Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Docs - Will a 4mm kidney stone pass on its own?
Quote | Reply
On January 31, a CT scan showed I had a 4 mm kidney stone. The left flank pain subsided after about a week, but it's returned in the groin area. I feel like I have to constantly urinate and when I go (with mild pain) I still feel like I have to go when I'm finished. Mrs. Slow_Nole thinks I should see a urologist and get it removed. I'm not crazy about the idea. How long should I let this continue? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Docs - Will a 4mm kidney stone pass on its own? [Slow_Nole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it doesn't pass, the lythotrypsy procedure is not a big deal. (At least it wasn't for me...)
It was actually sort of relaxing.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My god that's gonna hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jan 31st until now would be a long time to have a
stone stuck in the ureter without other complications. it might be a second stone passing. did they mention any other stones located in the kidney. generally 4mm is actually considered the cutoff for a stone passing on its own. 4mm and less is 90% chance. larger then 4mm the odds decrease. i would recommend seeing a urologist at this point if you still think you have a stone there. they can lead to infection and kidney problems if they are blocking the ureter. good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a 4mm stone in 08. Took about a month to pass. It started with that excruiting pain higher up. Nothing going to the ER and getting a shot of morphine didn't cure. In the week before it passed I got the mild pain and constant need to urinate no matter whether I did or not, and that has to be the worst, okay maybe not as bad as that excruiting pain! That was the 3rd stone and each have always felt the same way you feel now b4 it passed. Finally it passed and it was a welcome relief. It you happen to see it, keep it and bring it to your doc. They can send it off to get analyzed to see what kind of stone it is. Might give you some info on how to not get another one. Lastly if it persists like this then do go see your doc, but what I was told that most healthy males will pass a 4mm stone. My doc basically said they wouldn't zap it unless it was 6mm or more, or was blocking flow. What they worry about is if you get no flow then the stone may be stuck or blocking.

I drink way more water now! Bad news is once you get them, chances are you may get another. Mine seem to be on a 7yr cycle. My last one was a week b4 IMC in 08. Got IM MOO this year so I should be good...lol

Darren

Darren
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Danger Will Robinson.

A 4 mm stone could pass on its own. Unfortunately, I've become an expert on this topic in the last two months.

I had flank pain shortly before Christmas. Friends said to drink tons of water and lemonade, which I did. Pain went away. Thought I was good.

New Year's morning - mother of God pain. Ultimately three times under anesthesia in January. (1. Install stent, reduce swelling. 2. Ureteroscopy to bust the thing up. 3. Back in to remove smaller pieces.)

Mine was 1 cm -- huge. BUT one reason we went back in was because the two remaining pieces each were in the 3 mm range. Doc said he didn't want to remove my stent and have me back in the ER wailing the following night. I'd be concerned that yours has not passed at this point.

I wrote two blogs about this - one on the saga, two on how a seemingly healthy diet can still cause stones.

http://endurancesportsflorida.com/...24/losing-my-marble/
http://endurancesportsflorida.com/...omote-kidney-stones/

Not being self-promotional for my blog here, just hoping to save some folks from what was the worst pain of my life. Unlike an appendectomy, which I've also had, it's not a simple remove-it-and-move-on saga. Please consider your diet.

I'd get this taken care of now. I wish I had just gone in immediately. Would have been much easier and saved me enough to buy a nice Cervelo. (I have high-deductible, self-employed health insurance. Stone came just hours after my deductible clock reset for the new year.)

Everyone else: Down a 20-ounce bottle of water right now. If you trained today, which of course you did, have two.

http://www.endurancesportsflorida.com
Quote Reply