Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
Public ridicule builds character. That's one reason all children should play sports. :)

Do you even know who is in that video,what they are doing and why all of us that were there (including the swimmers) thought it was hilarious..No you don't,you are just making stupid assumptions again.

Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't watch your video. I was replying to the post where you were talking about people being scared of public ridicule. I was making a joke. But you're still up my asshole.

Quote | Reply
talderson wrote:
Flip turns are a pretty basic thing. If you cant do a flip turn you probably arent very comfortable in the water. IMO if anyone is trying to be good at tri needs to do flip turns. I cant imagine how anyone could get into any rhythm on say anything form 500+ meter sets. And if you doing 50-100 intervals you will get left behind not doing flip turns if you are iin a pool with people that can swim. Why would people not want to learn.

I agree with everything you said but some people just don't want to learn.In a perfect world everyone would learn how to train properly but we all know that it isn't a perfect world and I'm okay with that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
These guys don't always do flip turns and they still manage to have a fun time racing,maybe that is why I like to hang out with them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyk6UJPf7vs&feature=player_embedded

I wonder if someone mixed some lithium in their water bottles, would they finish the "race?"

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't we just be honest about flip turns, unless you can get close enough to the turn bouy to do one and push off they are of no use out there in the OW. About the only thing they are good for is to teach you how to stay calm when someone pushes your head down a bit and you get a litlle oxygen depraved.

Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
I didn't watch your video. I was replying to the post where you were talking about people being scared of public ridicule. I was making a joke. But you're still up my asshole.

" I just haven’t quite been myself lately. I haven’t been myself lately, but I love you. Nothing about that has changed, and nothing ever will. So right now, what I need is for you to climb down out of my ass. Can you do that? Will you do that for me, honey? Will you please, just once, get off my ass. You know, I’d appreciate it. I really would."I

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
These guys don't always do flip turns and they still manage to have a fun time racing,maybe that is why I like to hang out with them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyk6UJPf7vs&feature=player_embedded

I wonder if someone mixed some lithium in their water bottles, would they finish the "race?"

.........................................................................................

Hahaha Paulo,they finished but it took them just under four weeks.This video was shot by the crew of one of the swimmers during the second day of the swim.

I am most impressed with 73 year old Aurthur who swam the whole 76k on his back .The guy is awesome..

Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [talderson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Flip turns are a pretty basic thing. If you cant do a flip turn you probably arent very comfortable in the water. IMO if anyone is trying to be good at tri needs to do flip turns. I cant imagine how anyone could get into any rhythm on say anything form 500+ meter sets. And if you doing 50-100 intervals you will get left behind not doing flip turns if you are iin a pool with people that can swim. Why would people not want to learn."
--------------------------------------------
Your logic makes sense.

However, what about someone like me who has an old knee injury that flares up (I don't know why) whenever I do flip turns which hurts my run and bike. So, I have trained 30 years doing open turns.....and have had some pretty fast swim times.[/quote]
David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Darth Vader had responsibilities. He had to build the Death Star"

That's a good one for you.

Quote | Reply
honestly, i'm very comfortable in the water. I love swimming long sessions and consider myself an ok swimmer- no problems avg 1:20/100 for my usual 3,000-4,000m swims but I just never bothered doing flip turns. Sure, I dabbled here and there and if I had to do one, I could pull it off. I've just gotten so used to not doing them that I don't think about it. I don't think I'm doing an injustice to my training by not doing them. I won't be doing them on race day and I surely don't rest at the end of each 25. I hit the wall and immediately push off underwater with no wasted time- i've gotten pretty quick at it. Not doing them doesn't hurt my rhythm in the least. Rhythm doesn't have to be accomplished my flip turns, it's simply accomplished by doing something over and over until it's natural to you.
Last edited by: Fish2587: Feb 10, 11 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [ToKnowMore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe how many replies in this thread.

Don't people know that in the last Kona flip-turn survey, 99.28% of qualifiers did flip turns in training?
Case closed.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [FastandFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude you're about to open a can of worms. There's going to be like 47 people replying to your post - "yeah but I just do it for fun, so I do whatever I want and that makes me happy. ST is so elitist. Stop giving the truth."

Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
Dude you're about to open a can of worms. There's going to be like 47 people replying to your post - "yeah but I just do it for fun, so I do whatever I want and that makes me happy. ST is so elitist. Stop giving the truth."

Most people are f*cking lazy and thinking learning to flip-turn is some incredibly difficult skill. It's not. It takes 10min to learn. Then about a week or two to get comfortable. Then... a skill for life.

Seriously... how did these people learn to ride a bicycle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastandFun wrote:
snackchair wrote:

Most people are f*cking lazy and thinking learning to flip-turn is some incredibly difficult skill. It's not. It takes 10min to learn. Then about a week or two to get comfortable. Then... a skill for life.

Seriously... how did these people learn to ride a bicycle?

For me, it isn't an issue of learning how to do flip turns. I know how to and I do them pretty well. I was just trying to figure out if it makes sense to do them. That's all. I got some good information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToKnowMore wrote:
For me, it isn't an issue of learning how to do flip turns. I know how to and I do them pretty well. I was just trying to figure out if it makes sense to do them. That's all. I got some good information.

Yeah, no worries man. Wasn't referring to you in particular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

And if in another month you post this question again, the same horsesh*t will recur via the magic of ST.

Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

And if in another month you post this question again, the same horsesh*t will recur via the magic of ST.

Agreed.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I am not being deliberately obtuse - just because you use the word in "in search of" doesn't change the meaning for me. We should still strive to be great at best. We should never strive for perfection - it is generally extremely inefficient to do so. I gave a perfect example earlier from the swim guru (gary hall sr) on the forum. He mentioned in taking strokes that you should NOT try to hit a home run with every stroke - just get the arm thru the water with great form and move on to the next one.

It is the same problem software companies have when trying to make perfect software. It is not possible, at some point you have to ship the product. You have 7 hours to train you need to use your time that offers the best fitness for the hours available. I guarantee if there is someone else in your shoes that doesn't do flip turns that the hour a week practicing them could be better spent. The following could be a theme song for what I am trying to convey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvkUDKIuye0 (guaranteed not to be a rick roll)

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave you a chance, right from the start, not to do it! But did you take it??? No... this time will be different, you said... this time I will have my question answered, you said... and now we're on page 6 of the bleeping thread, and there are still people posting the million bleeping reasons why they do/don't flip-turn... and why? WHY?! All because of YOU!!!

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man,looks like I'm gonna have to start doing Cross-fit to make my core strong enough for flip-turns.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope just p90x

Quote | Reply
Or 1K of butterfly kick every practice.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
Or 1K of butterfly kick every practice.

Well there is always that (which I kind of like to do anyway) but I break it up a bit and it is generlly for 500m mixed in with drills or as recovery after losing my breath doing all that hypoxic flip-turning. ;-) .....and I do it with fins just 'cause I'm an adult and I can.

Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Feb 10, 11 13:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

"Darth Vader had responsibilities. He had to build the Death Star"
OH GIMME A BREAK...Darth Vader did NOT have to build the death star...he just had to get them back on schedule. The death star was emperor palpatine's aka (darth sidious) plan. Darth Vader was emporer palpatine's bitch until the end!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastandFun wrote:

I'll have you know that I spent at least twenty minutes on it today (probably more), and still haven't got it. I did get a bunch of water up my nose, I'm dizzy, and I feel like I'm gonna puke.

This BETTER be building some motherf***ing character.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply

Prev Next