Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot
Quote | Reply
I am just curious if anyone has had a chance to try on both of these products and if they might be able to offer any comparisons?

I tried on the Recovery Pump Boot at IM New Orleans 70.3 and really liked them. I wondered how it compared to the NormaTec MVP?

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who owns a pair of the "Recovery Pump Boots" and what they think of them.

Normatec http://www.normatecsports.com/

Recovery Pump http://www.recoverypump.com/index.html

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by: cam2win: May 16, 11 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [cam2win] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set of the Recovery Pump Boots, and cannot speak directly to the NormaTec, but I must say I have been nothing but happy with the Recovery Pump. It is nice that you are able to use Flex Spending to purchase them since they will require a Rx, a great way to spend some of the left over cash at the end of a year if you so choose. From personal experience, I am feeling much fresher between workouts having used the boots. They are also a good way to get ready for a workout.

Jeff Vanis' Blog | Challenge Family USA - Use code JVTRI15 to save 10% off your entry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll throw my 2 cents in the ring - hopefully it will help atleast a little. Recovery Pump sponsors our team so I am fortunate enough to try out the system at a generously discounted rate. Having said that I would invest the cost of the system in these now that I have tried them if they weren't being so kind and generous.
I use the Recovery Pump as my training recovery tool. I also use the system for a warm up when I have the time. Here is what I like:
-As a warm up tool I am able to use the boot for 15 min. and I feel I can progress into my higher intensity work faster than I can when I don't use the R.P. system before a workout. Might be a sign of old age (almost 40) that I am requiring more and more warm up, but I am thrilled with the results from the RP system. I have not used the NormaTec system for this and can't speak to their use in this capacity.
-As much as I love them for warm up I love them 100x more for recovery. I can't tell you what 20 min. post workout (I am lucky enough to work from home so I hook them up after a workout and work on the computer) and an hour at night does for my next day's workout. Again, might be a sign of old age but I have been taking longer and longer to bounce back from the longer and harder workouts and I find when I am diligent with my RP system I don't get that sluggish and heavy leg feeling on my next day's run or bike that I used to. I haven't used the NT system for workout recovery either so I can't speak to how they work or feel.
Where I have used both the NT and the RP system is post-surgical. When I was in the hospital post-hysterectomy I was on a NT type system (Peristaltic pulse type) system. As soon as I returned home I was able to use my Recovery Pump (sequential compression) system. As far as surgical recovery I thought my RP system was heads above, especially in comfort. With the RP system your entire leg is getting the compression for a longer period of time. For my particular recovery with leg pain and swelling the sequential compression was much more effective in reducing pain and swelling. Since I am not a doctor I won't even touch which one is better, but I will say that the RP system was much more comfortable for me and after having abdominal surgery comfort was one of my #1 concerns!
Both websites have GREAT information, recovery pump has added a lot of research and information to their site recently.
(you do need to have an RX to get the RP system and have it covered as a FSA but my Dr. gave me full support, I brought in some printed info from the RP site and he was in full support!)
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [coachkati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will start by saying that I am currently sponsored by Recovery Pump, and had previously been sponsored by NormaTec. I understand that my perspective may appear to be biased, however, I hope to offer useful feedback based on my experience with both companies' products.

The primary difference between the two products is the type of compression: peristaltic (Norma) vs. sequential (Recovery Pump). In a nutshell, this means that the Recovery Pump will hold pressure on each chamber as it progresses up the leg, while Norma will release (compressing only one chamber at a time). From a more scientific standpoint, the Recovery Pump compresses the entire leg for more than 30 seconds, and, therefore, there is a much greater absorption of fluid and "flush" of the muscle per cycle. Norma only has 8-10 seconds of compression on any one part of the leg, so the osmotic absorption rate is 2/3 less.

This being said, the practical standpoint - and my personal experience - tells me that Recovery Pump is more effective at aiding with recovery. Recently I went through an injury to my lower leg, which resulted in fluid build-up around my tibia (and posterior tibialis muscle). I could literally see the Recovery Pump working - after 45-60 min in the boots, my the swelling was visibly gone, and it felt looser and better.

I could go on and on about how the Recovery Pump helps me get ready for workouts, and how it speeds up my recovery time, but to summarize quickly - it's well worth the money!

Let me know if you would like some more specific information, as I am happy to share it with you. Send me a PM, and I'm happy to elaborate.

Michael

Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [vatolovato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michael:

What is the cost difference between the two products and are they both "roughly" the same from a size and logistics of use standpoint?

Thanks,

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a significance difference, as Michael alluded to, in the technology of each. However, Michael's explanation was not entirely accurate.

NormaTec uses a *patented* waveform cycle (which is adjustable in both pressure and on/off duration for each of the five cells in the boots). This what NormaTec calls "peristaltic" pressure from the word "peristalsis." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristalsis) The key is that peristalsis is basically a support of the natural flushing that your body supports on it's own. NormaTec just gives it a "boost." NormaTec is short for "NORMAl recovery through TEChnology." The key here being that you are simply supporting your body's own natural recovery process. The founder/creator of NormaTec, Dr. Laura Jacobs, is an MD-PhD physician specializing in rehabilitative medicine. She pioneered the peristaltic pressure system used by the NormaTec in her own clinical research and practice.

The Recovery Pump is basically just a high pressure compression boot. Think of it as a really tight compression tight. That's it. It's technology that has been around since (IIRC) the early 40s. It's somewhat effective, but quite crude.

NormaTec was supposed to release a model last summer that offers that same patented peristaltic pumping action, but with less adjustability, but a flood in their warehouse destroyed almost all of their product and set them way back. The product should be released this summer, along with an update to the current NormaTec MVP system that is about 1/2 the size and even more easily adjustable.

To put it in terms this forum can understand, the Recovery Pump is the equivalent of a welded aluminum round tube frame. It's useful, cheap, and practical. But it's not exactly "high tech." The NormaTec is your wind-tunnel developed, carbon, lightweight, latest technology TT frame. It's a significant leap forward. Is it 5x as good (it costs ~5x as much)? No. But it is a significantly more advanced - and effective - product.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, battling sponsored product shills! Who am I to believe?!?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [gbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you can look at what Lance chooses, what a significant number of NBA & NFL players use, and think about the fact that NONE of them are paid to use NormaTec (and many of them actually just paid full $ for their systems), and I think it's pretty clear.

The Recovery Pump is old tech. It's fine for what it is. But it's certainly NOT a competitor the NormaTec.

Keep in mind that the Recovery Pump was a purpose built CONSUMER product. The NormaTec MVP is a commercial (sort of) version that's a derivative of a DME product designed exclusively for rehabilitative medicine.

Spend some time reading about how each product actually works. The difference is clear. Then just make your own decision.

Doesn't matter to me which you choose. Just want to be clear on what the actual facts are in each case.

EDIT: one thing I forgot to add - the NormaTec "holds" the two (or one if it's the ankle pulsing or none if it's the foot) cells below the currently pulsing cell to avoid pushing fluid down into the leg (as opposed to back to the heart). So that's an important distinction from what Michael explained about the NormaTec pulsing only one cell at a time...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: May 2, 11 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I choose elevating my legs and drinking chocolate milk. Of course, neither of those are going to get anyone paid (aside from dairy producers I suppose).
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [gbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gbot wrote:
I choose elevating my legs and drinking chocolate milk. Of course, neither of those are going to get anyone paid (aside from dairy producers I suppose).

Fair choice. I wouldn't try to steer you towards doing anything else. If you wanted to try something else, I'd certainly offer my best advice, but I'm definitely not here to tell you that you need a NormaTec to recover properly. You don't. Does it help? Yes. Is it a lot of money? Yes. But I've long learned that valuation is something for individual people to determine for themselves...

Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [vatolovato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,
Thank you for your response. I was pretty sure from the start of this post that Normatec would probably be a superior product, just look at the pricing. Your explanation gives me a better idea of how the two different products work.
Last edited by: cam2win: May 16, 11 8:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I said above, with no experience with the NormaTec, I cannot speak to it directly, but I know I came from having used 2XU or Zoot Compression tights and CEP socks prior to using the Recovery Pump and can say without a doubt it does more than any clothing I have used by a long ways. I do think there has been a significant amount of research that has gone into NormaTec, just as has gone into Zipp etc. You have other companies such as FLO designing wheels that are very competitive in benefits at a fraction of the cost.

As with most things in this sport, it seems as you can save a chunk of money going with something that will get you most of the benefit. It may boil down to the point where for some people, the added benefit will give them that extra edge that they are looking to find.

The reason I say RP has been so good for me is when looking at most clothing articles, you are going to get anywhere from 18-30 mmHg of compression, something like the RP allows you to go up to 80. Although you wouldn't want compression clothing to always be that high, that is where these products excel because of the flushing motion to clear out your legs quicker.

Jeff Vanis' Blog | Challenge Family USA - Use code JVTRI15 to save 10% off your entry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Well, you can look at what Lance chooses, what a significant number of NBA & NFL players use, and think about the fact that NONE of them are paid to use NormaTec (and many of them actually just paid full $ for their systems), and I think it's pretty clear.

The Recovery Pump is old tech. It's fine for what it is. But it's certainly NOT a competitor the NormaTec.

Keep in mind that the Recovery Pump was a purpose built CONSUMER product. The NormaTec MVP is a commercial (sort of) version that's a derivative of a DME product designed exclusively for rehabilitative medicine.

Spend some time reading about how each product actually works. The difference is clear. Then just make your own decision.

Doesn't matter to me which you choose. Just want to be clear on what the actual facts are in each case.

EDIT: one thing I forgot to add - the NormaTec "holds" the two (or one if it's the ankle pulsing or none if it's the foot) cells below the currently pulsing cell to avoid pushing fluid down into the leg (as opposed to back to the heart). So that's an important distinction from what Michael explained about the NormaTec pulsing only one cell at a time...

Rappster, I don't think you have a complete understanding of what Recovery Pump is, which is understandable considering you don't work with them.

Recovery Pump was not built as a CONSUMER product. It is a rebranded version of Lymphapress, which is also a DME product designed for rehabilitative medicine. I've heard that medical patients find it's actually much more effective than NormaTec, because it does more than just mimic the natural flushing of your legs. I have not heard of any comparisons by athletes though.

Also, Recovery Pump is not like a really tight compression tight. It compresses from the foot and grows the compression up the legs and then releases all at one time. It then repeats this process. Just holding tight like a compression tight would be ineffective. I could understand your "old tech" comment if you thought that was what it did. That's not the case though. The studies that I have seen say that this is more effective at flushing your legs than what NormaTec does.

In regards to your Lance, NFL and NBA comment, Recovery Pump just entered the sports market in 2011. These athletes have been with NormaTec longer than that and were never give the choice between the two boots. NormaTec had no competitors last year so what athlete wouldn't take a sponsorship by them? I don't believe Recovery Pump has even started to pursue the big sport pro athletes.

I respect that you are defending your sponsor, but I just want to make sure the everyone is clear on the facts here.

(Just making a late edit here. Read this: http://recoverypump.com/use.html under the "Other Important Information" section. It clearly states the advantages of Recovery Pump's sequential compression system vs NormaTec's peristaltic compression system.)
Last edited by: mta: May 3, 11 7:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to flood this thread with more sponsored athlete posts... but I just want to add my $0.02.

I got sponsored by Recovery Pump through Team Trakkers/Rev3 this year and have been using the boots for about two months now. My first impressions were huge.

I've trashed my legs during a full day of spring skiing in thick mashed potato snow and came home to spend an hour in the Recovery Pump boots. The next day, my legs felt AMAZING. There was almost no lagging soreness at all. They obviously aren't magic and can't rebuild muscle tissue, but I definitely feel undeniably fresher the next day and help me be able to put more hard efforts in without feeling more and more drained after each one.

And I've had the same results after hard track workouts or interval sessions on the trainer. An hour or so in the Recovery Pump boots post workout and I feel much fresher the next day.

We can debate the millions of differences in how the boots inflate for years, but this is the one that does it for me. Recovery Pump can be paid for using your FSA for a reason. Because it is born from the medical industry. It is highly regulated and requires scientific results to back it up and justify insurance to cover the cost for people who need it to recovery from non sports-related industries. I care more about what the FDA says about a product like Recovery Pump than Lance or any NFL athletes.

-------------------
Swim.Bike.Run.Live

Proud Member of Team Rev3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The obvious solution to this puzzle is for NormaTec and Recovery Pump to each send me a system to trial. I will thrash myself for one week and wear one system on each leg (consistently) for recovery during the week. The system worn by whichever leg feels better obviously wins! I will document and share my findings with all of you.

Sponsored athletes - for the pride and benefit of your sponsor company, make it happen!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used and often Rx (and use for post-op recovery) the Gameready pumps/cold therapy. GREAT for recovery for sure. Cost? Yeah, $$$. Been using since 2003, so nothing new!

http://www.gameready.com/

This is the system that team Radioshack uses (as well as several NFL teams and others).

@ Jordan - "Lance" and the Shack are with Gameready, Garmin-Chipotel (and Dr. Lim) now with Normatec.

Last edited by: rroof: May 2, 11 19:25
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [mta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mta wrote:
Rappster, I don't think you have a complete understanding of what Recovery Pump is, which is understandable considering you don't work with them.

Recovery Pump was not built as a CONSUMER product. It is a rebranded version of Lymphapress, which is also a DME product designed for rehabilitative medicine. I've heard that medical patients find it's actually much more effective than NormaTec, because it does more than just mimic the natural flushing of your legs. I have not heard of any comparisons by athletes though.

What I lacked, at least in this case, was control over my vocabulary. My apologies for an inartfully worded reply. What I meant by my reference to NormaTec being DME is that it was designed for use in a rehabilitative/post-surgical environment. NormaTec specifically was designed for this. The "consumer" version - the MVP - is virtually identical to the "regular" (medical) NormaTec. Dr. Jacobs designed the system based on what she saw as limitations/failings with traditional lymphedema pumps. That was genesis of NormaTec. The consumer version came about because there were numerous athletes, usually recovering from ACL/MCL/other typical leg injuries that felt so good using the NormaTec during rehab that they continued to use it just to recover from normal training. The Recovery Pump is "old" technology - lymphedema pumps - that has been re-packaged as a recovery aid. My *opinion* is that they saw the success that NormaTec has had, so the "creators" (using the term loosely) of Recovery Pump simply took the technology that NormaTec was designed to supplant, and made a consumer product version of it. I.e., NormaTec is a new technology that happened to be applied to a consumer product. Recovery Pump is a specific consumer version of an old technology. Hopefully that's more effectively worded. To analogize, NormaTec is like the original QR wetsuit - a similar, but distinct, product designed specifically for a given application (swimming). Recovery Pump would be like O'Neill deciding to push their surfing wetsuits to triathletes for triathlon.

Quote:
Also, Recovery Pump is not like a really tight compression tight. It compresses from the foot and grows the compression up the legs and then releases all at one time. It then repeats this process. Just holding tight like a compression tight would be ineffective. I could understand your "old tech" comment if you thought that was what it did. That's not the case though. The studies that I have seen say that this is more effective at flushing your legs than what NormaTec does.

My reference to it being "like a compression tight" was meant to highlight that both are simply graduated compression. One is obviously active and the other is obviously passive, and yes, that is certainly a big difference. But compression garments are designed to provide graduated compression, which is what the Recovery Pump also does. Of course the pumping action makes a difference. But likewise if you are active in your compression tights, it's perhaps not so dissimilar. My point was, simply, that both compression tights and Recovery Pump offer ONLY graduated compression, not the peristaltic pumping action of the NormaTec. As far as "effectiveness at flushing your legs," do you have links to the studies to which you refer? I'll see if I can get copies of the studies. In my own conversations with Dr. Jacobs and the NormaTec team, I have heard the exact opposite, though the specifics were with regards to blood flow (Dr. Jacobs' current theory is that the pulsing appears to stimulate the release of nitric oxide, which is a vasodilator). And there was a study (not published that I'm aware of) undertaken at the USOC that examined muscle elasticity after various recovery modalities and found NormaTec superior to all, including massage.

Quote:
In regards to your Lance, NFL and NBA comment, Recovery Pump just entered the sports market in 2011. These athletes have been with NormaTec longer than that and were never give the choice between the two boots. NormaTec had no competitors last year so what athlete wouldn't take a sponsorship by them? I don't believe Recovery Pump has even started to pursue the big sport pro athletes.

That's true. But lymphedema pumps have been around for a long time. That hearkens back to my earlier point. NormaTec was a medical tool that ATHLETES took into sports, and NormaTec basically shrugged and said, "well, if they think it helps, then we probably should consider that." So the choice has been around. You think these athletes couldn't have gotten a DME prescription for a lymphedema pump? Or that if they felt that a lymphedema pump helped more than just post-surgery, that they wouldn't have continued to use it?

Quote:
I respect that you are defending your sponsor, but I just want to make sure the everyone is clear on the facts here.

I agree. And I apologize for my poorly written reply earlier. But I don't believe that your "correction" of my post was entirely accurate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on, Jordan - step up for NormaTec and have them ship me a demo unit for early June... I can guarantee HUGE exposure!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First - thank you MTA for your excellent articulation and insightful analysis. The correction of the earlier post needed to be made. The one poster is way off base and has done a magnificent job of muddying the water with speculation, half truths and downright falsehoods to support his sponsor. Having personally researched three companies in my due diligence before purchase, I know for a fact there is more than "inartful wording" here. I would parse the parsed comments, but too much has been said in error about Recovery Pump and their technology and I am not interested in a protracted online debate. Surely NormaTec doesn't want sponsored athletes disparaging their competition in print.

From my perspective and as an unbiased AGer, Recovery Pump has the science behind it and is a tremendous value for the dollar. It has helped my training and recovery immensely AND it feels great! Not to mention, the Recovery Pump staff and the pros they sponsor are gracious and lovely to deal with.

I personally could afford any pump, but when comparing benefits derived to the associated cost, Recovery Pump wins hands down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all frankness, both NormaTec's and Recovery Pump's product are classified as Intermittent Pneumatic Compression Devices. They are both active compression modalities. Medically, the key difference is the mechanism in which the products apply compression. NormaTec utilizes a peristaltic wave compression, Recovery Pump uses sequential compression - essentially inflation of air chambers starting distally and moving proximately.

Either product offers a better recovery than passive (meaning compression socks or sleeve) modalities. This has been documented via copius scientific studies.

Specific to Jordan's claim that Recovery Pump's technology is "old"...that's not necessarily a bad thing. The benefits of sequential intermittent pneumatic compression have been researched (and published) numerous times. There is a clear linkage between this type of compression and recovery speed. There is less published research on peristaltic wave compression as a recovery modality. Don't believe me? Google it. Go to Google Scholar and search sequential intermittent pneumatic compression & search peristaltic compression.

The bottom line here is that EITHER product will offer a good feeling on your legs. Both products will aid in your recovery. That said, I trust the published research that I've read (by the way, I recently wrote a blog article about compression and the more than 25 studies I reviewed. Click the link below and find it).

Like some of the others who have posted, I am sponsored by Recovery Pump - and will certainly advocate for how the product makes me feel (which, to echo others, is GREAT). All that being said, I think it's important to point out that the differences in the type of compression offered by the two products are foundationally similar, and yet also different. Recovery Pump's compression is backed by lots of published research; NormaTec less so.

Joel | My Blog | Team Rev3 Tri | Twitter @TriMadness
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [Joel0135] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have the results of a scientific study that compares the effectiveness of these two items? I'm sure they both work but it sounds like both me and Rappster are going by word of mouth on what's better. I've heard the science now behind why each thinks they work better. I'd like to see real proof.

Also, it would be great if one of the owners could come on here and explain why they think their product is better. Clearly they both have argued that their product is superior to the other.

Right now though, I'm thinking that if both are in fact of equal effectiveness, then the $4000 vs $1000 price tag clearly shows which product I'd buy. In addition to that, I've heard the Recovery Pump is a much smaller unit and is a lot easier to travel with.
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [mta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question...in my research I was unable to find published data comparing the efficacy of one type of pneumatic compression versus another type of pneumatic compression. All the studies I read compared passive compression versus active (meaning pneumatic...wave peristaltic or sequential intermittent).

Joel | My Blog | Team Rev3 Tri | Twitter @TriMadness
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [Joel0135] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll leave the scientific parts of this debate to those that are more qualified than me, but I will just add that being a MOP athlete that has always struggled with soreness and stiffness after long workouts, the Recovery Pump has indeed helped me get back in the saddle quicker than before. I am also on Team Trakkers and thus sponsored by Recovery Pump, so take what I say with a grain of salt if you want, but the product works. I have less days where I struggle during workouts because my legs are fried from that long bike or long run. As far as how portable the Recovery pump is...you could easily fit it in a back pack or one of the bags they give away at races. This to say that it is very portable and I will be taking it to all of my races this year. I don't know how the portable the Normatec is, but there will be no problem transporting the Recovery Pump. Both systems will help in recovery. Good luck with your research.
Quote Reply

Prev Next