Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman France bike course-Road bike vs. tri bike [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They probably have better pack handling skills than the Clearwater or IM Florida packs. At least these guys don't crash into each other, even while drafting at 8000 ft!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France bike course-Road bike vs. tri bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many yellow flagged technical switch backs are there? Is the descent gradual, steep a mix, does it level off or it it about an hour of white knucking? For gearing, what is the steepest grade on the climb? thanx for the pics and info.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France bike course-Road bike vs. tri bike [cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At one point there is around 40-60 minutes of continuous descedning with white knucking in the order of every 90 seconds. I don't mean to scare anyone. It's not dangerous white knuckling, you just have to be focused on riding comfortably and relax the body. If there are riders up the road from you, watch what they do. If there is someone up the road from you going "off the road" DO NOT LOOK AT THEM....you'll end up going to the exact same place (ie, off the road).

I believe there were in the order of 12-15 yellow flagged turns/switchbacks. What you want to do for these is brake early and bleed speed off while you bike is in vertical plane (basically you're not leaning). This will set you up for the turn. Lean hard, counter steer, look at where you want to come out of the turn, point your belly button to where you want your bike to go (which means your rear wheel is now properly aligned to the intended direction of travel).

It's a very safe technical course if you know where you can and can't take risks. As another poster pointed out, you don't need to actually ride the course to get that feel. You pop up from Nice to the Grand Corniche and take any of the descents back to the sea to practice...switchbacks are switchbacks. Riding any part of the course on race week would be almost impossible....first of all there is 20K of gnarly traffic to get off the flats to the hills and then you'd have to climb for at least an hour continuously to end up high enough to practice the descents. The main thing is getting comfortable with switchbacks, something that are almost non existent in roadways in most of North America.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France bike course-Road bike vs. tri bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks! This is wonderful feedback.

Actually, I'm familiar with the city and some of the surroundings. And road bike it is; I sucessfully resisted the temptation to buy a Kestrel Airfoil (!) last week … It's the steep seat angle question I'm pondering. Guess I'll stick with a regular road position – and clip-ons for the flats.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France bike course-Road bike vs. tri bike [starless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a perfect use case for an aero road bike - S2/S3/Felt AR/Talon/Etc. With some shorties you would have the best of both worlds.

Given the experience in this thread, I am guessing there is a reason why this hasn't been brought up. What is it?

(and yes I know she isn't even riding an aero frame)

http://www.slowtwitch.com/....3_Worlds__1797.html
Last edited by: FisH2O: Feb 14, 11 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France bike course-Road bike vs. tri bike [FisH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did im france in 2008 on my tri bike with 808/808 setup. This was pre DI2 and i swore if id ever come back it would be on a road bike with clipons. Main reason i could go almost 2kg lighter on the roadie, and more importantly i having only gears on your extentions is really sucky when going up for hours. There were so many times i should have geared up/down but simply didnt cuz i would have to move my hands. Sounds like a small thing but i bet most make the same bad choices and unintentionally smashes their legs cuz its just tiring moving your weight and balance to shift 100 times.

Now we have DI2, but i still think id choose the lighter weight, and the confidence a road bike gives to destroy the decent. And the aerobar also smashed my hands on the decent, even though im a good technical rider.

im thinking a 6,5kg bike with 404/404 and very low clipons.

My site: http://www.idpoet.me

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman France bike course-Road bike vs. tri bike [idpoet_malik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that we got the world championships here what bike is best( road+clip on vs tri) if same course as ironman nice? How are the descents?. Are any pros going to run a disc? Best wheels, zip 303’s lighter or other wheels tri wheelset 60-70mmthat are 300g+ heavier?
Quote Reply

Prev Next