Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kestrel Talon SL
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to build a new road bike where I could still have the aero design of a tri bike. i came across the Talon SL with the tapered headset- the latest model, I think. So, does anybody have feed back on this frameset? So far, all I got from the internet are the problematic seatpost(slipping) that they had on the earlier models.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon SL [mem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently got a kestrel talon 105. I have no complaints thus far, the geometry of the bike fits my odd body dimensions better than some other brands. I produce better watts than on my old specialized transition elite and seem more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon SL [kell0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Talon Tri force that's awesome. The seatpost is a bit of an issue, especially because the set screw chews up the back of the post, but once it's tightened enough the seatpost stays in place. The bike has a really smooth ride even over the pretty rough roads I've been on and it's pretty light so climbing is a breeze. I'd definitely buy it again. I'm 5'10" and I got a 55cm which fits me perfectly and allows me either room to grow or space to get into a better tuck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talon makes a fine road bike if it fits, buy one and don't look back. I rode me at least 15k miles at 190# and NEVER had a seatpost slip. I did convert mine from tri ti road and actually preferred it as a roadie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mem wrote:
I'm planning to build a new road bike where I could still have the aero design of a tri bike. i came across the Talon SL with the tapered headset- the latest model, I think. So, does anybody have feed back on this frameset? So far, all I got from the internet are the problematic seatpost(slipping) that they had on the earlier models.

I probably put 25-30K on my Kestrel Talon and would still have it if I could still ride a bike without pain. It was absolutely like brand new when i sold it. Somebody got a great deal. The geometry of the bike was really good. What I liked best about it was climbing and descending. It was a really confident going downhill fast and taking sharp corners and plenty stiff enough to be a good climber. Looks like they improved the cable routing, which was my only complaint. New version is supposedly more aero than the old one (which was surprisingly aero, especially considering the age of the design). Good bike overall. Consider that Maca rode the Talon for many years.

I never had the seatpost slip on my Talon. I either used the aero seatpost (which held fine) or a Thomson. Never any slippage problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon SL [jmt8345] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I can conservatively say that I put over 25K miles on my Talon SL, including 3 IM. Since the back surgeries, have converted it to a roadie and I'm still happy. :-)

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon SL [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same, same. Over 60k on my 2003 Talon SL, only reconfigured from TT to road bike in 2009. Still a daily rider and probably my favorite bike I've ever owned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode one 3-4 years. Great bike. No seat post issues at all.

Re: Kestrel Talon SL [miketheman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I think you are missing the shim that goes in between the set screw and post. Please contact Steven Harad (sharad on ST) immediately to clarify. I had the same issue on my airfoil pro and it turns out I was missing the shim. You should not be riding your bike with the set screw directly pressing into carbon.

To the OP, I have a Talon road and Airfoil Pro tri bike. Both nice bikes....bottom line it all comes down to fit. I could feed you the snake oil but would rather than you pick the bike that fits properly. For the price, both offer nice value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kestrel Talon Road that I loved so much I just ordered a Talon SL Tri yesterday. If I remember, I'll post pics when it shows up.

I think it's one of the more overlooked frames in the tri world. Very sweet ride.

For the seatpost. I had minor issues in Hawaii (noise only) but found that it was because I dribbeled so much sweat that it eventually made it dirty. If I used a torque wrench and cleaned it every other week or so, it was perfect. Now that I'm back living in Boulder, I havent had a single issue at all.

EDIT: I can't read. You're looking for a road bike build... Still doesn't change. I like mine so much I'll now have 2.

Just my opinion. I say go for it.
Last edited by: Mward: Apr 27, 11 5:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have about 25,000 miles on my 2004 Talon SL (black and blue like the one Macca used to ride). I was thinking about getting a new tri bike, and then on Saturday I decided to just get the Talon tuned up because I like it so much. Never had an issue with the seatpost (knock on wood) - I got the carbon aero seatpost as an extra. Also did 2 IM's on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2008 SL that I use as as a tri bike. I've been very happy so far with no issues related to the frameset (components only). For the price, I think it's a worthwhile purchase.

Can of corn and I'll be fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kestrel makes great aero bikes. My entire team rides Kestrel road and time trial bikes, and we're very happy with their performance. 3 of my guys ride Talons and have nothing but good things to say about them. Check out the blog below for race reports with the Kestrels-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my Talon frame to build as a roadie about 3 months after I bought my Airfoil. If I had bought the Talon first I would not have bought the Airfoil. Super nice bike.
Quote Reply