Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1000# combined lift and still run a sub-20 5k?
Quote | Reply
I know there are folks here who have or can. I'm not talking about folks who were lifters in their 20's and now tri, or HS XC runners who got into lifting, and did both but at much different times in their lives (I've done both for that matter, separated by about 6 years). Any particular strategy you had to adopt to get there? Seems like it would be tricky to balance the strength needed yet be small enough to hit a 20 min 5k.

Reason I ask: I'm deployed, and need a physical goal to work towards. There are 5k's here every month, and a very well-equipped gym about 50m from my living quarters.

Where I'd be starting from: 5k currently 21:29, combined deadlift/squat/bench press someplace in the mid-800's

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Last edited by: lunchbox: Mar 10, 11 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: 1000# combined lift and still run a sub-20 5k? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.strend.com/description.html
Ever checked this out? This is kinda what I think crossfit wants to be and circuit training with a purpose is. Good way to score too. Have to be strong but still able to move.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000# combined lift and still run a sub-20 5k? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm biased by the number of back and shoulder injuries I see in my clinic daily, but crossit seems like a neat idea, badly executed that results in a bunch of injuries. Plus those jackoffs are flipping truck tires over at 11 PM right outside where I sleep...jackasses.

No other takers? I thought the "lifting will make you faster" crowd would be all over this one!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean competitive powerlifting or just in the gym? I have never powerlifted competitively, but have hit over a combined 1,000 in the gym (at one general time, but never in sequence as if it is a mock-competition).

I also don't purport that lifting makes you faster. It was before I got into tris, though, so i spent more time running then splitting sbr. I primarily ran earlier in the day and then lifted later in the afternoon. Weight plan was lift heavy weights ;) Usuaully lifting 4 days per week, split muscle groups hitting 2 a day and rotating a 3-day-cycle into 4 days of lifting so one set got repeated a week (e.g., chest/tri on monday; back/bi on tuesday; legs/shoulders thursday; chest/tri on friday; back/bi on monday; etc.). The group that got repeated on friday would not be a heavy day again, it would be more of a volume day.

Dead: 480, Bench: 335, Squat: 325. 5k time was mid-19's, I would have to go back to an old log and check.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is a cool challenge. I think you have the numbers about exactly right. both numbers are easily achievable for the single sport athlete

but together they are tricky

lunchbox wrote:
I know there are folks here who have or can. I'm not talking about folks who were lifters in their 20's and now tri, or HS XC runners who got into lifting, and did both but at much different times in their lives (I've done both for that matter, separated by about 6 years). Any particular strategy you had to adopt to get there? Seems like it would be tricky to balance the strength needed yet be small enough to hit a 20 min 5k.

Reason I ask: I'm deployed, and need a physical goal to work towards. There are 5k's here every month, and a very well-equipped gym about 50m from my living quarters.

Where I'd be starting from: 5k currently 21:29, combined deadlift/squat/bench press someplace in the mid-800's

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1000+ club here (405 squat, 425 deadlift, 285 benchpress). But that was back playing football in college. of the three core lifts, have only benched as of recent (within last 5-7 years). the days of full body lifts are beyond me, and in my not-very expert opinion, not indicated for most people w/o professional training/advice on technique.

5k PR is 19:01. Looking to go sub 18 this wknd. we shall see.

"Triathlon?!? I play a real sport, I don't want to be the best at exercising." ~Kenny Powers
Quote Reply
Re: 1000# combined lift and still run a sub-20 5k? [RB12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at lifting just 3 days a week, 4 runs (about 30 miles total), 2 hour plus sessions on the spin bike and twice in the pool. I definitely don't think lifting makes you faster. Part of the fun of this is that the goals are almost diametrically opposed. If I lift any more than 3 times a week, I'd probably get too heavy and not run enough. We'll see how this is progressing in 2 months.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a friend who's goal was a sub 15 min 5k and a 300lb bench. He could do both, but never at the same time. He got too light when he was in 15 min shape to put up more than low 200's and was too heavy when he could go 300 lbs to go much faster than high 15's. He was just getting good (and by that I mean elite AG'er) at multisport when a bunch of lingering injuries caught up to him and forced him to stop running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a great challenge. And definitely not easy to accomplish at the same time.
The running will take it directly out of your squats. As you increase your running mileage, your squats are likely to decline. I think for someone to accomplish both, there is a very specific body type required. Probably a 6' ectomorph, or 5'8" mesomorph.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000# combined lift and still run a sub-20 5k? [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fit the bill on the 5'8" mesomorph. Actually 5'7", about 172 # right now. I was 160 when I ran sub-20, and about 195 when my combined was just north of 1100#. This is going to get interesting...

Quote Reply
Re: 1000# combined lift and still run a sub-20 5k? [RB12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RB12 wrote:

Dead: 480, Bench: 335, Squat: 325.

Your squat was less than your bench, and you could dead 480?!?
Quote Reply
Re: 1000# combined lift and still run a sub-20 5k? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol, I noticed the same thing. Something wrong with his workouts if he benchs more than he squats. Maybe it was supposed to be '4'25, that would be about right. Still way stronger than me though!
Quote Reply
Re: 1000# combined lift and still run a sub-20 5k? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup. mostly bc I just hate to squat and didnt put enough time/energy into truly trying to max it out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deadlift (2010): 355
Bench (2010): 215
Backsquat (Sept 2010): 305
Clean and Jerk (Jan 2011): 220
Snatch (Jan 2010): 175
5k (2009): 22:45 – I haven’t run a “chipped” 5k in a while but I think a sub-21 is reasonable for me at this stage in the game.

Too bad you won’t go out and flip tires with the crossfitters. I’m not in the 1000+/sub-20 club but I train and know crossfitters who are.

I am biased towards Olympic lifting for developing speed and strength. Learn to do the lifts correctly and I think they are the best form of strength training there is. I know a lot of people who follow the “Wendler 5/3/1” program with great success as well. I do a bastard program of Westside Barbell and Wendler that looks like a 10 (50% 1RM) /5 (70% 1RM) /3 (90% 1RM) /1 (100% 1RM) during base training and shave that to 10/5 closer to race day. I don’t bench very often. I do regular clean and jerk, snatch, backsquat, deadlift, and press work.

I had a training partner a couple years ago who was trying to get into the Olympic bobsled trials. His goals were similar: get strong and get fast. His plan was to lift for 2-3 weeks then run 2-3 weeks. It didn’t work. He would get strong and slow then less-strong and faster. If you are going to be successful you need both adaptations, strong and fast, to develop together. Mix your running distance and speed work into the weightlifting plan. Its tricky but totally doable.

Good luck with your program and come home safe.
-

Ryan Hunt
Owner - CrossFit Monrovia
http://www.crossfitmonrovia.com
Quote Reply
Re: 1000# combined lift and still run a sub-20 5k? [Pucknryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've just stumbled across this thread which really interests me (the 1000lb total and sub 20 min 5k concurrently).

I ran a 19.10 in August 2016 (my last timed 5k) then went on to continue run progress up to IM New Zealand in early 2017. Haven't really run since but in the mean time have managed to build up to a 1095lb total (395lb squat, 260lb bench, 440lb dead). I am about 12kg heavier than August 2016.

I'm about to start my run training back gradually while keeping my strength training going while I aim for a physique comp in Sept this year.

What are people's thoughts on whether this is achievable for me? Has anyone else managed to total 1000lb and run sub 20min for a 5k?
Quote Reply
Re: 1000# combined lift and still run a sub-20 5k? [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you can do it. You know you have the aerobic capability to go sub-20 and the strength to go over 1,000, and neither is an outlandish benchmark. You just need to combine them. If you're up 12kg since 2016 it's probably not all muscle so you may have some excess fat to drop. I'd probably cut back on benching as well since it's the least useful for running and also the area you'd see the smallest gains.

I never specifically aimed for this goal but I got up to 905# (400 dead, 305 squat, 200 bench) with a sub-19 5k a few years ago. I found it pretty easy to maintain 5k speed while lifting a lot - the challenge was getting faster at longer distances because I didn't have the time or energy to put in long mileage.

I think this is a cool goal, definitely keep us posted. There is more to fitness than long course endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub 20/5km is one of the first tests the Australian SAS have to do at the start of selection. My mate's son just got through on his 2nd attempt. He reckons 40% don't even make it past the 20/5km. They land at the airbase, 30mins later are running the 5km and 30mins later the failures are back on the plane! He's pretty small and lean, 5'9, 170lbs, no idea how he managed carrying the huge packs.

I don't get the impression lifting weights is that big in the Australian and British special Forces compared to the US? I've seen some pictures of Navy Seal guys and they're huge!
Last edited by: zedzded: Mar 13, 18 21:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bench seems the toughest as that is gonna make your running worse. I do deadlifts and squats regularly and squat 130kg for reps (haven't maxed but have done a few reps at 140 so think I could do 150 if I tried) and I deadlift about the same. Squats help a lot with balance, and for hills. Run mid 17 5k.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply