo's when swimming with the team.

Rgds,

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought a pair at Eagleman and have used them in the pool and also for open water (salt). I must say that I am very impressed. Best I have ever worn. Comfortable, clear and excellent clairity. I have the bronze tinted and they are excellent in both low light and sunny conditions.

Two thumbs up.

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are my go to googles - great vision, great fit, no leaking, and they look super bad-ass!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also not part of the study.
I gladly bought a pair for open water swims. I have done a 6:40 minute 25K swim and a 3:16 10K swim. Both times I put the goggles on and didn't take them off until the swim was over. So comfortable, no fogging. Perfect visibility for open water and pool. The thing I like the most is how soft they are - incredibly fit and flexibility, but also very comfortable. Also, unlike other soft gaskets - these have not deformed. I have another pair of TYR tracer racers that I love, but have to replace quite often because with heat, nonuse, and time the soft gaskets seem to deform. No issues with the Kayennes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recommend, but try the Kaiman also and the regular and small fit in both styles before purchase.

Not in study. Swimmer/triathlete x 12years. Steady user of Tyr goggles until about a year ago when I bought the Kayenne following the review after Tyr discontinued my prefered model. I have owned two pairs of Kayennes, both "full size", one smoke, one clear. Both fit well initially with no leaks, easy adjustability as described by others. Smoke pair started leaking between the gasket and lens within 3 mos of purchase, clear seem to still be OK after more than 6 months. Bought a pair of Kaiman small fit smoke to replace the Kayenne's for IM Florida, worked flawlessly and still going strong between pool and open water. Would love to see the Kaiman small marketed for kids, both my kids (5 &7) are on swim team, my son (5) used mine for a couple of practices when his Speedo goggles strap broke. Seemed to work well for him with no leaks, I was a little uncomfortable with him wearing my $30 goggles tho. I do get fogging issues with both Kayenne and Kaiman as I did with Tyr before, which resolves with anti-fog.

A note - I leave my swim gear in my car during the day, ambient temps in excess of 100 degrees, no telling how hot in the car. I have had the silicone seal on Tyr goggles distort and become hard and lose their seal due to the heat. So far the Aqua Sphere soft silicone has retained its elasticity and still seals well.
Last edited by: txtriathlete: Jun 23, 11 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also not part of study. Definitely my favorite goggle for open water. Visibility is crazy good. Comfort-wise, they are up there with Kaimans, which I love.
They feel a bit bulky for pool swims, especially when pushing off flip turn. Biggest complaint is that for an open-water designed goggle, why no mirror finish?

I emailed AquaSphere about 2years ago, they said the goggle needed to get more popular before committing to mirror finish.
I emailed them again a few weeks ago, they said no plans at all for mirror finish.

The smoke lens doesn't quite get it done on sunny race days, whereas the mirror finish Kaimans are quite nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not part of study; I purchased small-sized Kayennes on my own because of my never-ending quest for the perfect goggle.

The low profile of these goggles appealed to me and once I figured out how to adjust them, the Kayenne was very comfortable to wear.

However, my vision was distorted slightly by the goggle, but what stopped my using them after 2-3 swims was leakage in my left eye. At the end of the day, the one task any goggle must perform is to keep water out and my contact lenses in. By this metric, the Kayenne failed and I gave them to somebody who is taller than I am.

The solution may be as simple as an adjustable nose piece. Even if it increases the price, being able to adjust fit at the temple, as well as the nose bridge, frequently solves the leakage problem.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Jun 23, 11 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My new favorites. I have a pair with the clear lenses, and the tinted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of study.

Background: Grew up as a swimmer, spent 17 years competitively swimming at the age group to small college level. Been doing triathlons off and on since 1984.

Current goggles: Tyr Tracer, and have used swedish and speedo in various models in the past.

First impressions: Nice looking goggles, although I was a bit skeptical as there is no foam, but a shaped extension of the material holding the lens to form the edge/seal. Also, the nose piece is not adjustable, which was an initial concern as I have a fairly narrow bridge and the different width nose pieces was one of the reasons that I chose the Tyr brand that I currently swim with. I was extremely impressed with the strap adjustment. The strap itself is ridged, with a small rod that fits into the ridge to hold the strap in place. To adjust, you simply press on a handy button and slide the strap in or out. Once I got them adjusted, I had no problems with the strap tightening or loosening. Additionally, the end of the strap is notched to fit into a holder on the strap, so there are no ends flapping around loose.

Fit: Very comfortable. There is no foam, rather the vinyl is extended and curled, resulting in a good seal and a surprising comfortable fit. I had no leakage problems with either of the goggles, even when pushing hard off of a wall. Both models fit me rather well, I would say that the smaller version felt more like a swedish goggle would feel, and the large was hardly noticeable. I put in around 30k, mostly pool and a couple of OWS, Although I was concerned about the nose fit, neither one was a problem in that area. Fogging in both models was negligible, and clarity was excellent. As with the other poster, I was not able to get out and test them in a sunny OWS environment.

Performance: Excellent. Negligible leakage at any time, high visual clarity, no fogging issues. About the only thing that I noticed was in a shallow (~3 foot) pool, the edges of the tiles on the bottom appeared slightly double imaged. This did not appear in a deeper (~8 foot) pool, and obviously not present in OW. The goggles never slipped or moved once the straps were adjusted, and were extremely comfortable. You can loosen them quite a bit before they start any kind of leaking, so people that prefer a looser strap would find these comfortable as well as those that like tighter straps. The material used is also very heat resistant, as I forgot my swim bag in the car during a day when it got to 110 outside, and there was no warping/melting of the material.

Overall review: Highly recommended. I didn't find a single thing to dislike about these goggles, and I will be switching to these over the Tyr goggles that were my current pair.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the store and happened to come across them the other day and picked them up. I broke the "nothing new on race day" rule and used them last weekend. Was in a murky river so I can't really comment on the lens clarity/magnification issue. Great seal, good vision, had no fogging. What I really like is the strap mechanism. You can put them on and just pull them real tight without futzing with them. I still like my Tyr Socket Rocket 2's for the pool (plus they are 1/4th the price of the Kayennes), but I think these will be my go-to open water goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies so far, solicited and unsolicited. Typically, we like to reserve these specific types of threads for the intended purpose, which is, for those who reviewed the goggles to write their reviews. from here on in, let's limit the posts here to these reviews, and to the questions for the reviewers that readers may have, based on what has been written in the review.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [ktj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can any of the reviewers compare the width of the Kayenne to the Speedo Hydrospex - http://bit.ly/mjhTjB ? Any other info on comparison?

Thanks,
-Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimBikeToo wrote:
Can any of the reviewers compare the width of the Kayenne to the Speedo Hydrospex - http://bit.ly/mjhTjB ? Any other info on comparison?

Thanks,
-Tim

I don't have the speed hydrospex so I measured the Kayennes.

The regular fit was 5.5 inches measured from the outside of the gaskets that touch your face. The small fit was a quarter inch less.
I feel like it stretches a bit when on my face.

Last edited by: ktj: Jun 23, 11 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggle - Post Reviews Here! [ktj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll measure and compare tonight.
-Tim
Quote Reply

Prev Next