Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer Help
Quote | Reply
I just am still learning my Computrainer and I know there is a way to set intervals up, does anyone out there know the easiest way to do this? I am trying to do this interval : (1 min biggest possible gear, such that it is very difficult to turn over 45-50 cadence+ 1 min easy spin)
Thanks, Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Help [cotbass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For custom workouts you will have to program in what you wan to do. You can find the directions to do this on their site or in the directions that came with the CT. It's kind of a pain in the ass but you only have to do it once.

However, for what you are talking about just know that you will have to crank up the pressure between the drum and tire. CTs have a tendency to be pretty slippy when you are dealing with high resistance. Thus, you will want to calibrate to close to 6, which it doesn't recommend (CT like you to be closer to 3).

Be careful what tires you ride when doing this type of workout. If you have a tire with a kevlar belt etc. (some kind of puncture resistance) it will blister very easily, probably in 30 min or less. I would recommend getting one of the Continental trainer tires.

Jimmy

Jimmy Archer
Pro Triathlete/Coach/Freelance Writer
http://www.jimmyarcher.com
http://www.dirttri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could set up this workout in the coaching software and use erg mode

1 min @ huge Watts, 1 min @ not very many Watts

You'll still need to switch gears, though so, IMHO, not really worth bothering.

What I would do is to build a course in the 3D software thats an endless hill at maybe 3-4% - steep enough so you'll be down to low rpms in your biggest gear to hit the target watts for your intervals but not so steep that you can't spin in an easy gear. Then just use the timer on screen to tell when your intervals come up and do it by switching gears.

In practice, erg mode can be great for loooong intervals when you are struggling with motivation. You can dial in IM pace or HIM pace and watch a movie or really enjoy some good tunes. For short intervals, I find it a bit of a pain to use.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Help [JTRock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jimmy
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Help [Miranda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
You'll still need to switch gears, though so, IMHO, not really worth bothering.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, this is wrong. In Erg mode it doesn't matter what gear you're in.

I never fully utilized the functionality of my Computrainer until I bought the E-book Watts per Kilogram. It does a really nice job of spelling out the different ways to use your CT.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Thanks Miranda, I think I will give the 3D build a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Help [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're technically right - if you just start spinning faster in the same gear (moving the back wheel faster), erg mode will decrease the resistance to maintain watts so that's effectively the same as changing gears.
In practice, this doesn't happen instantly enough to work really well for such short intervals. At least it doesn't on my older CT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Miranda wrote:
You're technically right - if you just start spinning faster in the same gear (moving the back wheel faster), erg mode will decrease the resistance to maintain watts so that's effectively the same as changing gears.
In practice, this doesn't happen instantly enough to work really well for such short intervals. At least it doesn't on my older CT.

If your computrainer is not responding fast enough to make even 15 second interval bouts practical then there is something wrong with your unit. It should only pulse up at a higher actual wattage than set load wattage for a second or so (and even then it is not that much higher than set watts).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for structured interval workouts with short (2-3 min) high intensity efforts, I use the CS program with an ergometer "chart" that I build. If you do a search on ST, you can find a link to a homegrown excel program which is great for creating these charts. Really nice way to do these types of workouts in erg mode without having to manually change the power setting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best way to do this is to use the coaching software. In it you can establish a certain wattage for a certain amount of time. Eaxample: 10 min @ 135 watts, 5 min @ 180w then 4x(30 sec @ 290 watts followed by 30 sec @ 115w) and so on. I use this to build all my workouts. The Computrainer will force you to work at the prescribed watts.

The easiest way to build these workouts is to use this weblink http://63.134.234.143/tri/erg.asp. It will build it for you.

http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Help [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone that has replied, I have a lot of great ideas to try now. Thanks, Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:
The best way to do this is to use the coaching software. In it you can establish a certain wattage for a certain amount of time. Eaxample: 10 min @ 135 watts, 5 min @ 180w then 4x(30 sec @ 290 watts followed by 30 sec @ 115w) and so on. I use this to build all my workouts. The Computrainer will force you to work at the prescribed watts.

The easiest way to build these workouts is to use this weblink http://63.134.234.143/tri/erg.asp. It will build it for you.

I too have been struggling with this. After building the workout . How do you open it in CS? Thanks Tim,
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Help [cobalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobalt wrote:
BigMikeGA wrote:

I too have been struggling with this. After building the workout . How do you open it in CS? Thanks Tim,

The file that the weblink makes is a notepad file (you can also just write them in notepad). You need to rename the file and change the .txt extension to .erg . After that, open coaching software, choose "start" tab and go down to "charts". A browse file window opens up. Choose your file that you just made.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Help [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
cobalt wrote:
BigMikeGA wrote:

The file that the weblink makes is a notepad file (you can also just write them in notepad). You need to rename the file and change the .txt extension to .erg . After that, open coaching software, choose "start" tab and go down to "charts". A browse file window opens up. Choose your file that you just made.

JR Did all the above and it saved as an erg file automatically but when I open charts select erg files its not in there. Cant find it anywhere. Thanks Tim,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cobalt wrote:
J_R wrote:
cobalt wrote:
BigMikeGA wrote:

JR Did all the above and it saved as an erg file automatically but when I open charts select erg files its not in there. Cant find it anywhere. Thanks Tim,

I suggest to either search the file name on your computer or do it again with a "save as" and save it in the coaching software folder (this is the folder the the Coaching Software looks for erg files in by default.
My coaching software folder is located at My Computer\(C:)\CompCS\Erg Files
New CT software is coming soon and should make this all more friendly...I hope.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Help [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks J_R I'll work on it a bit more later and let you know how I make out. Appreciate the help. Tim,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the file directory under CS (Coaching software) there are several file areas. Put it inthe ERG files. Then when you opening Coaching software and hit start charts it should automatically look in that folder. If you do not see the file you put there click the up arrow in the slection box and then pick the ERG file area.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
J_R and Big Mike , I built about 10 workouts in that program. I was only able to find one of them in my documents and successfully opened it in CS and ran it. The problem is I can't find all the others nor can I duplicate my success. In fact when I hit the submit button at the bottom of the screen on the workout program I dont even get save as or save where window it just resets and says done. I sure hope the new software is better cause this is ridiculous. Thanks for your help I will keep trying to repeat my success. Tim,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you build a erg program you should save it into the following directory Programfiles/cs software/erg files. When you open CS software select start/charts it opens a window to select the file. If the window is not the erg files hit the up file directory icon and then navigate to the erg files area, you can then select the file. When you complete a ride and it asks you to save the ride you hit F1 and it save into the prefs file area. After it saves the ride it asks if you want to save the report, if you say yes it saves into the reports file area. You should do a search for the files you cannot find and move them into the erg files file area.

I understand your confusion/frustration. I bought my used Computrainer in December and for the first 7-10 days I was feeling just like you. All I had was the manuals and I think they could be a bit more helpful. Don't fret, you will get it AND the results are worth it. I have a 10% gain in FTP in 6 weeks. Keep at it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're using Windows Vista or 7 you could try looking in a file that is located on your main drive: mine is "C:\Users\User\Downloads"
Quote Reply