Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kids Road Bike
Quote | Reply
Have a 9year old daughter that is into riding and we are looking into getting her her first "real" bike. Up to this point she rides a single gear kids bike. However, she keeps up up to about 10miles and then gets tired due to hills etc. We have been to several LBS and they are all pointing us into a mountain style bike. Just wondering what opinions on the subject would be here. She is about 4'7" tall.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Road Bike [ssoucy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 9 yo. daughter has a KHS Flite 650: http://www.khsbicycles.com/05_flite_650_07.htm

Fuji also makes a couple - one of which is: http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/ace_650

Trek, Orbea, and Specialized also used to make bikes on which she could fit, but I haven't been in a shop for awhile that would carry them. Oh, you might look at Redline too. I got the KHS b/c it is a bike she can grow into and it has "grown up" components on it (and one bad ass wheelset for a 9/yo).

Or, you can always go this route (sorry, somebody was going to do it - so it might as well be me):

Quote | Reply
Another good option is a Redline Conquest 24. Gets a road and cross bike in one. Very durable, decent components for a kids bike and great resale with so many kids getting into cyclocross.

Quote | Reply
The mountain style seems to be a consistent route.

This is the only option I've found for when they get a little taller than they currently are. Although thanks to the above post - now there are 3.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/...racomp650c_spec.html
Last edited by: bmcmaster11: Feb 12, 11 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can always go with a planet x stealth. It comes in a XXS with a 47cm TT. 650 wheels. It is about the smallest I've found as far as TT.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got my 8 year old nephew on a Felt F24, he's about 4'3" and the seat post is nearly buried. Here's a link:

http://2010.feltracing.com/...ad/F-Series/F24.aspx

Not sure if they're visible in this image but the dual top-mounted brake levers facilitated the transition from his mt. bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have four daughters under the age of twelve, with the oldest three having competed in triathlon already (on their mountain bikes & kids bike)....running into the same issue trying to locate a road bike for the little ones....thanks for the post.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Road Bike [PhilDBasket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw one of these at the LBS and they look sweet. I second the nomination.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Road Bike [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:
Another good option is a Redline Conquest 24. Gets a road and cross bike in one. Very durable, decent components for a kids bike and great resale with so many kids getting into cyclocross.

Cross bike is a great idea, as the kid races are growing like crazy. Our son is on a Trek KDR (no longer made, but great resale). There are a few around, most seem to be in the $700 range.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Road Bike [R900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought my son a Specialized Allez Jr. He has had it about a year. Awesome bike if you can find one.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Road Bike [R900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever thought of a tandem? For the next 4 years it could be an experience that will create memories for a lifetime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through the same problem trying to find a bike for my 7 year old to ride in triathlons. I found this 2010 Fuji Ace 24 on sale our a LBS near the end of the year. It's been great for him, and hopefully it will allow him to grow a little. He's very tall for his age and has long legs. It's not as good of a bike as the adult versions, but he only rides it for training and races and we take good care of it and have not had any problems yet.

When running on the street, if your gum accidentally flies out of your mouth, it's no big deal. But if you lose your gum while running on a treadmill, you're gonna have to dodge that thing like 1800 more times, depending on how many more miles you have to go. Trust me on this one.
Quote Reply