Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

opinions - ROL wheels
Quote | Reply
Opinions? Thoughts? How do they stack up reliability/aero wise vs the big boys (Reynolds/Bontrager/HED/Zipp)? Are they a good middle-ground choice between those and things like Soul/P-X?
Quote Reply
Re: opinions - ROL wheels [nycowl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which model? I had a set of volants that ran true and smooth for about 15000 hard miles. I also had Sean build me a custom Matrix58 set with DT hubs. Totally awesome wheels. Look at roadbikereview.com. His are consistently the highest rated wheels out there.
Quote Reply
Re: opinions - ROL wheels [oxidefilm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am thinking about the carbon 58's.

considering vs. P-X 50's (a lot cheaper) and some of the clincher options (Reynolds Assault, Williams, etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll start by saying that I know Sean at Rol (I also know Josh at Zipp, though and Jason at Enve, and well a lot of wheel guys). Basically I would say that the Rol wheels that I have used and that people I know have used have been very well built. The parts are fairly standard stuff from Asia, but what sets Rol apart from most of the guys doing that kind of stuff is that the build quality of the wheels is fantastic and the customer service is the best I've ever seen from a wheelmaker. Zipp wheels will be more areo, no doubt, but you pay a lot for that. Same with Hed. Rol is a solid value and a great company.
Quote Reply
Re: opinions - ROL wheels [fasterisbetter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the C58 hoops are american and the spokes are swiss. only the hubs are from Taiwan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of race sl and also a race set of Reynolds and I think the ROL are almost as fast and they have 4000 miles on them. I did go with DT Swiss hubs and more spoke count and have never done anything to them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Rol Race SL wheels for training, with conti 4000s tyres and am pleased with them. Strong wheel, bounce over potholes and train tracks no problem. As for the aero part, this is a $600 wheelset so I don't expect much, but they are quicker than the shimano r500 that came as stock on my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oxidefilm wrote:
Which model? I had a set of volants that ran true and smooth for about 15000 hard miles. I also had Sean build me a custom Matrix58 set with DT hubs. Totally awesome wheels. Look at roadbikereview.com. His are consistently the highest rated wheels out there.

x2...Also had the ROL Volants...nothing but praise for the wheels. In addition to the consistently high rankings (i.e., "Best of" award) on roadbikereview.com, the customer service is exceptional. Highly recommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm several thousand miles into a set of Race SLs and I love them. I've had no trouble with the wheels at all -- still strong and true -- and I've put them through a lot. I can also affirm the fantastic customer service. I talked with Sean several times pre-purchase and a couple of times since, and he has always been great.
Quote Reply